Sponsored

How do Gladiators handle on the highway?

Tonopah01

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT auto; 2005 Wrangler TJ Unlimited
Occupation
retired
I drove a Gladiator Overland recently and immediately noticed the slight constant wandering at freeway speeds. I'm pretty sure the tire pressure was too high. I drive my JK Rubi on 33's at 30psi and the Gladiator really felt unfamiliar (not in a good way either). But, I do plan to get one, Rubicon, and run my tires at 30psi. I'm sure I will adjust and it will be fine.
Sponsored

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Okay, I’ve been on a road trip since the day after I picked up my new Gladiator and that will be six weeks ago come Monday, July 29th. So far I’ve got 8,147 miles since I drove it off the lot in Houston, Texas. I’m currently in Helena, Montana and will be heading out of here in about a week to drive to Alaska. All that to say I understand your experience with the Gladiator on the highway. This is my 8th Jeep vehicle in a row, and I traded my 2012 JKUR in on my Gladiator Rubicon. I have noticed a little bit of susceptibility to wander/ wind drift from time to time, but really no worse than my two JKs I had previously. It has driven quite well on just about all the terrain I’ve tried it on, like summiting Pikes Peak, Black Bear road to the waterfall and power station near Telluride, desert roads in Arizona and Utah, you name it, it’s done it quite well. We shall see how it does on the Haul Road!

Mac
Another unanticipated risk: inability to stop driving

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Launch Edition with the Wildpeak ATs.
Crap, I'm putting launch edition wheels with the wildpeaks ATs on my sport s. Hopefully I just need to go lower than 36psi.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
H
Okay, I’ve been on a road trip since the day after I picked up my new Gladiator and that will be six weeks ago come Monday, July 29th. So far I’ve got 8,147 miles since I drove it off the lot in Houston, Texas. I’m currently in Helena, Montana and will be heading out of here in about a week to drive to Alaska. All that to say I understand your experience with the Gladiator on the highway. This is my 8th Jeep vehicle in a row, and I traded my 2012 JKUR in on my Gladiator Rubicon. I have noticed a little bit of susceptibility to wander/ wind drift from time to time, but really no worse than my two JKs I had previously. It has driven quite well on just about all the terrain I’ve tried it on, like summiting Pikes Peak, Black Bear road to the waterfall and power station near Telluride, desert roads in Arizona and Utah, you name it, it’s done it quite well. We shall see how it does on the Haul Road!

Mac
Hopefully you got a 3 year 24,000 mile per year lease. :CWL:

Sponsored

wch_Chip

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Crap, I'm putting launch edition wheels with the wildpeaks ATs on my sport s. Hopefully I just need to go lower than 36psi.
Maybe I'm just used to it? Or maybe not all Wildpeaks are created equal. There's plenty of people running them with no issue and there's also people with Sports and Overlands that comment on how much it likes to wander.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I'm just used to it? Or maybe not all Wildpeaks are created equal. There's plenty of people running them with no issue and there's also people with Sports and Overlands that comment on how much it likes to wander.
only time will tell. i've got a 6 hour drive home on the stock sport S wheels/tires, then i'll throw on the wildpeaks, the week after I gotta drive 7 hours round trip to fix my deer stand door. Somebody didn't shut it, and the rain completely destroyed the door, i knew it was a matter of time (hollow core interior door), but it should have given more time than 1 year.

Blah!

the-dude-abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020

Mac
Way to make me jelly, Mac ;):like:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
The only thing I've learned is we are a bunch of hard driving bastardos. Look at all the miles, places, and times already had by this little batch of early run JT's. I'm getting proud of the 2020. This thing chews dirt and eats highway. F'A right. Hey, here's pics ya might like:

mb-jeep-alaska-highway2.jpg

2003-JEEP-Liberty-Edition-Rocky-Mountain-Vintage-Original.jpg

040907tr_02_z+shlomo_fattal+custom_jeep_pickup_truck_rendering.jpg

9ca33777a90e66af5adfe551876e9a36.jpg

Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a Gladiator Overland recently and immediately noticed the slight constant wandering at freeway speeds. I'm pretty sure the tire pressure was too high. I drive my JK Rubi on 33's at 30psi and the Gladiator really felt unfamiliar (not in a good way either). But, I do plan to get one, Rubicon, and run my tires at 30psi. I'm sure I will adjust and it will be fine.
I put bigger tires & different wheels the 1st day or two & run 33# my Overland doesn’t wonder at all , it rides better than any Jeep to date that i have had

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator, 1998 TJ 1947, CJ2-A Willys
I know you are asking around stock but since putting my 35's on and running 37psi its been much better.... hang on does that mean 40's will make it even more stable? I might have just found an excuse to get 40's

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I’m wondering if a couple of hundred pounds in the truck will help settle it down?
I know that my Super Duty like some weight in it but I realize that the SD is a different animal.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
I am new to the Jeep world. I have owned trucks my whole life. Drove a Jeep Wrangler 3 years ago in Hawaii, and was hooked. Problem was, needed a truck. Now the Gladiator! I am buying one later this year. Drove a Sport S with auto last week. Top and doors off. It was GREAT. I thought the ride was smooth, handled just fine. Tons of fun. Looking forward to getting mine. Tired of driving boring trucks.

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
Be honest. Asking about stock not modified Gladiators. I was fairly unimpressed when I test drove a Gladiator on the highway. It reminded me of a VW van getting pushed around in crosswinds. Off the highway it felt like any other decent modern vehicle... no issues. But on the highway at 75 mph I wondered how much I would enjoy a 5 hour drive... or not.
So far, the only folks I hear complaining about JT handling, are non-Jeep drivers, coming from some other vehicle. Anyone who’s driven across the country in a TJ or a CJ, or even driven a JL regularly, love the JT handling! ;{
Sponsored