Sponsored

How hard have you pushed your stock Gladiator?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My JTR has MT's and rides really well at "highway speed" on the interstate (not the river bed). However, its not fun to be passed by a GMC pickup.
You’d pass the gmc on the trail.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
My JTR has MT's and rides really well at "highway speed" on the interstate (not the river bed). However, its not fun to be passed by a GMC pickup.
The mud tires are Q rated, and only certified up to 99 mph. That's why the Rubicons and Mojaves are limited at 97. The tires have a top speed rating of 99. You don't want to go faster than that, because it'd be dangerous. Too much heat. All tires have a speed rating. The S rated tires on other gladiators have a speed rating of 112, so those gladiators top out at 110.

You don't want to drive faster than your tires' speed rating, or bad things could happen, quickly. Some Rubis and Mojaves come with S rated AT tires, but they took the lowest rating for them.

Even on sports cars, you'll always find that the limiter is set below the max speed of the OE tires, unless the tires are rated beyond the capability of the vehicle.

Last edited:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The tires are Q rated, and only certified up to 99 mph. That's why the Rubicons and Mojaves are limited at 97. The tires have a top speed rating of 99. You don't want to go faster than that, because it'd be dangerous. Too much heat. All tires have a speed rating. The S rated tires have a speed rating of 112, so those gladiators top out at 110. You don't want to drive faster than your tires speed rating, or bad things could happen, quickly. Some Rubis and Mojaves come with S rated tires, but they took the lowest rating for them.

Even on sports cars, you'll always find that the limiter is set below the max speed of the OE tires, unless the tires are rated beyond the capability of the vehicle.
Why would anyone want to drive 97 in a gladiator? It’s just not designed for that purpose, nor would it be fun, even with high speed tires.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
Why would anyone want to drive 97 in a gladiator? It’s just not designed for that purpose, nor would it be fun, even with high speed tires.
With the diesel you can get there surprisingly fast and when it kicks in it almost feels like the brakes got put on. You can cruise up to 97 mph in the diesel without it ever even coming out of 8th gear with just light throttle. Compared to my 3.8 JKU I actually have to worry about speeding.

EddyArnold

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD | 88 300zx | 97 XJ
Occupation
TheCyber
With the diesel you can get there surprisingly fast and when it kicks in it almost feels like the brakes got put on.
^^^This! Freaked me out the first time, didn't realize I was going that fast!

Sponsored

DavidBT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Happily Retired
My first time on some trails with my sport s max tow with stock a/t tires and only used 4×4 once.

20220518_122422_resized.jpg

20220518_122555_resized.jpg

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
We plan on taking the Gladiator all over the western US in the next 12 months.

Big Bend, several Utah national parks, lots of Arizona parks and forests, California deserts, Nevada deserts. You get the idea.

The wife is of the opinion that we just dropped a load of money on buying it, so no more spending. Which I get. 35s will be bought come time to replace the stock wildpeaks.

Curious to see how many of you have run a stock suspension/wheel set up on big trips and how it’s held up.
Just armor it up and your good to go. It's cheap and easy to armor it up. It is one of the first things I did - before my lift kit, before my new tires.... Hard Rock, Rusty's, Metalcloak, rear control arm skids (front and back - rear control arm skid at the frame is critical) rear shock skids, rear diff skid, front control arm skids, front diff skid,

More expensive and optional armor - engine, tranny, transfer case skid.

Click the build link in my signature. With those skids, no problems.

PS. I must have re-painted my rear control arm skid at the frame connection at least 20 times with touch up paint... That sucker takes the most hits by far.

GWyKd3.jpg

h5uFas.jpg

vwVB5w.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
👋

I've hit 92 or 93, iirc, and it was fine. Stock Rubi tires. Loaded up I can make it to 80 w/o problems. No vibrations, shakes, wandering, or really bad air buffeting. Coming back up Hwy 28 (Sacajawea Scenic Byway) in Idaho I had to back it down below 65 because of the wind going through the valley.

DavidBT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Happily Retired
I drove my stock Willys Ecodiesel, with less than a 1000 miles on it, down the Flint Trail in Utah last fall. Touched bottom once, on the passenger rear spring hanger. Stopped, picked a different line, and cleared. Motored through some pretty gnarly spots, no sweat. I have vintage jeeps for more extreme stuff, but thought this was a pretty good test to see what the stock Gladiator can do without much effort at all. Mostly I use it to trailer my Willys to trails, I don't need it to be lifted or lockered so stock it will be for me.

Jeep Gladiator How hard have you pushed your stock Gladiator? vwVB5w

May I ask what size tires come stock on your Willys?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

DavidBT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Happily Retired
Thanks. I'm going to be towing a 26' travel trailer and was thinking about just leveling it and running 32 or 33" tires. I just plan on doing forest roads and moderate trails in Arizona, Utah and maybe New Mexico.