I’m an idiot

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Well I knew it was eventually going to happen. I’ve been pretty diligent about it, but today was just such a beautiful day and I was jamming to AC/DC and I got distracted. Then I drove into the garage with the soft top folded back and smashed it into the garage door. The good news is that it appeared to be ok. However, I couldn’t close the soft top in the garage so I just removed it, which I’ve wanted to do but just never got around to it. So once it was off I backed out of the garage, took some pictures of it since it was finally all the way off, and then went for a drive🤣. As for the top, it appeared to be ok during removal. We’ve got perfect weather for two weeks, so f&@! it, I’ll deal with it later 🤣
Jeep Gladiator I’m an idiot 8C0E326A-AE14-4F25-8FF2-61F5C47EEEB2

Jeep Gladiator I’m an idiot FAD6B920-FFC2-4623-A522-CE8F0521E2B0

Jeep Gladiator I’m an idiot 57D73C1F-362D-45D2-A807-CB6F6B0057DC
Sponsored

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
Jamming to AC/DC at the appropriate decibel level can cause all kinds of problems 😉😂👍

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
Florida= Rain..........lol

Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
I once watched it happen with a relatively new $6000 MTB bike. Ive seen it in videos but there's nothing like watching it in person.......The bike was actually fine. It caved in the roof crossbars, dented the roof of car and took a chunk out of the cinderblock house....says something about cannondale and ritchie handle bars i guess.

OP
OP
FloridaJT6MT

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I told you all I’d give you an update when I put the top back on. Starting to get summer afternoon showers here so I decided to finally put the doors and roof back on. Mind you I’d never fully removed the roof before, so this was my first time putting it back on as well. Everything went smoothly, and the roof closed fine. When looking closely however, I saw the front lip that meets the seal on top of the windshield was sitting a little higher on the driver side:
Jeep Gladiator I’m an idiot 3314AA18-FB36-440D-B5B1-D0F0BD9006DC

First thought was oh crap, I did bend it! I opened the roof back up and inspected the front edge more closely and I couldn’t see a bend. So, I then decided to recheck the bolts that keep the soft top attached. While doing so I discovered that the top was sitting slightly forward on the driver’s side. I loosened the bolts, readjusted the top and then tightened it back down. Voila! The lip sat firmly across the front seal:
Jeep Gladiator I’m an idiot 05EB26A7-EAB6-4B07-94E4-272144FB6A30

I guess I lucked out. We’ll see how it holds up in the rain and driving down the highway.

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
Well, I told you all I’d give you an update when I put the top back on. Starting to get summer afternoon showers here so I decided to finally put the doors and roof back on. Mind you I’d never fully removed the roof before, so this was my first time putting it back on as well. Everything went smoothly, and the roof closed fine. When looking closely however, I saw the front lip that meets the seal on top of the windshield was sitting a little higher on the driver side:

First thought was oh crap, I did bend it! I opened the roof back up and inspected the front edge more closely and I couldn’t see a bend. So, I then decided to recheck the bolts that keep the soft top attached. While doing so I discovered that the top was sitting slightly forward on the driver’s side. I loosened the bolts, readjusted the top and then tightened it back down. Voila! The lip sat firmly across the front seal:

I guess I lucked out. We’ll see how it holds up in the rain and driving down the highway.
You did get lucky. I ended up ripping the passenger side latch completely off. Ordered a new one, installed it, and realizing the drivers side latch was bent. The frame wasn’t bent so all is well now.

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT
Boy am I glad I have too many wood working tools and holiday decorations to park in the garage. I would have to have a sign on the garage door that says "Check the top stupid", cause I would definitely do that.

Sponsored

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT
It pays to be a hoarder!
Problem is, I have too much stuff all combined. I had to make sure tools are on wheels. I have to move all the bikes out of the garage to make room to do any woodworking. LOL

Guess I just need a 3 car garage... or bigger lot for a shop... I like that idea more

OP
OP
FloridaJT6MT

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boy am I glad I have too many wood working tools and holiday decorations to park in the garage. I would have to have a sign on the garage door that says "Check the top stupid", cause I would definitely do that.
I may paint this on my garage door 🤣🤣 Although it was nice to keep the top and doors off for a month and a half and not worry about it!

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
My house has a two car garage. I grew up here and then in 2020, inherited the house when my Father passed away and will live here prolly until it's my turn to push up the daisies.

Since the house was built in 1969, there has NEVER been a car in the garage :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
My minimum requirement is for both our cars to fit in the garage. It’s a cycle. When it’s clean we have plenty of elbow room. Then crap slowly fills in a round our cars, until we are driving into junk made garages, inside our garage. Then I clean it to start the cycle over. It’s getting close to needing another cleaning….

0F202846-E854-4D8B-9BB0-146A3F7B87DD.jpeg
Sponsored