Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Does that mean in 4H you can go faster than the 45mph? I have had my my Gladiator for over a year and have gone to 4H 3 times and all of the times I was under 40mph, because I really didn't need to be in 4H.
Last winter's blizzard, I was on I80/I35 doing 55 just fine. I've had 4x4s going 60 without issue. But if it's bad enough to BE in 4x4 mode - how fast do you REALLY want to go?
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Also helps a lot to put your transmission in neutral (manual transmission people do this already by pushing in on the clutch) when braking in slick snowy or icy conditions, especially in 2wd.
No. Let your auto trans and ABS do it’s thing. On a manual, the fully engaged driveline actually prevents lockup.

Jlmckinney

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Lineman
My opinion, based upon experience, is that most folks assume a lot about 4WD and all are not equal. If you have open diffs-good luck and call a wrecker. Once one wheel starts to slip, the other is dead weight. SOP on the Mojave front axle. A recovery sand anchor from SARCA in Oz looks to be your friend. Trac loc in the rear? Better than an open type but not my personal optimum. Electric locker ala Rubicon? Power to both when engaged, open when not and call a wrecker. This why I am not 100% sold on the JT. I want a factory installed helical gear limited slip Eaton posi trac diffy front and rear. Cannot be done with the stock housings. I had a trac loc in the YJ and was not impressed with performance. The Cherokee gets by on road OK, still not optimum. Off road traction or the lack of covers up a lot of the failings of some designs.
I agree, my favorite setup has been truetrac front and rear for everyday 4 season running , hopefully they will be Available for the jt soon

Capt.Grumps1075

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Towboat Captain
Another reason I stayed in the south after the Army but I slipped up and moved to N. AL. where they get some snow and ice sometimes... The first time I seen it after moving here I thought WTF did I do this for. :giggle: I should have moved to TX or AZ.
I'm a towboat captain and my run takes me up to Decatur Alabama. We dread the winters on the lakes up there. Beautiful but TOO DAMN COLD FOR A TEXAN LOL..

ad78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
we just got a snow storm yesterday, on 2H the gladiator will dance on a slushy corner with ice. with 4H its stable. so at this point road is dirty and from there some coating of ice ill stay with 4H and I feel much safer but still drive carefully.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a towboat captain and my run takes me up to Decatur Alabama. We dread the winters on the lakes up there. Beautiful but TOO DAMN COLD FOR A TEXAN LOL..
Well I've probably drove over the bridge as you was going under it at Decatur and if it was a few summer's back you might have passed me on the pontoon boat. :like: dang I need to get it out more. I looked at it many times this year and thought about that. Too late for this year I think... In the 20s this morning

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That ain't no easy job. I've watched programs about the men of steel and guts that run those things.

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
Ill put my jeep in 4h if theres heavy rain, or just slick roads. Any amount of snow on the road is a good time for 4h. Ive had No issues with anything and 140k on the odometer (jku) if you can feel the feedback in the wheel on a turn, revert to 2 wheel drive.

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
Note i Do change my gear oil

Cobraj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
computer field service
Just had my gladiator sport s out in 14 inches of snow it handled very well. having a lot of fun driving around my town till a cop pulled beside and told me to go home!

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I drove about 7 years in Northern Minnesnowta with 2wd trucks. Sand bags in the back, and don't go cheap on getting new tires. If you can, get another set of rims and run winter tires. Tires make such a huge difference and will give you confidence in driving in the snow. Even though you have 4wd, I would still suggest a couple sand bags in the back for the winter - never know when you'll be driving and it starts snowing.
Sponsored