Sponsored

How long have you owned your Gladiator? Still Love it?

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
How did you like the Mach-E?
The mach-e was great. What i don't like about electric vehicles is the range. that mach-e rated for 190 mile per charge and that's driving like grandma. I never drove is out of unbridled mode, that shit is fast!! The Ford app interface on that car is amazing too. these EV need to get over 400 miles a charge before i look at them again. They are just commuter cars and not practical as a travel vehicle. You'd have to charge every 100 miles. We didn't even make it from LA to San Diego at midnight at 80 percent. Driving 75 mph
the 4runner is garbage. worst MPG EVER!! it was cush but DAMN my Gladiator is way better MPG than the 4runner. We also have a Hyundai Ioniq and that car is amazing. 550 miles per tank. My wife fills it once a month. or every 6-8 weeks.
Still nothing compares to the Gladiator. I love it, worth the trade off. I get more smiles per gallon than any other car i've owned. I have had 6 Jeeps todate. '86 XL, '89 YJ. 76 Grand Waggy, 2000 TJ, 2000 WJ and the JTR.
I like Jeeps :)
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Ugh, that's terrible range. And then slow charging. This is why there was no chance that I'd buy anything other than a Tesla today. I drive from Phoenix to Los Angeles with a stop or two, and it charges so fast that it's done by the time I've taken a leak and restocked drinks/food for the remainder of the drive. And then...having it drive itself there....!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh, that's terrible range. And then slow charging. This is why there was no chance that I'd buy anything other than a Tesla today. I drive from Phoenix to Los Angeles with a stop or two, and it charges so fast that it's done by the time I've taken a leak and restocked drinks/food for the remainder of the drive. And then...having it drive itself there....!
Did you check your Tesla for that recall? The screen over-heating and going black? ;)

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
No need, it's not a real recall. Just a software update. Done over the air automagically.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No need, it's not a real recall. Just a software update. Done over the air automagically.
They have called it a recall. Technically it's on the NHTSA radar.

DETROIT — Tesla is recalling about 130,000 vehicles across its U.S. model lineup because their touch screens can overheat and go blank. The recalls covers certain Model S sedan and Model X SUVs from 2021 and 2022, as well as Model 3 cars and Model Y SUVs from 2022.

Yes, it is normally fixed with an OTA update.

Because the backup cam is legally mandatory, NHTSA is talking about it.

Jeep Gladiator How long have you owned your Gladiator? Still Love it? 1652458832231

After pressure from regulators, Tesla is recalling nearly 135,000 electric cars, including the 2012-2018 Tesla Model S and 2016-2018 Tesla Model X, for an issue with their main touchscreen displays that could cause loss of the rearview camera display and other functions.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), previously identified an issue with the 17-inch touchscreen in these cars (otherwise known as the media control unit) and issued a formal recall request last month.

Because Tesla decided to put the defroster/defogger button and other climate controls on the screen, rather than using physical buttons, a screen failure falls into the safety domain. Other infotainment functions such as audio, navigation, or phone connectivity aren't considered a critical safety issue meriting a recall.

In a letter sent to the NHTSA last month, in response to the agency's recall request, Tesla VP of legal Al Prescott said that "given a reasonable average daily use of 1.4 cycles, the expected life would be five to six years."

Newer vehicles must also comply with a federal requirement for rearview camera systems that began phasing in May 1, 2016, with 100% compliance required as of May 1, 2018. In its initial recall request, the ODI also pointed out that screen failure could affect the Autopilot driver-assist system, as well as turn signal functionality due to partial loss of audio chimes.

Sponsored

Deemo

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' BMW i3s ,03' Subie Baja,21' Gladiator Eco Dies
Occupation
Optometrist
went from a 15' F150 to a 17' JK to a 19' JK to a 20' F150, decided i needed a truck but i wanted a Jeep more .. Gladiator is the only vehicle i leave with a smile and walk up to smiling 👍 ;)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Remember, recall doesn't necessarily mean "take it back to the dealer".
It means there's a problem, the maker has to address and fix it.
I've had two recalls that were a USB stick in the mail and that was years ago.
You had a choice - do it, or take it in. If you did it, you were to send in the postage paid card to show it was done.
There's a very real chance a Tesla or two won't get the OTA update for some reason - the manufacturer has to ensure all are fixed. So if the update fails, chances are you'll get a card in the mail.
I'd not say the laws are antiquated, just that the means of repairs or resolution have changed. They still must fix all vehicles involved, and if they can't be fixed, take 'em back or in some other way resolve it. And they must keep track of those that have been addressed and those that have not.
There are regular status reports - the manufacturer must report the total numbers to the best of their ability, how many are now off the road through accidents or whatever, leaving the number to be repaired, and then they have to report those that have actually been repaired as well as those not yet repaired.
Those numbers have to be reported to the NHTSA, it's either monthly or quarterly.
Whatever the word is you want to call it, it's technically a recall because they have to touch the vehicle in some way to fix it.

You can call it a mandatory repair order if you wish.... but it falls into recall because it must happen and it must be tracked and reported.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
There's a very real chance a Tesla or two won't get the OTA update for some reason - the manufacturer has to ensure all are fixed. So if the update fails, chances are you'll get a card in the mail.
Very low chance, and we still get the card in the mail because the laws are retarded.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Very low chance, and we still get the card in the mail because the laws are retarded.
Low chance. Say, a fraction of a percent. Out of 130,000 vehicles affected, who wants to be the one left out. Technology isn't perfect - as even Tesla has discovered, otherwise there'd be no issue to fix to begin with.
I'll take the card in the mail any day. I want to know if any of my vehicles are impacted with safety issues, like Mercedes and their failing brakes....... I want to know if I can expect trouble, be notified about it, and see that those totally, thoroughly 100% trustworthy auto makers don't ignore the issue. We know they would never let any safety issue slip or slide through and not quickly, promptly, repair it correctly. They would never in a million try to let something slide, see how long it can go.
Even Tesla had to be ordered to deal with this. I'd not want to be one of 5 out of 130,000 who were never told there was a problem, be where I really needed that screen, and find out the hard way.
The laws protect us - too bad that in some cases the recall criteria isn't a bit more strict but sometimes people have to die. How long would Tesla have let this slide? How active would they have been?
I know you feel the cars and company are infallible, but..... they had to be pressured, a formal order had to be issued. Looks like they were not going to address it, perhaps?

Just this year, 2022, not even half over yet, Tesla has had 10 recalls....... NHTSA was involved with some of them the others were voluntary. Looks like they are just about like any other auto maker in that respect. Sometimes they have to be pressured to fix things.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Low chance. Say, a fraction of a percent. Out of 130,000 vehicles affected, who wants to be the one left out.
So less of a risk than missing a postcard?

I love how every mention of Tesla brings out the rabid cult of hating Tesla.

Lush

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2020 Expedition Max
Vehicle Showcase
Mine can't really count for much, since I am still just less of a week in, but I can already tell that this is already on track to be my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. Came from an '18 Titan Pro4x, which I did really love but hated that there was basically no aftermarket support whatsoever.
Sponsored