Sponsored

How reliable has your gladiator been?

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
What was the problem with the radio?
The radio would short out at random moments blasting anyone inside and losing all settings. By the third radio and an update the shorting out is gone but it now locks up, for a good while every few months. You can power it on and off but the screen remains black and unusable. Time oddly resets when it feels like it too. The base radio is just a disaster, can't wait to find a waterproof replacement. The stinger radio looks promising but atm not water resistant
Sponsored

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
2020 Sport S 39,000 only problem was passenger sun visor broke. Replaced under warranty I'm happy.

Jabtano

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Butcher
What all went wrong with your Rubicon?

I picked up Mojave in mid January and put about 1600 miles on it before something with the throttle body broke and the truck lost power on me while I was on the highway going almost 80. Brought it into the dealer and they quickly diagnosed the problem (they had another gladiator in with the same issue a few days prior). The even more unfortunate thing is that the throttle body is on backorder so my Mojave sits at the dealership until April. I love the truck but really awful experience with a brand new vehicle.

For what it's worth, the throttle body issue seems to be very rare. I can only find like 2 or 3 people on this message board reporting a similar problem and then another Gladiator at my local dealer.
gas gage 1 issue. gas tank leak 1 issue.heater 4 times, dashboard lights 6 times, Maine computer element twice and that was the last straw

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
21 Mojave, 10 month’s, 34k miles and creaky suspension is my only issue to date.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Creeping up on 6k. Love my JT looking forward to years of adventure. The auto AC is a joke as mentioned by others. Auto stop start has been problematic since day one. Didn’t realize until just recently it was not working properly. Transmission has a shudder issue around 25 and 40 and also has slipped/delayed on gear changes. In shop now hoping its just low fluid or bad software.

Sponsored

tolboothw6

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
construction
I’m now on second main battery and third secondary battery. My dash is now a Christmas tree. 2020 gladiator sport. Air bag light, auxiliary battery light, stability control light. 35s and lifted. Taken it to dealership and they have no f clue. Warranty is done. Anyone have ideas.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I’m now on second main battery and third secondary battery. My dash is now a Christmas tree. 2020 gladiator sport. Air bag light, auxiliary battery light, stability control light. 35s and lifted. Taken it to dealership and they have no f clue. Warranty is done. Anyone have ideas.
Do the by-pass on the axilla battery and replace main with a new.
Great threads on this and its eazy. Get ride of the damn small battery.

tolboothw6

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
construction
both batteries are two months old. I’m going to a car electrician for Jeeps tomorrow morning. I have replaced so much that the dealership said “it could be”. They just take ur money. They don’t know what the deal is. So frustrating

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
both batteries are two months old. I’m going to a car electrician for Jeeps tomorrow morning. I have replaced so much that the dealership said “it could be”. They just take ur money. They don’t know what the deal is. So frustrating
I sure understand your frustration......... I'm an auto electrician myself and when I decided to have "the dealer" check my 2020 for battery issues, I laughed out loud and almost got into it when the service writer said "your winch is likely what's draining the batteries so the tech moved the connection to take care of that".
For one thing - I had a massive RED FREAKING BIG HONKIN CUT OFF SWITCH on the power cable. There wasn't even as much as a single electron changing spots in that winch. No way unless they can jump gaps of 1" at only 12-13 volts.
And the kicker? I had the ground cable where it belonged, on the top of the IBS on the main battery negative post. He moved the ground cable to the fender ground post and guess what that's connected DIRECTLY to? The top of the IBS on the main battery negative post! I wanted to scream. All he did was move the winch ground cable from one end of a cable to the other end of a cable, electrically, it was identically connected. Electrically, he made NO change at all!

I made it my mission to learn as much as I could about these systems - and once I got GOOD information from FCA STAR educational materials, and battery makers, I made things better by using a good, high quality AGM battery charger, charging both the crank/main battery and the smaller "aux" battery independently, and resetting the IBS. As long as it didn't sit for over 3 days, it was a whole lot better.
But - more than one battery supplier said the AGM battery life can be as short as 3 years............ wonderful.

All that being said - you've got mods - and a lift could well have messed up the wiring or sensors at the wheels, and be a cause of the stability control light.
You have made changes, so you may have 2 or more CAUSES of all that you see.
Fix ONE at a time. Don't look at it like one thing is causing all (although it's possible) - deal with one thing at a time.
When there are 2 or more things going on but people try to fix it like it's all one root cause, it will never be fixed.
Logic and troubleshooting are required here, not a "toss mud at it and see what sticks" and not "what IS the problem" but "what could the possible problemS be".

I would ask - who did the lift? Was care taken with the wiring from the chassis down to the wheel sensors? Any chance anything was pulled or pinched?
What ELSE was done on this truck?

It's easy to troubleshoot "natural problems" - things that go wrong on factory made stuff no one has touched, it can be your worst nightmare trying to fix something SOME HUMAN caused in their working on it.

I always start with asking "what changed" and if someone else has worked on it, I cringe..........

DavidBT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Happily Retired
Just over 5,000 miles on my 22 Sport S Max Tow and it's pulled our 5,500 travel trailer to Komiefornia and back plus a trip to Prescott. No problems so far, knock on wood.

Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Probably answered this earlier but, ain't going back through two years (???) of threads to look.

Mine was built in 6/19 and I took delivery in mid 7/19.

I have not had a SINGLE problem, mechanically or electrically with mine since I got it. I do have only 21,7xx miles on her but, still...zero issues.

The only issue I had was the rear window leaking into the roof and that (the whole roof) was replaced under warranty.

My gut feeling is that those made in mid-late 2020 up to date have had major quality control issues including ancillary parts (auto start/stop batteries and etc.). All because of COVID decimating the manufacturers quality departments AND Jeep's own quality department.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mikeđź–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Had one with 43k miles, and this current one has 30k miles. Both diesels, no issues with either :)

Deleted member 28696

I replaced the stock batteries twice before I decided to swap it out & went to the Genesis dual full sized battery system which seems to have solved the battery issue. It's a fairly straight forward install that does take a day to do. I went with the Group 25 Full Throttle AGM batteries & ordered them through Genesis at the same time I purchase the system.

It isolates the crank battery from the accessory battery, when the crank battery gets too low it will automatically switch over to the aux battery leaving you with enough power to start the engine. It also acts as a battery jumper, and it can combine both batteries temporarily to jump the other. It also eliminates that small battery under the fuse box and relocates it with a full sized group 25 battery which is accessible. It doesn't in any way change the way the start stop system works or any of the features. Your basically just changing out the batteries and then the system adds the Isolator.

Last edited by a moderator:

TimC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator , 2021 Wrangler
Occupation
Telecom
2021 , 7k miles
Intermittent 3rd brake light. Dealer blamed aftermarket taillights cuz they’re too lazy to troubleshoot. I only have 2 eyes so 2 brake lights will suffice..

J-GriffsGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Geologist
25K miles on my 2020 Max Tow with 0 issues [knock on wood]. I will go for my 6th Jeep in 11 short years (when my 5 yo turns 16 he'll receive Geralt as his first car]. Sorry about your bad luck but I will admit 2 of my previous Jeeps were nightmares. All electrical nightmares on loaded out Jeep models. Never an engine, transmission or suspension problem. Dare I say I learned my lesson. Will never buy the tricked out versions again.
Sponsored