Sponsored

How hard is it to install Rubi springs/shocks?

MainePure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Go on you tube watch a couple vids...then do it yourself. Just make sure any wires or fluid/brake lines don't over extend. Disconnect or unbolt where possible even if you think you don't need to. You will need a tq-wrench for sure...and some help tightening bolts to 190-200 ft lbs. Also need a little help with track bar install and then center the steering wheel at the end. Take your time its worth the coin saved to put toward better hardware and a comparable wheel alignment.
If you do it one corner at a time, all you have to do to lower the axle enough to get the spring out is take out the sway bar link to axle bolt, the shock bolts, and the brake line bracket that is on the lower control arm.
Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I did something wrong when I did mine. No one ever mentions putting the trackbar bolt back in being a pain. I had a time getting mine back in, because when i loosened and took it out, my axle shifted toward the driver side. Instructions i found had all said to take that bolt out to allow the axle to drop enough.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I can see loosening the track bar bolt not sure what benefit it would be to remove it.

Last edited:

Michael@WeGo4WhlLow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Area Director
Alan, I also live in the DFW are... I have done many suspension upgrades to my other jeeps and I also installed Rubicon suspension with Teraflex level kit in less than 2.5 hours with everything torque to spec... No big deal. I would be more than happy to have you come to the House (I have all the tools) and install it for free.... Just PM me and we can set something up... Save the money on labor to buy more parts!!!

Sponsored

STL Gladiator

First Name
Horace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow - traded, 2021 JT Rubicon
If you do it one corner at a time, all you have to do to lower the axle enough to get the spring out is take out the sway bar link to axle bolt, the shock bolts, and the brake line bracket that is on the lower control arm.
I have only had the front end apart 3 times on my previously owned 2020 Sport S. I have not had the 21 Rubi apart yet, as I am waiting on Falken 3.1s.

One corner at a time creates binding challenges but it can be done...its by no means a safer or quicker way. After the jeep is on stands, the safest way that I have found to work is to undo the breather hose and any wires from the pumpkin and the FAD. Remove the brake line brackets, I think this is a 10mm per side.
Then un-bolt sway bar end links at the axle, (both sides) push the sway bar up and then lose up all the control arm bolts enough to prevent binding when lowering.

Un bolt the both lower shocks from the axle and lower the axle either together or one side at time...you can lower at the same time safely (same time) if you have two jacks and going back up or together in the reverse.

I have done it this way with success with me alone 3 times with no issues. The hardest part to me out of all this is torquing the 24/22mm bolts to 190-200 ft lbs with out a lift.

If you any help at all reach out, I am preparing to do a full lift from @Clayton Off Road just waiting on the Falcon 3.1 shocks.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
This thread has been very informative and has me wanting to pull the trigger on a take off suspension and leveling kit when I see a set for sale near me.

I have zero experience working on vehicles prior to owning my Gladiator outside of changing a tire, fluids, and maybe a mirror or bulb here and there. That being said I am good at following/interpreting directions. And thanks to the internet I haven't been stumped yet taking stuff apart. Mostly small stuff, though... fixing a game controller or putting back together a trigger assembly on my 10/22. I am used to having to buy tools for a one-time job, but those aren't going to help out here.

I have been running down the checklist of mods, seeing what I would need to be able to install them myself. Right now I have just installed steps, but I am looking at probably getting a bumper and winch in the next year. Reading a lot of install threads, it looks like I can expect the front end to sag a bit after that. It seems like the leveling kit and/or Rubicon suspension components would lift it back up adequately.

I was able to get the steps I purchased on by myself, but they were heavy. I had to find stuff to brace them with. IOW, I need to get some actual jacks/stands if I am going to attempt any of this going forward. It seems like an impact wrench is a good investment (I have a decent drill and socket set but I'm willing to add to my tool collection). Looks like I need a torque wrench too.

I would definitely read and re-read instructions, including videos. That being said, what else do you think I need to add to the list?

• 2x jack stands
  • floor (?) jack
  • torque wrench (unsure of specs)
  • impact wrench/bits/sockets

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Just thought I would add...I have done many spring removals on previous Jeeps, twice on the Gladiator. Sometimes by myself, sometimes with the help of another. Even if it is something that I could of done by myself, that extra body can sometimes cut the job's time down in half, or more.
Even if it is someone with no clue as to what you are doing, (disclaimer: I love my wife!) that extra body being there to hand you a tool, or hold a wrench, can be a great benefit. If nothing else, just someone being there if God forbid something goes horribly wrong, they will be there to help you, or call for help if needed.
We've all read the horror stories. Be careful and take precautions when wrenching on your Jeep on jack stands.

STL Gladiator

First Name
Horace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thread has been very informative and has me wanting to pull the trigger on a take off suspension and leveling kit when I see a set for sale near me.

I have zero experience working on vehicles prior to owning my Gladiator outside of changing a tire, fluids, and maybe a mirror or bulb here and there. That being said I am good at following/interpreting directions. And thanks to the internet I haven't been stumped yet taking stuff apart. Mostly small stuff, though... fixing a game controller or putting back together a trigger assembly on my 10/22. I am used to having to buy tools for a one-time job, but those aren't going to help out here.

I have been running down the checklist of mods, seeing what I would need to be able to install them myself. Right now I have just installed steps, but I am looking at probably getting a bumper and winch in the next year. Reading a lot of install threads, it looks like I can expect the front end to sag a bit after that. It seems like the leveling kit and/or Rubicon suspension components would lift it back up adequately.

I was able to get the steps I purchased on by myself, but they were heavy. I had to find stuff to brace them with. IOW, I need to get some actual jacks/stands if I am going to attempt any of this going forward. It seems like an impact wrench is a good investment (I have a decent drill and socket set but I'm willing to add to my tool collection). Looks like I need a torque wrench too.

I would definitely read and re-read instructions, including videos. That being said, what else do you think I need to add to the list?

• 2x jack stands
  • floor (?) jack
In all honesty. I had a max tow with 2 inch spacer and Rubicon Fox shocks and I actually towed with it. I also used the bed too. It road really good on the highway.

I now have a Rubicon and I can actually say that then Max tow with spacers had more day to day usability. The Rubicon springs don’t carry a load or tow as good either. The ride is still better than any JK i had or even JL I’ve ridden inn but that’s more about wheel base.

I would personally skip anything the Rubicon has except the Fox shocks. Fox shocks are the same length but they respond quicker and manage heat better. Save the coin and take the usability and payload. The springs are worth the trouble and if you ever decide to go full lift you will have less to throw away.

STL Gladiator

First Name
Horace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just thought I would add...I have done many spring removals on previous Jeeps, twice on the Gladiator. Sometimes by myself, sometimes with the help of another. Even if it is something that I could of done by myself, that extra body can sometimes cut the job's time down in half, or more.
Even if it is someone with no clue as to what you are doing, (disclaimer: I love my wife!) that extra body being there to hand you a tool, or hold a wrench, can be a great benefit. If nothing else, just someone being there if God forbid something goes horribly wrong, they will be there to help you, or call for help if needed.
We've all read the horror stories. Be careful and take precautions when wrenching on your Jeep on jack stands.

This is spot on. I just did a full Clayton lift with extras and another set of hands would have helped me. Even from just going back and forth for socket or something like that save time and effort. My neighbor flaked out on me...he came by with a beer, drank it down and left me hanging with his empty can. Over 3.5 days said he would be back but never saw him again and he never asked me about it...Who does that?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow

• 2x jack stands
  • floor (?) jack
I got by just fine without an impact wrench. But you would need a breaker bar to start some of the tougher nuts. Also, make sure that floor jack goes high enough to really lift the front end up. You need some pretty good height to be able to drop the axle enough to get the springs back in with the spacers.

STL Gladiator

First Name
Horace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very easy. I've had my springs out twice so far. Two jack stands and two floor jacks works great. An extra set of hands is a very big help also.
Installing the Teraflex bump stops was the hardest part tightening the nut and bolt at the lower spring perch. But, the little special wrench they give you comes in very handy. I used it on my next set of bumpstops.
Front bump stops bolts and Torquing the control arms. 190-200ft lbs is tricky to do on the ground.

GWillys

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTW
Occupation
Engineer
Picking up a "take-off" 2in Mopar lift and track bar on Monday from another member. Went by a shop today and was quoted $990 to install. So... I'm going to give this a go in the next couple weeks depending on the weather. This will be my first suspension but after reading this it definitely sounds doable. Any recommendations on a spacer to level it out?

STL Gladiator

First Name
Horace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Picking up a "take-off" 2in Mopar lift and track bar on Monday from another member. Went by a shop today and was quoted $990 to install. So... I'm going to give this a go in the next couple weeks depending on the weather. This will be my first suspension but after reading this it definitely sounds doable. Any recommendations on a spacer to level it out?
The shops will still get some money because you’re going to need a proper alignment for toe and caster. You can get caster pretty close but the machine can tell with precision. You can also center your steering wheel your self as well and dial that in on your own. Good luck and reach out if you run into a jam.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
The shops will still get some money because you’re going to need a proper alignment for toe and caster. You can get caster pretty close but the machine can tell with precision. You can also center your steering wheel your self as well and dial that in on your own. Good luck and reach out if you run into a jam.
I thought the caster and camber are both set and can’t be adjusted on the JT? Only toe in adjustment would be needed as far as an alignment goes.
Sponsored