Sponsored

Help me to pick and spec my first Jeep

SWAT226

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I am new here so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions

Have been looking for a truck to carry my family and dog to park and ski in winter after a terrible incident of being stuck in snow for hours

The use of the truck would be more like daily driver (will be my only car) of 30 miles highway and occasionally trail and mud. Might also explore to some extreme later

Now I am not sure if I should pick the Rubicon or Mojave. I have heard a lot of people complain about Rubicon is not a good car on freeway and daily drive.
Also now sure what engine I should get with the car

Appreciate any input

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
If a daily driver, no towing and if you donā€™t go extreme, it depends what options you want, an Overland might fit your needs and will be getting better mileage then the 4.10 geared jeeps. I tow a small camper , boat and landscape trailer and not hard core off road, but a lot of surfishing East Coast, wanted pretty loaded with leather ended up with Mojave to tow better and love it. You should go to Jeep website and build what you want, add what you want, then go forth educated. Diesel option sounds great , but has itā€™s costs and if you are buying it to get better mileage not really justified , but if you want more power bingo!...Jack

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
If a daily driver, no towing and if you donā€™t go extreme, it depends what options you want, an Overland might fit your needs and will be getting better mileage then the 4.10 geared jeeps.
Agree with this. I bought Overland because it will be my DD for at least 3 years. I don't do rock crawling, and I can't imagine me needing the 4:1 transfer case. In fact, for my needs I wish the 2.72:1 was more like 2:1.

So if I had not ordered an Overland, the next step up I would have considered would have been Mojave, not Rubicon.

I do light towing with it, and it does just fine.

Last edited:

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
If cost is a consideration and you plan on 35 inch tires, you might consider a Sport S with the Max Tow option. The 4.10 gears will be efficient with larger tires and you can get whatever options you want and save a little $$$. Play with the "build" tool on the Jeep website.

The Overland Edition is the luxury edition without breaking the bank or needing to go rock crawling. It's probably the most efficient in stock form and still very capable.

Buzzlb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland: The Overcon ā€˜82 CJ-7
Build Thread
Link
Drive each; Mojave, Rubi & Overland. I drove the F-150, Ran1500 & Taco TRD. Wanted a Truck that was Nice on the inside, went with the Overland over the Rubi because it is easier to change the outside, what I was going to do anyway, and I am not doing heavy towing or rock crawling.
Pay the $$$ and get what you want and are going to Use.

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Drive both. Look for one with the full time transfer case. Itā€™ll be helpful going up to big bear in inclimate weather

Last edited:

squarefoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR, 22 JL 4xe
Occupation
Self Employed
A base model sport will get you most everywhere you want to go offroad. The Rubicon is for extreme rocky trails, Mojave for higher speed desert running. If you want nicer appointments look at the Overland trim model. It's all just money, but even the most basic model is very capable off road. Talk to Rob Trachtman at Tuttle Click in Irvine for the best deal in SoCal.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
IMO the sport S is pretty well appointed and luxurious, the only thing it doesnā€™t have is leather, I prefer cloth, cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, this is my third Jeep with pretty much the same black cloth seats and they have all held up very well with 2 kids and a dog.
Sponsored