Sponsored

How hard have you pushed your stock Gladiator?

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
That’s my concern. We’re not going to be rock crawling, mainly dirt roads with rougher sections and I suppose occasional steep ups and downs. The extra 1” or so lift that tires would get me would be nice
I have a stock JTR and have taken it on several roads and trails in the eastern Sierras, Joshua Tree, and several other places in the Western Sierras and Mendocino. I've scraped the bottom a few times, but that's expected and nothing was damaged. Plan as best you can, and if you get to a spot that you can't pass because of terrain and/or skill turn around. No shame. You might actually discover some other cool road by turning around. Sounds like a fun trip.
Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Also, get a winch... especially if you aren't going out with another rig. You may have barely made it through that last obstacle, and decide to turn around, only to find it more difficult through the reverse direction...

Average-Joe

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport Altitude
Occupation
Manager
OP; I see you are headed to Big Bend. I took my JT there when it still had paper plates. I did an honor badge trail; Black Gap. Fun trail but not hard I also did Old Ore road. Both tails can be done bone stock. Epic scenery. I did scrape my receiver due to the long wheelbase and departure angle but that ain’t a big deal

Largemarge_JT

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Based on you mentioning wildpeaks I’m assuming you have the rubicon trim. I personally do not think you will have any issues on dirt roads with rougher sections. Before I was bit by the mod bug I took my stock gladiator rubicon (other than aftermarket wheels) on quite a few trails in Utah and had no issues as long as I was smart with the lines I chose. Take your time and you’ll have fun!

Jeep Gladiator How hard have you pushed your stock Gladiator? F2CA9EEA-20BC-488F-8AD4-FA76A25FB512
Jeep Gladiator How hard have you pushed your stock Gladiator? 79C1E2CB-174F-4323-AD99-62389DFFF90F

Jeep Gladiator How hard have you pushed your stock Gladiator? E74448C5-401A-4C73-867C-8E86F3522E8D

Breaktrack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
We plan on taking the Gladiator all over the western US in the next 12 months.

Big Bend, several Utah national parks, lots of Arizona parks and forests, California deserts, Nevada deserts. You get the idea.

The wife is of the opinion that we just dropped a load of money on buying it, so no more spending. Which I get. 35s will be bought come time to replace the stock wildpeaks.

Curious to see how many of you have run a stock suspension/wheel set up on big trips and how it’s held up.
Got my Rubicon Gladiator in June of 2019, ordered the first day orders could be taken, and took off the very next day on a five month road trip from Texas to Missouri, to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Canada, Alaska, back through Canada to Washington state, back to Montana to Utah, Nevada, New Mexico back to Texas. The trip included all kinds of roads and trails, even drove the haul road in Alaska up to Deadhorse / Prudhoe Bay, Moab for a week and a half, desert trails in the Las Vegas area, the Northern Cascades in Washington State, and every where in between. The only add to it was a bug deflector when I was in Fairbanks as the bugs through Canada were horrific.

Not my first Jeep, I've had JK's, TJ's and cherokees, this is my eighth Jeep vehicle, it took everything I could give it and could have done more. I put 25,000 plus on it in just that trip, I've now got 65,000 on it and it's still going strong. You shouldn't have any problems from how you describe your usage.

Mac

Sponsored

endurojeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
You will be absolutely fine with a stock rubicon on most trails like everybody mentioned.

How hard have I pushed mine. Black hills 5+ trails but I have 38's fender chop and 3.5" lift. I rubbed just about everything but still have only the stock skids and did not hit engine trans or transfer case. after the first day the spotters said just pick a line you'll go through it. They were pretty impressed on the capabilities of the gladiator

Jeep Gladiator How hard have you pushed your stock Gladiator? 1649395322913

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
OP I didn’t see what version of the Gladiator you have so….

I have a stock Rubicon and have driven all over Tx, CO, UT on various roads and trails. I do not rock crawl but overland to fairly remote areas. In Big Bend I did virtually all the “roads” there and several in Big Bend Ranch State Park which were rougher but without problems

In Colorado I’ve done the alpine loop with snow melt on it, along with several trails in and around Ouray, Silverton.

Then we took the Rim Rocker Trail from Montrose CO to Moab UT. The western section of that trail is pretty rough..

Then in UT we did the White Rim Trail as well as several others….once again all stock.

I do have a fair amount of experience driving off-road but I don’t know if you do. Take it slow when things get dicey and don’t be afraid to turn back if your gut tells you to.
here’s what my truck looked like after the Rim Rocker..
Jeep Gladiator How hard have you pushed your stock Gladiator? 0B88B4F3-CC61-4503-961F-0792C7021755

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Punk'n on order, 1965 Pontiac 2+2
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've taken my stock Rubicon everywhere. I've wheeled at Johnson Valley, Moab including Fin N Things, Idaho, Washington, Sand Hollow and I have snow wheeled in a foot of snow many times. I put a winch on the first day I got it and I have never used it in anger. Everytime I thought I was stuck, I added some lockers and I drove out.

I have made the hitch receiver scream on rocks and scraped the skids but no damage. I will replace my 33" with 35" soon, but I probably still won't get a lift. You'll be fine for what you want to do.

Have fun and gain experience.

JAPE

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020JT
Occupation
Engineer
I was disappointed to learn the top end is regulated to 97mph

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Kschend

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 3.0L eco diesel
Occupation
Shopper
My preference as well. I've misplaced my notes on which one I was leaning toward. Started reading about covers and got the 'paralysis through analysis' thing . . .
I am doing this on front bumper. 😂

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I was disappointed to learn the top end is regulated to 97mph
You probably don't want to go much faster than that if yours came with the MTs
It's because Mojaves and Rubicons can be optioned wih mud tires, which have a low speed rating. Same issue on the 702 HP TRX. Manufacturers don't want their vehicles able to outrun the tires underneath them.

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oldwillysforum.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys EcoDiesel
Occupation
Architect
I drove my stock Willys Ecodiesel, with less than a 1000 miles on it, down the Flint Trail in Utah last fall. Touched bottom once, on the passenger rear spring hanger. Stopped, picked a different line, and cleared. Motored through some pretty gnarly spots, no sweat. I have vintage jeeps for more extreme stuff, but thought this was a pretty good test to see what the stock Gladiator can do without much effort at all. Mostly I use it to trailer my Willys to trails, I don't need it to be lifted or lockered so stock it will be for me.

IMG_9436.jpg

IMG_9437.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

IMG_9447.jpg

IMG_9448.jpg

IMG_9517.jpg

JAPE

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020JT
Occupation
Engineer
You probably don't want to go much faster than that if yours came with the MTs

It's because Mojaves and Rubicons can be optioned wih mud tires, which have a low speed rating. Same issue on the 702 HP TRX. Manufacturers don't want their vehicles able to outrun the tires underneath them.
My JTR has MT's and rides really well at "highway speed" on the interstate (not the river bed). However, its not fun to be passed by a GMC pickup.
Sponsored