Sponsored

Have a 2022 JT, You think Jeep will ever fix the Aux Battery problems?

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
2019 Subaru is still on the OEM battery at 50,000 miles.
Every other time I go in the garage it's making noises running self diagnostics. I can hear the fuel being tested.
So no, it's not modern vehicles. It's modern Jeep vehicles.
Our 2019 JLUR still had the stock battery when it was stolen with 62k miles on it, I don't think it's as common as these forums make it seem. You only hear from those with issues.
Sponsored

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Hate to say it. I am including current and more modern vehicles. I drive about 100 miles a day round trip for work. I don’t know anyone that has these issues with another brand. My 2017 Subaru hasn’t needed a battery yet. 145,000 miles. My 2013 F150 didn’t get a new battery for the first 198,000 miles. Which I just traded for this Jeep at 287,000 miles and just one battery replacement. My 2011 Subaru never needed a new battery. 150,000 miles. My 2004 subaru didn’t need a new battery. 165,000 miles. My 2001 Mustang GT never needed one 65,000 miles. My 2004 F150 never needed one at 165,000 miles. And the list goes on. All these vehicles has ECM,s that drained the batteries. Never an issue. Why should we have to put Better Batteries in under the warranties? And why should we have to modify the vehicle and Delete the Aux.

There is a problem with the system. Plain and simple.
@JeepCares
Those that buy better batteries don't seem to have issues, that shows it's not the system. Quality control of the oem battery manufacturer seems to be the issue in my opinion.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Quality control of the oem battery manufacturer seems to be the issue in my opinion.
I do not know if it is the quality or they are just building them to a lower spec for price point that FCA/Stellantis demands.

The reason I say this, is that I recently replaced my OEM main battery that was pushing 3 years. Had the OEM labeling on it, but also had "Deka" stamped in the case molding. Deka is made by East Penn Manufacturing and their retail sale batteries are known to be stellar quality.

GeneralMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
I suspect that the dealer installed GPS trackers on a lot of our JT's are the culprit. I know for a fact that it's causing a parasitic draw.

How? I keep my Gladiator on a battery tender when I leave for work trips. Before I ripped off the GPS tracker, I noticed that the "battery charging" light on the tender would trigger a couple of times per hour. But since I unplugged the tracker from its OBD power source, the green "fully charged" light now stays on indefinitely.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
It's a craps shoot...my 20 overland the batteries survived until the day I traded it in, 39 months. My wife's 21 had both batteries replaced under warranty within the first year. Neither had the aftermarket gps thingie in it.

But one of those certainly wouldn't help, it would be adding more parasitic draw.

Sponsored

Flyboy2109

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator, 2004 CTS-V, 2001 Tahoe, 1990 Dakot
Occupation
retired Pilot: USCG, Delta, Netjets
It's not really a problem.

They buy batteries from the lowest bidder. So you get a cheap set of batteries.
If they fail under warranty, have Jeep replace them. If they fail after warranty, don't put cheap batteries back in.

I'm heading to 5 years now with factory batteries. Yes I check them and am watching for them to start to fail. But until they do, they stay in.

The whole auto battery industry has gone downhill. Used to be you could find 60 month batteries with no problem. Good luck finding them for the JT.
Right! Haven't had an OEM battery last very long. 1994 Suburban the worst, three days.

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
I've said this on another battery thread, but if you buy a new JT/JL, insist that they put it into the service depart to have the batteries tested while you're waiting on finance and make-ready. 95% chance one of the two batteries will test defective, especially for these 2023s that have been sitting on the lots for 6 months to a year. My last two 2023s, one a JL and one a JT both had bad batteries, the JL had a bad aux, the JT had a bad main. Easy money for the service department, so they usually will oblige.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Hell no, delete that shit and be done

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Anyone have a pic of the diesel version aux batt arrangement? Before i start tearing things apart. With diesel exhaust arrangement, is there room to gut the aux and its mounting and fab up a larger holder and put in another full sized but deep cycle batt there

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I know most people do the Aux Delete Mod. But that’s not really a fix for a problem. @JeepCares
No, MOST do not do the delete. You are reading forums where people gather to share how to do it, but it's a safe bet that over 95% of all Jeeps sold will never see the delete or any mods at all.

Since everyone is having so many issues the Aux Battery. Will there ever be a fix. Or will we be regulated to buying new batteries every 18 months or so.
Where do you get that "everyone" is having so many issues? the internet? It's a place where people with sick vehicles gather. it's not everyone. Even in these forums with over 14,000 members, most do not have the problem. And the 14K forum members are a tiny little drop in the pool of all Jeep owners.

Me - on my second JT, no aux battery issues.
We've also owned several Grand Cherokees with the exact same setup - only one had a battery failure after 3 years (not your 18 months)

My son had his Ford Fusion battery replaced after 2 or 3 years.
Customers in a parts store where I was buying a new battery were commenting that "can't make a battery last even 4 years these days".

You are visiting a hospital to see how healthy the human race is - and are finding most are dying, or have cancer or need surgery of some sort - so most humans are in really sad shape.
Don't get your numbers from the internet.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Problem is sitting at the Stealership for 3-4 hours while they determine if the Batteries are junk. When it’s obvious they are.
Obvious to you - an automotive electric and battery expert who has fully and properly charged them, reset the IBS, and done a load test on each battery after a full proper charge with an AGM charger?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Those that buy better batteries don't seem to have issues, that shows it's not the system. Quality control of the oem battery manufacturer seems to be the issue in my opinion.
Exactly - a couple of forum members have shown things work fine if you buy proper quality batteries, the best and biggest you can, charge them fully before installing them, and take proper care of them.

OP
OP

Pstores

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys S 3.0
Occupation
Ceane Operator
Well out of the 75 plus Jeep owners I’ve met. And talking with a few 30 plus year Mechanics. It is a major issue. I am sure with your Rocket Science Degree there will be more to come on this.
Sponsored