Sponsored

How do you deal with the thought of another full size truck?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. My Gladiator replaced my 2014 JKU, which couldn't tow shit for a trailer, so we bought a 2005 F250 diesel that we paid cash for three years ago that tows the 7,000 lb 26 foot trailer. The F250 goes to Lowe's and tows the trailer 4-5 times a year. That's why it only has 80,000 original miles on it (that and a guy from AZ who towed the F250 behind a 46' motor coach for 10 years)!
I bought my Cummins new in 2007, so Iā€™ve long paid it off. Only thing it costs me is liability insurance every month and a tag once a year. I think Iā€™m right at 62,000 original miles on it.

2005...Thatā€™s a 6,0 Powerstroke. Has it had ARP headstuds put in? Iā€™d recommend it strongly for preventative future issues. The 6.0 PSDā€™s have well-known head gasket failure issues at about a 75% rate. Just figured Iā€™d give you a heads-up to watch out for, if you havenā€™t already upgraded them. Once those factory head bolts stretch and cause a head gasket failure, it opens up a Pandoraā€™s box of problems. Iā€™d do an EGR delete at the same time, too. Another well-known problematic feature on the 6.0ā€™s.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
This is not a ā€œsecond guessā€ thread... just a how do you deal with looking at another bigger truck and thinking itā€™s cool. How have you made your gladiator more suitable to you for bigger truck needs.

What I said in my initial post defines what I think about the truck... itā€™s awesome.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I had a F250 Super Duty. A ā€˜06 4 door long bed 4x4 6 speed manual monster. I traded it for a ā€˜14 Silverado because my wife was not comfortable driving the stick. I felt bad going from a ā€œfull sizedā€ bed to a mere 5 1/2 feet but quickly found out that 5 1/2 feet of mulch or topsoil was all I really wanted to unload on any given weekend. As a bonus not nearly as many people thought Iā€™d be happy to haul their crap for them. When the JT came along with the 6 speed I was quick to get back in a manual truck (my wife only drove the Chevy maybe 3 time in 5 years, and never HAD to).

The JT will do everything that the Silverado would for me. I enjoy driving it a LOT more and it is much more maneuverable. i get 21 to 23 all around gas mileage (the Ford got 12). It hauls as much as I need it to and nobody asks me to help them move. As a bonus NOBODY wants to borrow a manual transmission. I just canā€™t say enough good stuff about my Gladiator Sport S.

GraniteBriggs

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Occupation
Detective
I traded in my 2018 Ram 1500 crew cab sport with Rambox for my JT Overland.

I looked at what I was doing with my truck and the heaviest thing I tow is my boat which is about 2800lbs. My ATVs and trailer probably come in around the same weight.

Here's what I miss about my Ram:
1. The power of the Hemi
2. The sound of the Hemi - intake and exhaust
3. Rambox

Here's what I don't miss:
1. horrible fuel mileage

I bought my JT knowing exactly that its not really comparable to anything else. I fully realized I'm not getting a 1/2 ton truck and I am totally fine with that. Taking the top and doors off is priceless as far as I'm concerned.

Sponsored

bluedevil1

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 F250 Diesel
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Cummins new in 2007, so Iā€™ve long paid it off. Only thing it costs me is liability insurance every month and a tag once a year. I think Iā€™m right at 62,000 original miles on it.

2005...Thatā€™s a 6,0 Powerstroke. Has it had ARP headstuds put in? Iā€™d recommend it strongly for preventative future issues. The 6.0 PSDā€™s have well-known head gasket failure issues at about a 75% rate. Just figured Iā€™d give you a heads-up to watch out for, if you havenā€™t already upgraded them. Once those factory head bolts stretch and cause a head gasket failure, it opens up a Pandoraā€™s box of problems. Iā€™d do an EGR delete at the same time, too. Another well-known problematic feature on the 6.0ā€™s.

I had that done about two weeks after purchase by a local diesel guy. Thanks for the heads-up though; much appreciated A.M.M.!

LJ_Viking

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Financial Manager
I traded in my 2018 Ram 1500 crew cab sport with Rambox for my JT Overland.

I looked at what I was doing with my truck and the heaviest thing I tow is my boat which is about 2800lbs. My ATVs and trailer probably come in around the same weight.

Here's what I miss about my Ram:
1. The power of the Hemi
2. The sound of the Hemi - intake and exhaust
3. Rambox

Here's what I don't miss:
1. horrible fuel mileage

I bought my JT knowing exactly that its not really comparable to anything else. I fully realized I'm not getting a 1/2 ton truck and I am totally fine with that. Taking the top and doors off is priceless as far as I'm concerned.
Similar situation except I have an 18 EcoDiesel with ramboxes (love those) and get great fuel mileage. Still want a truck and want a Jeep. Kids donā€™t fit in the LJ with rear facing seats. So Iā€™m considering selling the LJ and RAM for a JT max tow or JTR. Might wait for the JT EcoDiesel.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I bought the gladiator as a wrangler with more space. The ability to tow more than a wrangler was a plus, but I was more excited about the storage. That was my biggest gripe with the wranglers I've had.
Honestly, I think the gladiator will fit most people's towing needs, even those who currently own full size trucks. The majority of full size truck owners don't really tow that much outside of a few trips to Lowe's and maybe an atv or something. The reason I've never purchased a small/midsize truck like the Tacoma is that you can get a full size truck or the same price. Last year I purchased a Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the Hemi, Led lights, etc. for about 4K less than I could get a Tacoma with 10 year old tech in it. I think most are in the full size market for space, not necessarily towing.

I've put about 2500 miles on the gladiator. While technically a midsize truck, I find it has enough room for my family of four. We use it for fun and mostly local stuff. However, it's not my only vehicle. I want something else for longer road trips, the wind noise on the Jeep can get old after several hours. I also have specific towing needs so I need something with more capability.

The price of the gladiator is a little prohibitive for a lot of people to have a second vehicle. Honestly, you can get a pretty loaded 1500 truck from any of the big three for the same price or even cheaper than a gladiator.

If you were a wrangler owner that just needed a little more capability, the Gladiator is perfect. If you use a full size truck to it's max, it's a downgrade as far as utility goes, but you get all the "Jeep" features. For me, my wife needs a truck bed every now and then so the Gladiator gives us a truck bed for her for very limited use. If It was just me, I would probably have a full size truck and a Wrangler. The Gladiator blends the two, but there are compromises.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The Honda Ridgeline sells for people who don't need a truck, but want the capability and carrying capacity and tow a utility trailer or ATV, but want a softer ride.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
I have been looking at campers and the JT for sure restricts me a little bit there. But really it just means I am just going to have to pay more for something more modern and lighter than anything else. If I had a larger truck the craigslist special would probably fit my needs.. JT is my first truck, and at first I was like this thing is a beast being able to tow twice what my toyota sienna can. lol

There are times I wish I had something bigger, but I also look at every other truck and think they look lame with their doors and closed top.

To help with the space I first accepted the bed is worthless for hauling. With the JT only having a 5ft bed my sienna is more capable of hauling. Two things though have made this the perfect car for me.

Diamondback HD cover. I couldn't live without this, the bed suddenly becomes a large waterproof and fully secure trunk, even when I am doorless. Plus the top of this still has the full cargo capacity of the JT meaning I still can strap down the random thing I do haul with this. Best of both worlds since I never need to remove my crap or cover.

2nd item in my 16ft landscaping trailer I bought when I moved to tow with the van and never sold. Thing was $1200 and holds anything I ever need to haul. fully makes up for any deficiencies in the JT bed for sure here, and allows me to truely max out the capbility.

Overall love this thing, but the bed size and lower tow rating are things that have to be compensated for in other ways.
I went the other way. Instead of towing a trailer we tow the Gladiator. No compromise :)

74D3DBC3-9894-4892-9C5C-CBC0785E87F2.jpeg

Sponsored

CCCVagabond

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JTR
I was thinking PowerWagon for quite some time, as I was thinking a full slide in camper for overlanding... I bought the JT however and glad I did... I hit some trails this last weekend in Rio Grande NF... they call them jeep trails for a reason. There were some very narrow trails that the JT was barely squeezing through. I am second guessing even putting anything that goes higher than my roof!

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Even a lot of 3/4 ton pickups are not rated for a slide in camper. Their center of gravity is high and that combined with their weight make a lighter duty rig unstable. Personally, I won't go to anything over cab height on my JT, and would prefer a little trailer, such as a pop up camping trailer. The trailer can be left at the trail head, allowing the JT to be a Jeep.

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
I still have a full size (2018 F150 Supercrew 3.5 Ecobust). The truth is I should really still be driving the F150- it's a lease with about 15k miles left before I give it back next December. But I can hardly force myself to drive it, it's been nothing but problems, and there just isn't the same enjoyment for me driving it. The panoramic sunroof doesn't compare to no roof, and the doors don't come off (although with the issues that truck has had I wouldn't be surprised if they fall off). To be honest the F150 interior feels like a molded plastic box in comparison to my JT. Tight parking spots are no longer an issue, my fuel economy even with a Rubicon and MTs is better, and my 2 kids don't miss the massive cab of the F150-they're too busy bumping the latest Trolls soundtrack through the premium audio. My JT tows better than I thought it would, I cant even pass that duty off to the Ford- because what's better than towing the boat to and from the lake with the top off?

This is my first Jeep, and my first midsize truck. I've always driven 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks- I don't miss a thing.

My question is how do you deal with the thought that years from now when my JT finally gives up they wont be available to buy another?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
This is my first Jeep, and my first midsize truck. I've always driven 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks- I don't miss a thing.

My question is how do you deal with the thought that years from now when my JT finally gives up they wont be available to buy another?
Why don't you think it'll be available in time?