G_S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
How Hot ?
Is To Hot?
To take the doors or roof off?

At 10am in Louisiana.... it is 90 Degrees out side with 75% humidity !!! ( feels like 104 )
I was thinking about taking the doors & roof and enjoying the freedom on drive to work this morning, and start to the Holiday weekend.
But I almost broke a sweat rolling my trash can back to the garage.....

So how hot, is to hot to you to keep from taking the doors or the roof off??

If I am being a pansy, call me out on it!!
(just keep in mind 75% humidity)

Sponsored

Last edited:

Be.Zick

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Living in Vegas, I don't take my doors or roof off until late fall. 90 to 100+ is to hot for me. Couldn't imagine dealing with Louisiana humidity though!

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Honestly it's personal preference. If I was you I'd take a few days to try a combo of roof/doors off to see. Maybe a sun shade will help if you like the roof off but the sun is too much. I'm in IN and it's in the 90s and humid today (maybe not as much as you), I have my roof off and love it. While I drive 40 and 60+ on the high it doesn't feel too bad but YMMV.

On days that I don't want my roof off all the way (rain usually, hardtop only) I keep my freedom panels with me in the bag in the bed of the truck. If I need them I will pop them back in (2 mins or less). I get the advantage of the sun/air when I want and just put them back in place when/if needed. I know a lot of people like the sunrider because it's much easier and quicker, but I hate the look of it and don't want the extra drag.

Just keep in mind, if you're in stop and go traffic it won't be nearly as nice. You can still turn the AC on if you want but it's going to be direct cold air only and then it's gone lol. The other thing is, if you're going to be out in the sun for a bit without your top you'll want to wear sunscreen, and you may want to think about how that will effect the interior of your truck if you care about that at all. Try different things and have fun!

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
72 is the coolest I care for before it starts to get too chili....certainly 60s. As for the heat...90s up and it sucks. But I often whether it, like today for the mornings and evenings. Its 100 here in South TX.

Sponsored

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
72 is the coolest I care for before it starts to get too chili....certainly 60s. As for the heat...90s up and it sucks. But I often whether it, like today for the mornings and evenings. Its 100 here in South TX.
Here in MN, 40 deg is my lower limit. However, that requires a coat, gloves, and hat. 60 deg is quite pleasant with pants and long sleeves. Cold weather group makes doors/top off more accessible in lower temps.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
.... over 80-85 and I'm done. By that point the UV index is ramping up turning me into fried chicken. The AC button then prevails.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
My drive into work (when I'm in the sun) is only about 15 mins so having the roof off in 90+ so far hasn't been a big deal for me. I actually have quite the farmers tan going on my arms and head lol.
I get off at 11pm so the night drive is nice and cool

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Here in NC it was 90 most of the week but low humidity (Strange for NC this time of year.) It was very comfortable with the top down. But up the humidity and 90 would suck. You are really going to figure it out for yourself. If it is real humid and you start sweating it will evaporate with the wind and maybe not feel that bad but you will be sticky when you get where you are going and that might suck.

This time of year the evening is actually the best time for top down driving. In NC I will not put on the hard top until November. We can still have nice days until then. I actually keep a blanket in my Miata in the fall and will put on the heat and wear gloves with the top down. 45-50 can be pleasant running that way.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
When I lived by Savannah GA no top or doors on LJ from May on till Sept or October unless making a long distance trip and needed to be able to lock up vehicle besides (I have installed Tuffy glove box, console and drawer) I would roll with Safari top to keep from being cooked. Big reason why my soft top is still original. 15 years old and in fair shape, the padding on roll bars is now more brown than black. Drain plugs in glovebox since it first week I had it. But my drive to work was less than 5 miles then. Now I drive over 50 miles to work so doors and top are staying on. I even used AC on way in to work yesterday afternoon. But with the limited ability to lock up anything in vehicle is a big part too. I'd be pissed if my fridge /freezer grew legs.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here in MN, 40 deg is my lower limit. However, that requires a coat, gloves, and hat. 60 deg is quite pleasant with pants and long sleeves. Cold weather group makes doors/top off more accessible in lower temps.
Yeah I just mean the best temps. I can tolerate more extremes with clothes or lack of them, lol

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I have been out in 90+ weather with humidity. It actually feels cool with the breeze, but worry about cooking interior and fading when parked.

Bruce

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Yeah I just mean the best temps. I can tolerate more extremes with clothes or lack of them, lol
Agree the 75-85 range is best without gear. It’s 90 here today which means I’ll collapse from heat exhaustion if I walk more than five paces away from my house, or if I slow down below 45 mph driving a naked Jeep.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Agree the 75-85 range is best without gear. It’s 90 here today which means I’ll collapse from heat exhaustion if I walk more than five paces away from my house, or if I slow down below 45 mph driving a naked Jeep.
Yesterday I weathered 99 degree Texas heat to head to a friends...so the drive home would be nice around 9. It was like driving in a blow dryer, lol

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
We took an hour long drive to a park Thursday and it was 90 out. The JTops sunshade was a god send. I would’ve fried without it. The fact that I could put everything back on without taking off the sunshade, sealed the deal.
Sponsored