Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I've drove both at 70 mph and i can tell you without a doubt the Hardtop is way quieter than the soft top is at 70, that's driving one with a premium soft top and mine with no headliner. I have contemplated adding the hotheads liner just to keep the cab cooler in the summer time. I got a soft top as well but I've never had it on my jeep but I do drive my buddies JT that has the soft top.

I can remove my Hardtop in 15 minutes or less so I haven't saw a need to put the soft top on yet, plus the man bun but that's a whole other topic.
Sponsored

KW80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd, 2021 JT Sport S Diesel
I have and use both but my preference is the soft top for a quick/easy open air experience; the man bun doesnā€™t really bother me, the JT generally prioritizes function over form anyway. That said my hard top is definitely more quiet at interstate speeds; not luxury car quiet but decent even without headliners, which I plan to add at some point. The other big benefit for those living or traveling in cold winter locations is the rear defroster, you canā€™t even scrape the soft top rear window without ruining itā„

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Is the hardtop install fairly simple for one man to attempt in his driveway?
Key wordā€¦..attempt.
If you have abnormally long arms and a strong back you could give it a try. Just remember itā€™s an awkward piece to handle. Your kids could be an asset?

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
I have both and the hardtop is quieter, if you add the hotheads it beats it hands down. The finishing touch is sound deadener on the floor with an armor lite floor. I can actually talk handsfree now.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Key wordā€¦..attempt.
If you have abnormally long arms and a strong back you could give it a try. Just remember itā€™s an awkward piece to handle. Your kids could be an asset?
Dude I'm 5ft 4 and with bed in the back you can do it in 15 minutes or less. It doesn't weigh want JL and JKs weigh. Put some towels down across the top of the truck bed sides, and set it up on the back of the bed. Open the rear window and reach your hand inside and pick it up and walk it across the bed and set it on the back. That easy. I'm no he man and it's easy enough for me. The wife's 5 4 as well and weights 130 and she can do it as well. I'm 44 and so is the wife. @pga202 you can do it no problem.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Dude I'm 5ft 4 and with bed in the back you can do it in 15 minutes or less. It doesn't weigh want JL and JKs weigh. Put some towels down across the top of the truck bed sides, and set it up on the back of the bed. Open the rear window and reach your hand inside and pick it up and walk it across the bed and set it on the back. That easy. I'm no he man and it's easy enough for me. The wife's 5 4 as well and weights 130 and she can do it as well. I'm 44 and so is the wife. @pga202 you can do it no problem.
Yeah, it's not hard to do alone. I always do it alone because my wife won't help me šŸ˜‰. I know sounds like a personal problem.

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hard top is the only way to go. No leaks more security NO flapping top on the freeway

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
That's another reason I am looking for a hardtop, for security reasons.
I have the premium soft top and it seems to get into the truck they need to cut the top and jump in, or hop in the bed and cut the back. Both seem so excessive that this thief would break into anything in front of them.

To stay on topic, love my premium soft top, I had a hard top on my jk and I swear this is quieter, and warm as hell. My toddler is warmer in my jeep than my wife's escape.

I may some day get a hard top, but my JK leaked with the hard top, and I was always too lazy to take the freedom panels off.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'm working on getting both. But the aftermarket is taking way too long to give us viable soft top options. I really want the suntop, but they kind of went dark on me. I think there was a rugged ridge one or something that someone accidentally was sent, like a prototype or something. Not sure what happened with that.

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Iā€™ve had people cut the windows on my soft top Tj because apparently they didnā€™t know they could just unzip them. I never carried anything of value because I knew how easy it was to break in. So the next day I took the top and doors off parked in the same spot with a sign on the steering wheel that said what the hell are you going to steal.
Comes back tomorrow ā€œsteering wheels gone with a note, your moveā€

Sponsored

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I have the premium soft top and it seems to get into the truck they need to cut the top and jump in, or hop in the bed and cut the back. Both seem so excessive that this thief would break into anything in front of them.

To stay on topic, love my premium soft top, I had a hard top on my jk and I swear this is quieter, and warm as hell. My toddler is warmer in my jeep than my wife's escape.

I may some day get a hard top, but my JK leaked with the hard top, and I was always too lazy to take the freedom panels off.
Yeah itā€™s not like a jku with a huge side back window. They need to literally pull a mission impossible move, both of which will be pretty obvious in public.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve had the same mental conflict. Iā€™ve so far settled on rear hard top, with sunrider instead of freedom panels. I swap the freedom panels back in during the worst of winter due to snow load. Happy so far. If I still lived in FL, Iā€™d likely have a soft top year round.

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Yeah itā€™s not like a jku with a huge side back window. They need to literally pull a mission impossible move, both of which will be pretty obvious in public.
Lol exactly. On my TJ I left the doors unlocked... Please help yourself to my music CDs from highschool and that cigarette USB charger dear criminal.

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Lol exactly. On my TJ I left the doors unlocked... Please help yourself to my music CDs from highschool and that cigarette USB charger dear criminal.
Truth. I used to panic with my soft top. I mean if you gotta break in to steal my cat mask you prob need it more then me tbh. Though this is not as much of a worry with the gladiator. On my JKU I just locked up valuables. Hopefully the SIG sticker on the back of my jeep was enough of a "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" deterrent.
Sponsored