Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
Not when you're towing. The Pentastar is gutless in my opinion, especially in hilly/mountainous terrain. The Pentatstar hangs out in the high RPMs and does a lot of downshifting. The EcoDiesel is so much better for driveability.
yes and no. I tow an RV trailer through the mountains and while yes, it makes a lot of noise on uphills, it can still maintain highway speeds for the most part. Despite being gutless there, i get about 10-20% better mileage than friends with v8 trucks on the same trip. can i pass someone on an uphill, probably not, but when I'm towing a trailer, generally going the speed limit anyways so not too worried about it.
Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
what are you towing with the GC? I have an RV trailer that's about 4500-5000lbs loaded and get around 20L/100 (11.8mpg) going about 70mph given there is little to no wind with the 3.6. Would be curious what would be comparable figure.
I towed a 6400lb travel trailer a couple weekends ago and was around 18mpg highway. I was somewhat impressed with how it pulled but I do not like the floaty feel of the rear air suspension with the higher tongue weights. Reminds me of my grandmothers caddy back in the day when they pulled an airstream around the country. I pull my 1500lb utility trailer more often and average around 22-24 with it although the rear ramp on it is like a sail brake (been meaning to cut it in half and make it hinged). With the diesel the utility trailer tows like it isn't there. Without a trailer my daily commute is somewhere in the 29-30 mpg range because it is mostly highway.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Diesel is US$0.40/gal CHEAPER here.

I was all set to get the diesel JT when it is available here, but my commute has now changed from 20 miles each way (mostly highway) to just over a mile each way (when I actually do go into the office). The diesel will wait until I retire and can take more long distance trips.

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
I towed a 6400lb travel trailer a couple weekends ago and was around 18mpg highway. I was somewhat impressed with how it pulled but I do not like the floaty feel of the rear air suspension with the higher tongue weights. Reminds me of my grandmothers caddy back in the day when they pulled an airstream around the country. I pull my 1500lb utility trailer more often and average around 22-24 with it although the rear ramp on it is like a sail brake (been meaning to cut it in half and make it hinged). With the diesel the utility trailer tows like it isn't there. Without a trailer my daily commute is somewhere in the 29-30 mpg range because it is mostly highway.
That is a massive improvement in towing mileage. I'm guessing with my lighter trailer I would pick up an extra mpg or 2 as well, especially since I'm towing through the mountains for the most part. I hadn't really considered the diesel before but trailer life is fairly new for us (got it last year). I can see you may never get the price difference back in regular driving but i think towing wise, it's huge.

and regarding the air bags, ya, it feels a bit different for sure. I always chalked that up to the trailer having no dampers and just leaf springs so your car is left to do all the stabilizing. I hadn't really thought of it much until you had mentioned it. First time was a bit of a shock though, I agree.

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
Towing 7000lbs with a 1/4 Ton Truck is for people with little understanding of physics
I sincerely hope I don’t come off sounding like an ass here.
But, have you ever asked a Class A CDL trucker how they tow 60,000 pounds with a 20,000 pound truck?
Using a 4,500 Gladiator to tow 7,000 pounds doesn’t violate any laws of Physics.
Expanding this thought to 2500/3500 series pickups; they are rated to tow 3-4 times their own weight.
My point being, if the Engineers (Physicists) are comfortable putting the GCVWR sticker on the truck, we can be comfortable using it as designed.

Peace.

Last edited:

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
But, have you ever asked a Class A CDL trucker how they tow 60,000 pounds with a 20,000 pound truck?
Using a 4,500 Gladiator to tow 7,000 pounds doesn’t violate any laws of Physics.
Expanding this thought to 2500/3500 series pickups; they are rated to tow 3-4 times their own weight.
The best we can do is try to following the rated towing, payload, and hitch capacities. The SAE J2807 tow rating takes into account braking, engine cooling, vehicle handling, acceleration, highway gradeability, etc. A HD 2500/3500 can tow 3 - 4 times their weight and still be within their rated capacities. A mid-sized truck or 1/2 cannot tow 3 - 4 times their weight and be within their rated capacities.

I understand that being a little over capacity probably isn't going to hurt the vehicle too much, but that's when you begin to lose your safety parameters and overload the vehicle. Mid-sized and 1/2 ton trucks are more designed for fuel economy, comfort, and lifestyle whereas 2500/3500 trucks are designed for work.

Don't get me wrong, I use my 1/2 ton trucks for a lot of towing, but I stay within the rated capacities. I would also use the Gladiator as a utilitarian work truck, but again, I would stay within the rated capacities.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Towing 7000lbs with a 1/4 Ton Truck is for people with little understanding of physics
My Gladiator had 200 lbs. more payload and identical towing rating compared to the 2013 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 that it replaced. And my new Ram 1500 only bests the Gladiator by 120 lbs. in payload. What makes the Gladiator a "1/4 ton" truck?

I sincerely hope I don’t come off sounding like an ass here.
My point being, if the Engineers (Physicists) are comfortable putting the GCVWR sticker on the truck, we can be comfortable using it as designed.

Peace.
Yeah, most Gladiators are closer to 5,000 lbs. Towing 7,000 with them is a cake walk. My new Ram weighs 5,500 lbs. and has a tow rating over 10,000 lbs...a greater difference. There are Ram 3500 trims that weigh 7,600 lbs. and are rated to tow nearly 33,000 lbs. This is all rated using SAE criteria as well.

If anything, the Gladiator has a conservative max tow rating, especially with the wide-track axle trim levels.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Diesel is US$0.40/gal CHEAPER here.
With all the Refiners shuting down Refineries and building Biodiesel plants, I suspect that Diesel will get much cheaper than Gasoline in the future. Just a guess.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
With all the Refiners shuting down Refineries and building Biodiesel plants, I suspect that Diesel will get much cheaper than Gasoline in the future. Just a guess.
Well, that’s good news for diesel owners.

I’m still torn between diesel or gas when I buy; it will replace my current daily driver and my commute is going to get significantly shorter next year (if I need to commute at all), some I’m worried I will not be getting up to temps for regens enough. Pre-move and I’d do the diesel without question; my pre-pandemic commute was 30-40 minutes each way of mostly highway.

But dat torque, tho! It keeps singing its siren song...

Josephus

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTDR for Dad. 03' TJ daughter. 07'JKLR to son.
Occupation
IT dude, electrician, and a few other things ;)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm doing some really rough math here. I'm looking at the wrangler combined MPG as a basis for how the Gladiator might be.

Assumptions:
Combined MPG: 19 on the Pentastar and 24 on the Diesel
Cost to upgrade: $4000 if you are already getting the automatic
Price per gallon: $2.18 regular and $2.42 Diesel

***Point*** Remember the Use-Case-Scenario!
A Jeep is not an economy car.
How many owners here have ever lifted their previous Jeeps and plan to do it again?
What was your cost to re-gear, tune, etc. to restore power? (Me: easily over $4000)
What was your MPG after adding all that weight? (Me: 12/15mpg)
How many of those engine and gearing mods needed repairs Out-Of-Pocket over the course of the lifetime of your Jeep (189,000 original owner miles - the Hard Way). Another $10,000 in repairs for me over the first 12 years.

4 Jeeps and counting for me (my name on the title).

When I order my JTDR I am getting the 2" MOPAR lift installed and covered under 8/125k warranty from day 1.
As soon as I drive it off the lot I am putting 37x13.5" tires on it (along with winch & bumper). I fully expect this to take my MPG down from 27 highway to 24 glorious MPG highway.

I know when I put 35's on my '07 it needed re-gearing along with a bunch of engine mods to restore power to anything close to acceptable on the old 3.8L.

How many miles is it going to take the EcoDiesel to pay for itself?
Answer: About 2 miles.

What's the value of having a full warranty for over 8 years and 125,000 miles on a lifted Jeep?
Is it too much to say: "Priceless" ?

All of those folks who say: "It's not worth $4000" are posers. Who have never had to pay the $17,000 lawyer fee, or the 1/2 of my retirement, that came with the divorce, that was a direct result of spending too much money on that damn jeep.

Trust me folks. Get the diesel and the warranty. You'll never know how much you "Saved".

Sponsored

OP
OP
DLAW

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
***Point*** Remember the Use-Case-Scenario!
A Jeep is not an economy car.
How many owners here have ever lifted their previous Jeeps and plan to do it again?
What was your cost to re-gear, tune, etc. to restore power? (Me: easily over $4000)
What was your MPG after adding all that weight? (Me: 12/15mpg)
How many of those engine and gearing mods needed repairs Out-Of-Pocket over the course of the lifetime of your Jeep (189,000 original owner miles - the Hard Way). Another $10,000 in repairs for me over the first 12 years.

4 Jeeps and counting for me (my name on the title).

When I order my JTDR I am getting the 2" MOPAR lift installed and covered under 8/125k warranty from day 1.
As soon as I drive it off the lot I am putting 37x13.5" tires on it (along with winch & bumper). I fully expect this to take my MPG down from 27 highway to 24 glorious MPG highway.

I know when I put 35's on my '07 it needed re-gearing along with a bunch of engine mods to restore power to anything close to acceptable on the old 3.8L.

How many miles is it going to take the EcoDiesel to pay for itself?
Answer: About 2 miles.

What's the value of having a full warranty for over 8 years and 125,000 miles on a lifted Jeep?
Is it too much to say: "Priceless" ?

All of those folks who say: "It's not worth $4000" are posers. Who have never had to pay the $17,000 lawyer fee, or the 1/2 of my retirement, that came with the divorce, that was a direct result of spending too much money on that damn jeep.

Trust me folks. Get the diesel and the warranty. You'll never know how much you "Saved".
Absolutely.
My math was totally myopic on purpose. I was just focusing on gas mileage for the fun of it. Clearly, the Diesel has it's perks. It's not for everyone. But there are 20 things to consider besides MPG for sure.

Plus, now that all the data is out, my original post is obsolete.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
2 years from now....

Diesel -- $3.00/Gal.

Gas -- $4.50/Gal.

You can count on it. And for you all in Cali......Gas -- $6.50/Gal.

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Hi All,

I got an Overland Diesel with all the options at the beginning of November. Have about 750 miles now and its starting to break-in, fuel economy is edging into the mid 20's. We got this truck to pull a 16' trailer (~4300lbs). Sadly we had to mothball the trailer before the truck came in but doing all the math this should do it ok. Not great mind you, but ok. GVW is 1209lbs so I'm calling that a 1/2 ton and I will have just around 10,000lbs total. Empty this is a true joy to drive. Not racey but the low end torque is outstanding. Just above an idle at 45mph in 8th. The hard seats remind me its a jeep but I'll look for aftermarket gel to fix that. I can, and do, complain that I spent 50k on a vehicle with no locking hood or gas cap(s). Guess I'll need to tinker :)

F3Orangeman

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTOD, ’02 F-150 SCrew
Occupation
Stay-at-Home Financial Analyst (thanks to COVID)
Hi All,

I got an Overland Diesel with all the options at the beginning of November. Have about 750 miles now and its starting to break-in, fuel economy is edging into the mid 20's. We got this truck to pull a 16' trailer (~4300lbs). Sadly we had to mothball the trailer before the truck came in but doing all the math this should do it ok. Not great mind you, but ok. GVW is 1209lbs so I'm calling that a 1/2 ton and I will have just around 10,000lbs total. Empty this is a true joy to drive. Not racey but the low end torque is outstanding. Just above an idle at 45mph in 8th. The hard seats remind me its a jeep but I'll look for aftermarket gel to fix that. I can, and do, complain that I spent 50k on a vehicle with no locking hood or gas cap(s). Guess I'll need to tinker :)
Congrats on the new Overland! I am back and forth between a Mojave and Overland Diesel. Can you take a pic of the payload # on the door jamb, please? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

JTRdiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
Hi All,

Side note and question, what is your payload rating with the overland?
Sponsored