Sponsored

How do Gladiators handle on the highway?

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Thunderbird
Coming from a 2017 GMC Canyon, I can definitely feel the difference. But, I'm pretty much used to it after only a few days. This is my first Jeep and first solid front axle vehicle, so I immediately felt the difference. But, after reaserching her and other Jeep-centric websites I knew this would be part of owning one.

Happy so far!
Sponsored

OP
OP
TYJ

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
FWIW, I drove 9 hours in my RAM 1500 to go pick up my Gladiator, traded in the RAM, and drove 9 hours back in the Gladiator. That was my first ever experience driving a jeep on an interstate. It was pretty eye opening the difference in steering and wind impact to holding a line. I aired down to 35psi mid trip (it was 41 from dealer) and that helped a bit but was still way different.

I started looking into what I could do to make it wander less. To me, it felt like the steering calibration was just "off" more than anything else. Like there was a big dead zone +/-5 degrees from TDC and then when the steering did start to engage, it was very sensitive. Effectively I was overcorrecting as I was used to how the RAM steering was.

That trip was last weekend. Today is friday and I've driven on the interstate a few times since then for just a few miles and put another couple hundred miles on it since. I learned how to stop overcorrecting and I'm happy to say that I almost never notice it now. I don't think I've gotten used to the wander I think I've just figured out how to subconsciously steer it without overcorrecting.

I'm totally satisfied with the steering/highway characteristics now. I know that probably doesn't help your buying decision but I wanted to provide a jeep newbie's experience as an anecdote in case it was helpful.
VERY helpful post! Thank you.

deweyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (white, tan interior, premium top, auto, tow, Sirius, aftermarket bedliner), 2007 Ridgeline, 2002 Mustang Convertible, 2012 Jeep Patriot 4WD, 2015 Inifiniti QX60
Occupation
Attorney
My Sport S "wanders" a bit. Better than the JKU I drove in Kauai in January, but not a whole lot.

Troutman

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 jkx, 16 jkuhr, 2020 gladiator
All wrangler style jeeps get blown around in high winds, they are a box on wheels. Keep in mind a cow is more aerodynamic than a wrangler lol

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I test drove a Sport S and an Overland back to back. The Sport S seemed to wander noticeably more than the Overland. There could be some minor differences in handling between the different trim levels due to the different Tire & wheel packages. I ended up purchasing the Overland and it's been pretty good on the highway, considering the front solid axles and aero limitations.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, I drove 9 hours in my RAM 1500 to go pick up my Gladiator, traded in the RAM, and drove 9 hours back in the Gladiator. That was my first ever experience driving a jeep on an interstate. It was pretty eye opening the difference in steering and wind impact to holding a line. I aired down to 35psi mid trip (it was 41 from dealer) and that helped a bit but was still way different.

I started looking into what I could do to make it wander less. To me, it felt like the steering calibration was just "off" more than anything else. Like there was a big dead zone +/-5 degrees from TDC and then when the steering did start to engage, it was very sensitive. Effectively I was overcorrecting as I was used to how the RAM steering was.

That trip was last weekend. Today is friday and I've driven on the interstate a few times since then for just a few miles and put another couple hundred miles on it since. I learned how to stop overcorrecting and I'm happy to say that I almost never notice it now. I don't think I've gotten used to the wander I think I've just figured out how to subconsciously steer it without overcorrecting.

I'm totally satisfied with the steering/highway characteristics now. I know that probably doesn't help your buying decision but I wanted to provide a jeep newbie's experience as an anecdote in case it was helpful.
This is how I felt when I bought my JKU Wrangler in 2013. I came from a BMW M3 at the time and it was a big change for me. Now 6 years later and I don't notice the handling that much any more.

However to address the OP's question I DO still notice it on long drives. Your body adapts to it day to day but on long drives (4+ hours) I notice my shoulders getting tired way more then in my wifes 3 series, or my fathers super duty. Also if you end up doing a long drive with bad cross winds (like are common here in ID and in UT and NV) it becomes really bad. It just comes down to how often you plan on doing long drives and if your ok dealing with it for the other features you get out of the truck.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I have to admit having owned multiple jeeps, having driven military jeeps for over 20 years, I no longer notice steering wander, driven for years without doors or canvas, finding some not a lot of nostalgia for the open air life. My jt with hard top, air, Sirius xm, navi, heated seats and steering wheel, cup holders. The ability to back up to my trailer without a ground guide, travel 70 mph and talk with my passengers without ear protection this a great leap for me. My jt for me is the lap of luxury, I do admit right now the bank loves the jeep more than me, but I will over come in time a lot of time.

TxGladiator

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Just did a 6.5 hour trip to the coast and it was a brutal drive on the way down.
Heavy cross winds had me hanging on to the steering wheel with both hands at 74 mph for most of the drive.
Tires are set at 36 and I’m wondering if I need to go a lb or two lower?
That being said,I really love my JT and wouldn’t trade it.

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Just did a 6.5 hour trip to the coast and it was a brutal drive on the way down.
Heavy cross winds had me hanging on to the steering wheel with both hands at 74 mph for most of the drive.
Tires are set at 36 and I’m wondering if I need to go a lb or two lower?
That being said,I really love my JT and wouldn’t trade it.
Try driving faster, it'l be over quicker ;)

Sponsored

wch_Chip

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I had quite a bit of wandering even at 36PSI. Replacing the stock tires with 35 KO2s has eliminated the wander.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
My Gladiator is the best driving Wrangler-esque vehicle I’ve ever bought. I’ve had four. I liken the Wrangler to a brick on a roller skate, the old side by side kind. A little pivot across the long axis affects your direction. The flatness of the jeep really catches wind. I’ve felt less push in a 15 passenger van than my JK. The little curve in the sides of the van help a lot.

You may be able to tweak the handling with pressure adjustments or different tires, but I agree with this being a gut feel for yourself. If it really bothers you, I’d suggest moving on. For me, I actually enjoy the free carnival ride! It keeps me engaged with the drive. I drove bigger Chevy trucks for many years during a Jeep hiatus and rediscovered my love for the trip itself when I got back into a Wrangler. My Gladiator is a complete dream compared to any of my Wranglers.

Follow your gut and good luck with your choice.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I had quite a bit of wandering even at 36PSI. Replacing the stock tires with 35 KO2s has eliminated the wander.
what trim JT did you have and what stock tires?

Breaktrack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Okay, I’ve been on a road trip since the day after I picked up my new Gladiator and that will be six weeks ago come Monday, July 29th. So far I’ve got 8,147 miles since I drove it off the lot in Houston, Texas. I’m currently in Helena, Montana and will be heading out of here in about a week to drive to Alaska. All that to say I understand your experience with the Gladiator on the highway. This is my 8th Jeep vehicle in a row, and I traded my 2012 JKUR in on my Gladiator Rubicon. I have noticed a little bit of susceptibility to wander/ wind drift from time to time, but really no worse than my two JKs I had previously. It has driven quite well on just about all the terrain I’ve tried it on, like summiting Pikes Peak, Black Bear road to the waterfall and power station near Telluride, desert roads in Arizona and Utah, you name it, it’s done it quite well. We shall see how it does on the Haul Road!

Mac
Sponsored