Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

azeeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
I thought the tank on the diesel was smaller? 18 vs the 22 gallons on the gas. So if the diesel averages 24 mpg with an 18 gallon tank, that is a range of 432 miles. The gasser gets 19 mpg with a 22 gallon tank for 418 miles. Not much difference there. A whopping 14 miles.
Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the tank on the diesel was smaller? 18 vs the 22 gallons on the gas. So if the diesel averages 24 mpg with an 18 gallon tank, that is a range of 432 miles. The gasser gets 19 mpg with a 22 gallon tank for 418 miles. Not much difference there. A whopping 14 miles.
But in an overloading situation, if you're concerned with range, you can carry less diesel jerry cans for more or the same range. This also reduces the weight you are carrying for said jerry cans. But agree, it's not life changing and few will every be in that situation.

azeeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
My experience driving a diesel (3/4 ton Duramax) is that you really only get better mileage highway driving and towing. City driving and I would guess slow off-roading the mileage is no better than a gas engine. Too much slow idling causes the engine to go into regen mode much more often, which kills mpg’s.

Most of my driving is short trips around my small town. My Duramax seemed like it was constantly in regen mode. Shortly before trading it in I was getting messages on the dash to not turn off the engine until the regen could complete. I would have to drive around for an extra 20 miles to get this to happen.

I personally would not recommend a modern diesel to someone unless you drive at least 20-30 miles every time you start the engine.
Long trips they perform great. Lots of short trips around town will cause you nothing but problems in the long term, and the mpgs will be no better than gas.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I've never had an issue finding diesel.
I have, but only in very rare and remote situations. And when I say remote, I'm talking about rural New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, and Utah. I sometimes drive through areas that 99.999% of the population will never go.

Either way, as Oilburner said, range matters. I'm installing an in-bed auxiliary fuel tank on my 2020 Ram EcoDiesel. I bet there will be an aftermarket in-bed fuel tank option for the Gladiator, too.

Carrying extra diesel fuel is fairly easy to do and there are lots of ways to do it.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I thought the tank on the diesel was smaller? 18 vs the 22 gallons on the gas.
Has the smaller 18 gallon tank been confirmed for the Gladiator?

Sponsored

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel
So I ordered the a Granite Gray Gladiator (Tripple G) (my first name is Gregory fwiw) :) - Ecodiesel on Saturday. My decision came down to this, I keep vehicles for a long time, I am almost 50 years old and I have only purchased one new vehicle for myself and it is my 2007 Silverado which I am about to sell to replace with Gladiator.

When I bought my Chevy I bought the 6.0L and it has been awesome, but it gets on average 11-12 mpg. I love it's torque but the fuel gauge goes down when the speedometer goes up. When we tow a travel trailer, I literally have seen 2 MPG on the instant fuel economy read out....

This hit is much less on any diesel, diesels in general last longer, MSRP on Triple G was over $62k, but I will get what I want and not look back.. Ton of Torque great Gas Mileage and the top comes off.

HogsWell

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The order guide says it is a 19 gallon tank (NF1). At the top of page 18.
Thanks for the confirmation. The 19 gallon factory tank is a little disappointing, but it also makes a 15+ gallon in-bed tank more appealing. I'll be watching the aftermarket closely.

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
Huge tires is the reason and torque off idle
Yep, my reasoning for ordering the Diesel:
I have wanted one in a jeep for 20+ years!
I have always told anyone who would listen, "as soon as diesel is offered, I'll be getting one". Then the Gladiator came out and I had to wait for that one!
I plan or running 37's and common sense says I'll get MUCH better fuel economy with a Diesel and 37's over the 3.6L. And may not even be concerned with a regear.
I have my 2000 TJ all ready for rock crawling as usual, so this Glad with be a street driven queen.

old motorhead

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2013 Vette, 1969 Camaro SS, 2018 Silverado
Occupation
Retired rice farmer
You'll get some of the extra money you spent for the diesel option back at trade in time. Maybe a large portion of it. Who knows....That's assuming this iteration of the diesel is a good one.

A friend had a Dodge Diesel half ton. Don't remember the year. He loved it. He had to take it in for a "software update". He said it was never the same afterwards. Fuel eco went in the crapper. Power was off too.

Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
You'll get some of the extra money you spent for the diesel option back at trade in time. Maybe a large portion of it. Who knows....That's assuming this iteration of the diesel is a good one.

A friend had a Dodge Diesel half ton. Don't remember the year. He loved it. He had to take it in for a "software update". He said it was never the same afterwards. Fuel eco went in the crapper. Power was off too.
Most likely had to have the AEM flash from the ecoDiesel diesel settlement. That was however a different generation of engine so time will tell on this one. If I remember correctly there was a follow up ECU flash due to performance issues/complaints following the initial AEM update. I highly recommend GDE tunes for anyone that gets an ecoDiesel as soon as their new 'compliant' tune is released. The transmission tune is well worth it too.

bshillam

First Name
Bryrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.portlandres.com
Vehicle(s)
Over 60 prior. Current 2001 Isuzu Trooper, 2016 BMW 4 series convertible, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow Stingray
Occupation
Real Estate Broker and Yacht Broker, 503-781-9967
I had options when I bought my Gladiator. I was looking at the Eco diesel in the Wrangler and also knew we could order the Gladiator w/ the diesel. Took something in stock w/ a larger discount and haven't regretted. Knowing I'll come in w/ a trade in cycle of 2-4 yrs. The 3.6L w/ 8 sp is plenty of motor for the Gladiator.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I highly recommend GDE tunes for anyone that gets an ecoDiesel as soon as their new 'compliant' tune is released. The transmission tune is well worth it too.
I was planning to sell/trade our 2015 EcoDiesel, but now we're thinking about keeping it. It's been such a good truck. My 2020 Longhorn is too nice to use as a work truck. It will be our designated highway warrior and highway tow rig. With that said, I might get the GDE complaint tune for the 2015. Even if we keep the truck for only two years, I think it would be worth getting the tune.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The 3.6L w/ 8 sp is plenty of motor for the Gladiator.
Not when you're towing. The Pentastar is gutless in my opinion, especially in hilly/mountainous terrain. The Pentatstar hangs out in the high RPMs and does a lot of downshifting. The EcoDiesel is so much better for driveability.

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
image.jpg

Just took this after 75mi of city driving since fill up. I am moving from my current 15 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. Great range, MPG is pretty good (my lifetime average is a little over 28 with a good amount of towing). Zero issues and I can’t wait to replace it with another EcoDiesel when my Gladiator order comes in.
what are you towing with the GC? I have an RV trailer that's about 4500-5000lbs loaded and get around 20L/100 (11.8mpg) going about 70mph given there is little to no wind with the 3.6. Would be curious what would be comparable figure.
Sponsored