First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Agreed - when we ran wreckers in the 70s, the boss would literally bring his trucks back, unwind the cable and then roll it up nice and neat and orderly, even layers. A bad thing for a cable is the stress of being pulled over uneven layers. They get bent, kinked, and lose integrity.
Roll them up nice and evenly - like some factory machine did it. The cable will stay straight, no bends or kinks and will last longer if it's not rubbing and getting tangled. I know - rope isn't cable, but still, I'm OCD so if I end up with a winch, it will always look like it's never been unwound even after I pull a tree stump out with it. I can't STAND messy ropes or cables! When I roll up our garden hoses (all 250 feet of them) I roll them up in even layers, making sure the hose is snug on the reel, layer after layer. Looks like a factory job when I'm done - and I'm still using hoses 20+ years old.
I keep thinking when did we become our dads :)
Sponsored

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
I don’t disagree, but there’s plenty of reasons to have a JL/T other than taking the top off. If that’s all you want, but a convertible car.
This is stupid logic. I don’t take mine off-road much. It just stays in the garage naked and taken out on nice days. Use it for errands. Or going to the hardware store. Or hauling motorcycles to the track. But most of the time it’s just simply enjoyed naked. Try to think harder next time if it doesn’t hurt too much.

Last edited:

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I keep thinking when did we become our dads :)
Oh, boy - every day I say or do something that makes me think - "Now, Bill, who does that remind you of". There are times I sound just like him. LOL - I guess since he's gone someone has to carry on, eh?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
If it ain't broke, you aren't trying......
If it ain’t broke, throw me the keys and I will show you how to do it right.

I believe “Send it!” is the expression we are looking for here.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I raced motocross for about 10 years, and we always used to say, "If you ain't wrecking, you ain't riding hard enough." :like:

Also, "Go big, or go home..." No sense in half-assing things, same with breaking shit.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer whisky to whiskey... LOL!
I dunno why this reminds me of one of our show/race events a few years back. A friend of mine who works for Mercedes in Germantown joined a bunch of us standing around talking - carrying a brown bag.
In that bag was a mason jar - yeah, canning jar. It had a clear liquid in it. I thought - uh-oh, is that what I think it is? He had done a favor for some couple who had troubles with their Mercedes and they thanked him with a quart of home brew. Jim brought it to share.
All these drag racing tough talkers - what's going to happen now?
Jim took off the lid, passed the jar around and one by one the guys sniffed it - and passed it on.
One finally did take a sip and said it was like cough syrup and cleaned out his sinuses. Wow, was that stuff potent. Funny thing - I really expected eveyone in that group to take a swig and finish off the jar. Nope, Jim put the lid back on with almost nothing out of the jar. It was too much for 'em. (I had just enough to know the taste - and that it burned going down - the smell alone did clear my sinuses)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I dunno why this reminds me of one of our show/race events a few years back. A friend of mine who works for Mercedes in Germantown joined a bunch of us standing around talking - carrying a brown bag.
In that bag was a mason jar - yeah, canning jar. It had a clear liquid in it. I thought - uh-oh, is that what I think it is? He had done a favor for some couple who had troubles with their Mercedes and they thanked him with a quart of home brew. Jim brought it to share.
All these drag racing tough talkers - what's going to happen now?
Jim took off the lid, passed the jar around and one by one the guys sniffed it - and passed it on.
One finally did take a sip and said it was like cough syrup and cleaned out his sinuses. Wow, was that stuff potent. Funny thing - I really expected eveyone in that group to take a swig and finish off the jar. Nope, Jim put the lid back on with almost nothing out of the jar. It was too much for 'em. (I had just enough to know the taste - and that it burned going down - the smell alone did clear my sinuses)
If it smells that bad, and tastes that bad, it ain't good shine... Burn is one thing, bad flavor is another. Both are indicators... One of high alcohol content, the other of bad mash and a shitty recipe, or someone didn't run-off the head & tail and let it all mix together and ruined the whole batch.

My family from north Alabama MIGHT have dabbled a little bit in the clear whiskey trade starting back in the 1800's when they first arrived on this continent, and set roots in Cullman.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If it smells that bad, and tastes that bad, it ain't good shine... Burn is one thing, bad flavor is another. Both are indicators... One of high alcohol content, the other of bad mash and a shitty recipe, or someone didn't run-off the head & tail and let it all mix together and ruined the whole batch.

My family from north Alabama MIGHT have dabbled a little bit in the clear whiskey trade starting back in the 1800's when they first arrived on this continent, and set roots in Cullman.
It was just that strong..... wasn't bad, just intense as heck, burned. The alcohol must have been extreme. Most of us used to beer - maybe some MD 20-20, or some good mild whisky, but that was so potent even the tough guys passed.
I wish I had been able to take some in a jar and keep around when I needed my sinuses cleared. It was not "bad" smelling, just WOW, that's STRONG stuff!

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Good corn mash can pack a unique flavor when it is straight off the still. The liquor equivalent of axe body spray, for those who like it it's the ambrosia of the gods, for the rest of us... I'll drink it but that doesn't mean I like it.

Now back to mall crawlers. I personally think that stinger bars scream never actually been wheeled. Wrapped in rope? Never will be wheeled!

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Another way to spot a mall crawler
Perfectly rolled winch line :)
Well...I don’t know about that. I haven’t installed a winch on my Gladiator yet but both of my JKUR’s have winchEs, are crawlers, and have perfectly rolled up winch lines. If you see someone with a messy winch line that’s because they don’t understand how load is distributed over the spool and coils or how they risk damaging a pinched cable/rope when under load.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well...I don’t know about that. I haven’t installed a winch on my Gladiator yet but both of my JKUR’s have winchEs, are crawlers, and have perfectly rolled up winch lines. If you see someone with a messy winch line that’s because they don’t understand how load is distributed over the spool and coils or how they risk damaging a pinched cable/rope when under load.
Exactly why I roll them neatly. My boss back in the late 70s, with his wreckers, basically said pretty much what you said.