Sponsored

Has anyone gone from Synergy steering sector shaft brace to the Metalcloak version?

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
I've had my Synergy for quite some time now and while I've been generally been happy with it, I have not been able to keep it stable. I it needs to be retorqued (the 3/8? bolt that holds the shaft bearing housing) every 1500-2000 miles. Steering gets noticeably loose and then I have to go down there and retorque it. I've tried blue locktite. I suppose I could try RED, but at the same time I'm not sure it is the superior solution anymore.

I saw MetalCloak has a more elegant looking solution but curious if anyone has made the switch or if they are happy with it.
Sponsored

SuperUltraMan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Human Being
I’m about to install the Synergy but gave some consideration to going with Metalcloak.
Ultimately, I decided against the MC because it requires drilling 2 holes into the frame crossmember and that would introduce the possibility to weaken that crossmember.
There’s a lot of users of the Synergy brace without incidents reported.
Maybe something is a little off with yours and can be remedied.
Have you contacted Synergy?

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Thank you for pointing out the MetalCloak version; it will be a simple bolt on for the Mojave.

The other braces/supports do not work on the Mojave because of the reinforced frame.

Edit: I just ordered the MetalCloak.

Thanks guys, I had gone 2 weeks w/o buying any Jeep parts LOL

Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I think on the Diesel and Mojave you have to trim a tab and move a wire clip. my Engineer brain liked that one the best.
You do.
I tried one back when I believed that it would fix my steering issues. Fought it for the better part of a day and could not get it to line up.
It's at the bottom of my pond now and my steering issues have been corrected through other means.

If the Metalcloak was out back then I probably would've installed that one.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah I wanted something that I can take out of the box and install as designed.

I have no problem fabricating and modifying stuff, but if I'm buying something for a specific application......I just want to install it move on to the next mod.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
The MetalCloak offering was intriguing until I read the part where I'd have to drill two large holes into a crossmember. Went with SteerSmarts instead.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I think on the Diesel and Mojave you have to trim a tab and move a wire clip. my Engineer brain liked that one the best.
You do have to trim a little. It's not hard to do. I have a SteerSmart installed on my JTRD.

Sponsored

Darkspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTDR
When you analyze the design the steer smarts was much better than others I compared. Il do the extra work to have long term results.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slightly off topic............so I ordered that Metalcloak brace this morning. One of their custom service reps called me at lunch to just thank me for my order; I thought that was pretty rad

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
You do.
I tried one back when I believed that it would fix my steering issues. Fought it for the better part of a day and could not get it to line up.
It's at the bottom of my pond now and my steering issues have been corrected through other means.

If the Metalcloak was out back then I probably would've installed that one.
Ive read the instructions for the SS Yeti, what was your issue? I do like it the best but what was it that wound up kicking you in the ass?

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I've had my Synergy for quite some time now and while I've been generally been happy with it, I have not been able to keep it stable. I it needs to be retorqued (the 3/8? bolt that holds the shaft bearing housing) every 1500-2000 miles. Steering gets noticeably loose and then I have to go down there and retorque it. I've tried blue locktite. I suppose I could try RED, but at the same time I'm not sure it is the superior solution anymore.

I saw MetalCloak has a more elegant looking solution but curious if anyone has made the switch or if they are happy with it.
Try finding one of these. I have known it as an aircraft lock nut…. Probably has different technical name??
I had the same issue with a few different joints (heim joints on sway bars are even worse….)
Few different causes…. Few different solutions. Stay away from nylocks on any suspension component that has movement…..

McMaster carr can get the nut’s in this photo in almost any size/pitch.
they hold their torque the best of any other nut I have found- they can be taken on and off 25?? Times before they are trash… compared to a nylock that has a 3x?? Removal at max torque spec…. They are worth it.
Kimble Midwest can also get these nuts. Expect to pay about $6-8 a piece….. but they are worth it. If the mount wallows- your going to be in deeper than $6-8 (cost justification).
Kimble Midwest also has “mining grade” nuts- basically a grade 10+ Pinch nut, but they cost even more….

30C31EB2-7F5E-4F6C-A1E3-1DCBE494E73F.jpeg

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Try finding one of these. I have known it as an aircraft lock nut…. Probably has different technical name??
I had the same issue with a few different joints (heim joints on sway bars are even worse….)
Few different causes…. Few different solutions. Stay away from nylocks on any suspension component that has movement…..

McMaster carr can get the nut’s in this photo in almost any size/pitch.
they hold their torque the best of any other nut I have found- they can be taken on and off 25?? Times before they are trash… compared to a nylock that has a 3x?? Removal at max torque spec…. They are worth it.
Kimble Midwest can also get these nuts. Expect to pay about $6-8 a piece….. but they are worth it. If the mount wallows- your going to be in deeper than $6-8 (cost justification).
Kimble Midwest also has “mining grade” nuts- basically a grade 10+ Pinch nut, but they cost even more….
Thanks but a nut won't fix this for me. it is the bolt that goes into the aluminum bearing housing that won't stay.

Jeep Gladiator Has anyone gone from Synergy steering sector shaft brace to the Metalcloak version? IMG_3832.JPG
Sponsored