Sponsored

How do Gladiators handle on the highway?

jimcald

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon JT
I’m wondering if a couple of hundred pounds in the truck will help settle it down?
I know that my Super Duty like some weight in it but I realize that the SD is a different animal.
I used to keep about 350 pounds of sandbags in the bed of my Superduty (350) all year round and it rode like a Lincoln with that extra weight in it.
Sponsored

Dcoins

First Name
Donald Coins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
At the end of the day you’re driving a box. You’re going to have highway wind noise and occasionally you’re going to be pushed around by wind. It’s a Jeep...

NektoInPhx

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99Taco4x2, 04Taco4x4, 13JKSport
Coming from a lot of Tacomas, currently a 04 lifted Tacoma CrewCab on 33s, and a 13 JK sport 2door on 35s, the handling was in the middle between the two, which is not great. My JK was a white knuckler anything over 40.

First thing I did was reduce the tire pressure from 42 to 36. Helped a little, maybe.

Bought a Fox 2.0 ATS, helped a lot, but the dead zone in the middle was still about 2 inches for any small corrections I did need to make.

Then bought her a lifetime alignment in prep for a dealership fight. Turns out the alignment was quite a bit off from spec. Also helped a little, maybe.

Finally worked up the nerve to fight with the dealer (Scottsdale Airpark) all day, because JeepCares did exactly zero, and they were all "Yeah, ok, updated the software, you're good to go" ... now the dead zone is down to about a half-inch, which is what I'd expect from a solid axle vehicle in the year 2019. w00t!

Someone who isn't me might have suddenly looked down to see it going over 90mph on the freeway...

Noise? not much. I get a loud resonance flutter around 80mph from the closed softtop, but once you know what it is... It's a soft top thing, I deal with it, and just put the top back when it bugs me!!

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
All wrangler style jeeps get blown around in high winds, they are a box on wheels. Keep in mind a cow is more aerodynamic than a wrangler lol
LOL, I'm coming from driving a sports car most of the time for the last 5 years, I feel so disconnected from the road, like I'm riding a flying carpet down the road. I find is pretty smooth for a truck and not that noisy, I do have the 3 pc hardtop with liner. I love the seating position, find everything pretty well at reach and it sits like a nice arm chair.

Last edited:

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I'll be coming from a very smooth 4runner and a 1994 Toyota pickup with 33's, so I'm thinking it'll feel just fine!
I haven't had time to test drive one yet but plan to very soon.

Sponsored

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Be honest. Asking about stock not modified Gladiators. I was fairly unimpressed when I test drove a Gladiator on the highway. It reminded me of a VW van getting pushed around in crosswinds. Off the highway it felt like any other decent modern vehicle... no issues. But on the highway at 75 mph I wondered how much I would enjoy a 5 hour drive... or not.
I can tell you that my soft top is starting to generate a lot of noise. Basically 72mph and higher. Worse when there is a crosswind at that speed. Going to have to take by the dealer when there is more info out there...see if they can address with a stronger bow or something.

UPDATE: I added an AVS Aeroskin and that actually seemed to change the draft just enough to lower the noise.

Last edited:

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have 12.50 x 35 toyo tires and NO COMPLAINTS on hiway handling. We just got back from a 2600 mile trip from Sacramento through Nevada Utah and Arizona some wind but no problem with handling. A lot of the driving was at 80-85 mph without a problem with wondering. I run 38 lbs. tire pressure

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
I’m guessing if I didn’t read so many threads about wandering I would’ve assumed the steering was quite good for a truck. Just in case I bought an adjustable Teraflex Nexus stabilizer for my Mojave and while it doesn’t turn the JT into a Miata, it seems to help reduce the dead spots a bit.

Definitely has some wind noise even with the freedom top when you get above 70 but it’s to be expected as it’s a convertible shoebox. Turning up the stereo helps🙂.

At least there are no whistling noises that I’ve had in SUVs in the past that drive you nuts.

TexasCajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a sport s because I knew I would be driving up to 3 hours at a time on the highway. It handles just fine and I dont notice any difference over any other vehicle I have owned.

Sponsored

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I JUST sold my totally stock 2017 Wrangler Sport two door a month after getting my 2020 Gladiator Rubicon. They just look alike but are very different animals. Kinda like Shaq just looks like a human but is truly something else! ha ha

The Gladiator feels totally different. Coming from my 2014 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD it makes more noise, natch! But otherwise drives nice at speed. I don't anticipate any MORE reaction to wind than the bigass Denali.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
My sport is really nice to drive on the highway. I've taken trips to Galveston and back, and Austin and back, and I've not experienced anything that I would attribute directly to the Jeep. It's all stock at the moment, by the way. On some types of pavement, I can hear tire reverb more, but it goes away when the pavement changes so I don't attribute that to the Gladiator. I have the sound dampening panels throughout the cab and the freedom panels, it came that way from the factory, and I'm sure that helps as well.

Sunset 2025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
The noise really hasn't been an issue - it is a box and it's windy in TX; that's why God made stereos and the Foo Fighters. Come to think of it, I really should get my hearing checked. I've taken my 20 Overland on several 17+ hr road trips and the thing that bugs me most is when the 'mystery heat' starts to come into the cabin. In the next week I'll be leveling her out, adding some 35in Falcons and a Bestop so I'm guessing I'll be turning up the music more. Happy 4th!!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
WONDERFUL on the highway. Steering gear replaced solved all wandering issues. No pull, no slack, no dead spot, no play. Drove it from IA to CO and back and going out to CO we had strong winds in NE and KS - yeah, we had to compensate but then it's a truck in the wind. On the way back the winds were mild and zero issues. It's a joy to drive, that's why it's become my daily driver, not just a truck. Driving around Colorado Springs - no worries, parks, mountains, interstate, Pike's Peak, handled like a dream.

Wandering is NOT a Jeep thing, play in wheel is NOT a jeep thing. Pulling is NOT a Jeep thing.

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
It's all relative to what you are used to. Compared to a Viper, the Jeep sucks on the highway. Compared to the JK platform, the JT is light years ahead and handles amazing!
Sponsored