Sponsored

HELP ME DECIDE! Gladiator Mojave VS 2023 Ranger Raptor

GOT FLOYD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2021 Mojave gladiator
Thanks. I’m glad to hear that. Seems like everyone is enjoying their Gladiator which is awesome to hear. Can’t wait to get my Mojave and go out on the dunes and have some fun. I miss going off roading and it’s time to get back to it.
Welcome to the Dirt side my friend
Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
In my usual fashion I’ve simply moved to the end to offer my experiences. None of us have experienced the Ranger Raptor yet. Will Ford actually deliver on it is a good place to start. If you’re daydreaming about a truck in a few yrs maybe thats a great option!

I’ve had Chevy’s ZR2 offering, it by far out handles the Mojave on and Off road and in basic form.

The new ZR2 should be on your list also. Sure no removable doors/roof but you can get a sweet sunroof in it.

In my experience the Mojave looks amazing, doors off is wonderful. Aftermarket support is amazing of course. If you plan to go balls out modding it thrn go Mojave for sure. If you plan only basic simple add ons the other options are good. There will be lag time to get all the goods out and available though.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
The ZF8 in the gladiator is the best torque converted transmission on the market today.
The zf8 in the diesel is the best ;) corrected that for ya 🤣

Op: consider what you have for oem support over there. If you're looking for ripping it to redline in the dessert and want better speed and street driving, get the raptor. The 3.6 doesn't have the power for true dessert running unless you boost it but then reliability goes out the window.

Just my opinion don't flame me bros n siss.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Easy choice to me…nothing says happy dune riding in Saudi Arabia more than a door-less, open top truck and an Arab Keffiye head garb waving in the wind

Then you won’t have to do this for an open air experience 👇🏾
Jeep Gladiator HELP ME DECIDE! Gladiator Mojave VS 2023 Ranger Raptor 4E5D56EC-4480-422B-9B39-02C72F38C8BE

All jokes aside, I’m not sure what would be best. I’ve never been dune riding and I’m bias to Jeeps 🤷🏾‍♂️

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I have an F150 with the 10 speed and it shifts weird at times. It skips gears if you’re easy on it.

The “fix” I found was run in sport mode. It hits every gear and drives awesome, but it does make the gas pedal a little touchy.

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
transmission problems are rare on these. ZF designs a great transmission. They are used in rolls royces and bentleys and i think almost the entire BMW lineup. But manufacturing has tolerances, and nothing is perfect, there's always going to be reports of failures if you look hard enough on anything mass produced.

steering issues shouldn't exist on new models. they had a TSB that fixed the issue, all manufactured from that point forward were manufactured with the fix (switch from aluminum to steel).

Death wobbles are an issue, but it's not a gladiator issue, just an issue with any solid front axle vehicle. And it's not a widespread issue at this time (gladiators are still new and time is the true test). It would not be something you should go in expecting to come across if your goals are minimal modification. Yes, it's a possibility, but not a likely one.

Ranger Raptor is cool, don't get me wrong, but until you can take off the doors and top it's just not comparable.
I’m not sure if the 3.6 comes with a ZF Tranny. I’ve found articles indicating the 850RE is a torqueflite unit built by Chrysler Group LLC at the Kokomo Transmission Plant and the Kokomo Casting plant, in Kokomo, Indiana

The 8HP75 is assembled in Germany when paired to the Italian 3.0L diesel. Chrysler does have a plant here in the states where they also manufacture the 8HP75 under contract, but I believe these are mated to the 6.4.

“What is the difference between 850RE and 8HP75 transmission?

The difference between 850RE and 8HP75 transmission is that the former is an older model while the latter is the newer model. The 8HP75 is a significant improvement over the 850RE, offering better fuel economy, quicker acceleration, and smoother shifting. If you’re considering a new transmission for your vehicle, the 8HP75 is the better option.”

Not to mention the 8HP75 is heavier duty in that it’s behind the 470ftlb of torque 6.4 Hemi and the 442ftlb of torque in the 3.0 Diesel. Unfortunately the Mohave comes with neither engine as an option.

Luis guido

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator rubicon
I am a Jeep and a Ford guy, therefore I strongly recommend you chose the one has the better Dealer Service, you are going to quite use it.

WVKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
How was the 10 speed transmission on your Ranger? Are they as bad as everyone says?

I don’t mind the huge infotainment system but I do mind the dashboard being a full screen. I don’t trust it to be honest.
The transmission was ok. Not as smooth as the Gladiators for sure.

jeventures

First Name
JonEric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business
I would buy the ranger in that scenario except for how much more I like the Jeep interior. The current ranger is a long standing drivetrain proven in Australia and the turbo motor has good report in sand. The Jeep will be slower and less nimble but still fun and has the cool factor. I don’t think you would be disappointed by a Majave…but objectively there is a a reason solid axels aren’t the go-to for desert environments.

Sponsored

vicsvx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.0
I didn't read the whole thread... But you will always find more negative comments about any vehicle than you will positive comments. People have a thing for drama.

But with that said, I love my sport s eco. No issues yet at 22k. I have dead steering which is a known issue but I had plans to replace the dampner and relocation kit anyway so I don't consider it a problem

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
transmission problems are rare on these. ZF designs a great transmission. They are used in rolls royces and bentleys and i think almost the entire BMW lineup. But manufacturing has tolerances, and nothing is perfect, there's always going to be reports of failures if you look hard enough on anything mass produced.

steering issues shouldn't exist on new models. they had a TSB that fixed the issue, all manufactured from that point forward were manufactured with the fix (switch from aluminum to steel).

Death wobbles are an issue, but it's not a gladiator issue, just an issue with any solid front axle vehicle. And it's not a widespread issue at this time (gladiators are still new and time is the true test). It would not be something you should go in expecting to come across if your goals are minimal modification. Yes, it's a possibility, but not a likely one.

Ranger Raptor is cool, don't get me wrong, but until you can take off the doors and top it's just not comparable.
I'm a total manual transmission afficionado but the ZF in the jeep is the best automatic I've ever driven to the point I didn't regret buying one to get the higher tow rating. You shouldn't be disappointed by it, great track record with a global footprint.

The big difference between the two choices is that you won't get the open air freedom of riding in the desert in the evening with the roof open and doors off in the Ford. Nothing else like it. Friends will want to ride with you.

OP
OP

Rico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
In my usual fashion I’ve simply moved to the end to offer my experiences. None of us have experienced the Ranger Raptor yet. Will Ford actually deliver on it is a good place to start. If you’re daydreaming about a truck in a few yrs maybe thats a great option!

I’ve had Chevy’s ZR2 offering, it by far out handles the Mojave on and Off road and in basic form.

The new ZR2 should be on your list also. Sure no removable doors/roof but you can get a sweet sunroof in it.

In my experience the Mojave looks amazing, doors off is wonderful. Aftermarket support is amazing of course. If you plan to go balls out modding it thrn go Mojave for sure. If you plan only basic simple add ons the other options are good. There will be lag time to get all the goods out and available though.

If you are talking about the Colorado ZR2 unfortunately it’s not available in my country (Saudi Arabia) we only have the Silverado ZR2 which is a full size truck and I’m not a fan of getting a full size truck as my daily driver plus it costs $110,000.

OP
OP

Rico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
I have an F150 with the 10 speed and it shifts weird at times. It skips gears if you’re easy on it.

The “fix” I found was run in sport mode. It hits every gear and drives awesome, but it does make the gas pedal a little touchy.
Not sure keeping it on sport mode the whole time will work for me. I will be getting speed tickets left and right haha

OP
OP

Rico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
The transmission was ok. Not as smooth as the Gladiators for sure.
That’s what I heard from couple of my friends and people online. That the transmission skips gears, harsh shifting at times and jerk when down shifting. Which doesn’t sound fun when thinking about specially when I’m going to buy the truck brand new.
Sponsored