Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I'm unsure of where the "HA HA" plays in on the extra mpg and extra range portions. The diesel does achieve better fuel economy, and it does have extra range. Those are simply facts.

As far as the extra pollution, I think everyone on this forum is guilty to some degree of that. We drive (typically) lifted vehicles with oversized tires, that have the aerodynamic characteristics of a handful of bricks, so that statement comes off as a bit asinine.

I enjoyed having my EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee prior to my gas JT. I do miss the 700+ mile range and the power from the tuned engine/transmission, but I wanted to keep things simpler this time around, as well as row my own gears, so I decided not to wait for the diesel.

The "HA HA" was for anyone trying to use MPGs to justify buying the diesel. And extra range is "nice" but no justification either. Certainly towing won't justify it. Nor will maintenance costs which are higher.

I get that buying vehicles isn't about justifying why we buy them. But spending thousands more to buy a diesel with the very limited lists of benefits is likely more emotional than rational.
Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The "HA HA" was for anyone trying to use MPGs to justify buying the diesel. And extra range is "nice" but no justification either. Certainly towing won't justify it. Nor will maintenance costs which are higher.

I get that buying vehicles isn't about justifying why we buy them. But spending thousands more to buy a diesel with the very limited lists of benefits is likely more emotional than rational.
Gotcha. I'm kind of with you on that for mileage. The amount of miles you need to drive to overtake the cost is just...a lot.

Having said that, I'd say it's highly subjective. You can't really speak for everyone. That extra range may be well worth it to some people. Or the extra torque, despite the lack of extra towing capacity. The diesel would absolutely perform better towing up steep grades at altitude. I will say, I've run low on fuel numerous times on multi-day outings, even with extra fuel, with a gasser. An occurrence that springs to mind was a 5 day isolated beach camping trip, where I had to leave my vehicle running from time to time. I can't say I ever had that problem with my EcoDiesel, even letting it run overnight on trips. If the diesel JT was around when I was shopping, I may have gotten it, but it just wasn't a priority this time around.

Bottom line: I get what you're saying, and I agree to an extent, but everyone has different needs.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
There's no way to financially justify buying a diesel Jeep. The End.

But diesel lovers will justify it other ways - torque, MPGs (HA HA), extra range (HA HA), maintenance (OOPS), fuel and DEF costs (OOPS), and just because, etc.

My Gladiator has enough range that by the time I need gas I'm ready to stretch my legs. And if I want another 75 miles or more I just carry a 5-gallon Sceptre can and I'm good.

This may be the first post to bring up the extra pollution especially the particulates the diesel pumps out. But diesel lovers will pony up the thousands more for it.

If you want a diesel truck there's a RAM 1500 diesel that will tow and get good MPGs for its size and weight. That TRUCK is designed to do truck like things.
Well said. Maintenance is a bear with any modern vehicle, even more so with the ecodiesel. I hear that DEF injector is a 700$ item that can gum up easily if not using fresh quality DEF fluid. There are a host of sensors on that exhaust that cost a pretty penny. Reality is diesels are considered polluters by many a government agency hence all the added emission devices. The future looks grim here in Calif for diesels.

Regardless, glad there is a diesel option for those that want one for whatever reason that is important to the buyer. It's a hard sell for me though. Hard to call it a real towing vehicle, or great for mpg, but for low end torque maybe.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
It's a hard sell for me though. Hard to call it a real towing vehicle, or great for mpg, but for low end torque maybe.
Go drive an Ecodiesel. Once you do, you will understand why so many people love the diesel option. The driveability alone, in my opinion, is much better than its gasoline counterpart.

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Wow.
Folks have really strong opinions on the diesel.
I say to each his/her own.

I love the way it drives - as is stock 18" wheels about 31" tall.
I personally love the sound of a diesel - rattle away baby!

I know if I put big tires on the tall gears its just gonna suck.
If I load it up too much.. same deal.
I do not think the Gladiator will do well as both a truck and a Jeep. Its just barely a truck (I also have a GMC3500) and too long of a jeep.

But like I say - I love driving it

Sponsored

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
I ordered a diesel cause I drove both. Would have paid more than the $4000 upgrade cause I wanted a gladiator and for me the power of the pentastar is unacceptable. I don't care much about the reliability as its under warranty. If its junk I'll get something else before the warranty is up. Reliability of the pentastar has been mediocre at best anyways, so why not get an additional 180+ ft pounds of torque? Range doesn't matter much but it will be nice when out on long hunting trips, fuel mileage doesn't matter much but garbage fuel mileage from a v6 that's pushing almost 6k lbs with all of its 260ft lbs is pitiful.

Practicality, emissions, reliability, fuel mileage etc are all dumb talking points with the gladiator and jeeps in general imo. Its an extremely compromised vehicle that really does nothing particularly well other than have fun. Solid axels, lockers, suspension travel, simplicity(by modern day standards anyways), rugged looks, ability to customize with ease are all reasons most people buy gladiators and wranglers. If I am buying something to be a fun haver, I'm buying the one that has enough power to take my fat arse and all my stuff up a big ole hill and not fall on its face at 7000+ft. Sounds cooler, has more power.. Its more funerer

Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2013 Wrangler
Occupation
Machinist
For a couple of years I worked for a large trucking operation in the service department and I witnessed the changes to the tractor trailers as they converted the fleet to DEF systems mandated by law. The cost in maintenance tripled for each truck.

It is my firm belief there will be no savings having a diesel engine if it is running mandated DEF systems. A leaking egr cooler would dump coolant into the catalizer and particulate filter. This would crack the ceramic cores of the catalizer. In the end, it would entail the replacement of the egr cooler, catalizer, particulate filter, some sensors and clamps. Only $20,000 or so.

While the components are not as large or as expensive as a car or truck they will still be significant compared to a gasoline engine system.

I will not get a new diesel for this reason alone.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I have had several diesels and currently have 2 including a 2014 GC Ecodiesel.

Yes diesels are more expensive but so is the 392 motor...Do you think that will keep people from buying it? Hell no!
Let’s face it if you’re worrying about cost why are you buying a $50K midsize truck when you could get one for much less??
Also, the diesel trucks will be worth more when you sell so that will help a great deal. Even my GC with the first gen Diesel engine is worth about a grand more than the 3.6 gas according to kbb.com.

The only reason I didn’t wait for the diesel was that I want to take this truck into Mexico and the availability of ULSD is questionable and could be a disaster if you put the wrong fuel into it.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
While the components are not as large or as expensive as a car or truck they will still be significant compared to a gasoline engine system.

I will not get a new diesel for this reason alone.
As we look at the 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel, we are now seeing engines with over 300,000 miles and up to 400,000 miles. There are lots of trouble-free EcoDiesels with several hundred thousand miles on them. Those people would argue that the EcoDiesel has been a great cost savings to them. I'm at 92,500 on my 2015 and it hasn't cost me a penny yet. So far, my 2020 has been flawless, too.

I agree that the diesel will most likely cost more to repair down the road than a gasoline engine, but that might not happen for many more years. You can buy a NEW crate engine (which comes with a new turbo, new injectors, new CP4) for $7,500, which is pretty cheap in the scheme of things. In some states, people will nearly spend half that much just in taxes when they buy a new Gladiator!

Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Machinist
This is a valid point, some of the tractor trailers in our fleet had literally no issues other than oil changes and wipers.

I, however, just do not have that luck. If there were 10 diesel gladiators on a dealer lot and only 1 would have troubles, that is the one I would end up with. Thus my choice. I do not regret my choice or disparage anyone else's. I simply explained why I choose as I do.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I, however, just do not have that luck. If there were 10 diesel gladiators on a dealer lot and only 1 would have troubles, that is the one I would end up with.
One benefit of the diesel is that you get the 100,000 mile warranty. The 2014 - 2019 engine had some problems, but fortunately, many of those issues were rectified with recalls. What doesn't get picked up in a recall, gets covered in the warranty. If the engine is solid for 100,000 miles, then it's likely that you'll have a long-lasting engine.

Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Machinist
Ah, but you see, I purchased my Gladiator from Charlie's Jeep in Augusta Maine and the little gas engine that could has a 3 year 30 something thousand mile from Jeep. Charlie's on the other hand extended that to 10 years 150,000 miles on the powertrain. I have a Jeep dealer 5 minutes from my house but I drive 40 minutes for all sales and work, I like Charlie's. With the extended service contract I added and the dealer extended warranty, I am sitting pretty right now and am HOPEFUL I can dodge the bad luck curse this time.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Jeep. Charlie's on the other hand extended that to 10 years 150,000 miles on the powertrain.
Did good ole' Charlie give that warranty to you for free or did you have to pay for it?

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
You can improve your weight distribution by moving as much of the weight as you can in the trailer so it only impacts JT payload by about 10%.
I would also get the Timber Grove Air Bags.
Sponsored