Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Can't figure out why you would never use it?
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Are you accounting for the weight of your current bumper in comparison? A plastic Rubicon bumper with tow hooks is about 60 lbs, so you're not adding a ton of weight. Spend $150-200 to lose the steel cable and a few pounds, probably not too noticeable. My 12K XRC Gen 3 with a synthetic cable is only 71 lbs.

Very interesting how the latest wave of responses differed so much from the first few. I have already committed to the fella that I would buy it and have given him down payment. Supposed to go over to his house this weekend to install it. Everything with it looks absolutely brand new so no problem there and he demo'd the winch. But, the dissenters do make some points.
a) the weight addition would only be about 160 lbs as the bumper weighs 75 lbs and the winch is about 85. so not too bad there.
b) have no plans for heavy off-roading, but who knows what next year will bring?
c) I do kinda like the idea of selling the winch and just installing the bumper. I do like the way the bumper looks.

Golly gee........ decisions, decisions.
Thanks for your comments.

OP
OP
Choatecav

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Are you accounting for the weight of your current bumper in comparison? A plastic Rubicon bumper with tow hooks is about 60 lbs, so you're not adding a ton of weight. Spend $150-200 to lose the steel cable and a few pounds, probably not too noticeable. My 12K XRC Gen 3 with a synthetic cable is only 71 lbs.
Great point as the reduction of the standard bumper will remove some weight.

Ok folks, you have exceeded my expectations with valuable input and I thank you for that. I am going to go ahead with the install of the whole thing and then may replace with synthetic if weight is an issue as I can think of uses to this winch.

I do want to address the comments as to "why I wouldn't want it" or that I have a great vehicle for off road but don't want to take it. All are valid, all are true to a point.

Maybe it is a generational thing, but my parents grew up during the great depression. As a child we didn't have a lot and it was ingrained into my head to take care of what I had and not be too rough on it. Maybe you can relate, maybe you cannot. But all that said, I have always wanted a Jeep and now that I can see retirement in the near future and I will no longer spend so much windshield time in business travel, I thought now is my time to get one and not worry about gas mileage and practicality. So, I bought the Mojave. I will never be a hardcore rock crawler but I may get off the road now and again.

If this does not resonate with some of you, I am sorry, but I won't lose sleep over it, :)
I am appreciative of you comments.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting how the latest wave of responses differed so much from the first few. I have already committed to the fella that I would buy it and have given him down payment. Supposed to go over to his house this weekend to install it. Everything with it looks absolutely brand new so no problem there and he demo'd the winch. But, the dissenters do make some points.
a) the weight addition would only be about 160 lbs as the bumper weighs 75 lbs and the winch is about 85. so not too bad there.
b) have no plans for heavy off-roading, but who knows what next year will bring?
c) I do kinda like the idea of selling the winch and just installing the bumper. I do like the way the bumper looks.

Golly gee........ decisions, decisions.
Thanks for your comments.
You shouldn't have to much problems selling the winch if you decide to.
I can understand your last post quite well, some of my family "didn't know" the depression ended. I'm fairly protective of my stuff that is my D.D. vehicle.
But at times I have to remember that I've never seen a Brinks truck following the hurse to the cemetery.šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Is it a good deal? Yes, for the bumper and winch and ALL the winch components it is a good deal.

Do you need it? It's better to have and not need than to need and not have. You just never know what you will decide to do in the future.

Weight. Yes, it will add weight, you can reduce some of that by switching out the steel cable for synthetic rope.

Will you have to lift? Not necessarily, you may need spacers to get your rake back.

Is it worth it to you? Only you can answer that. As has been said, if you don't want the winch, you can sell it.

OP
OP
Choatecav

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Ok, folks, here is "the rest of the story...."

Bought the bumper/winch and just installed it.

I am pleased with how it looks, but I may change out the large fog lights with smaller ones.
When I factor in the weight of the new kit and back out the OEM bumper, I figure I have added about 135 lbs net to the Jeep. So far, I cannot tell any negatives to the way it drives.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice on the project.

New Bumper a.jpg

New Bumper b.jpg

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, folks, here is "the rest of the story...."

Bought the bumper/winch and just installed it.

I am pleased with how it looks, but I may change out the large fog lights with smaller ones.
When I factor in the weight of the new kit and back out the OEM bumper, I figure I have added about 135 lbs net to the Jeep. So far, I cannot tell any negatives to the way it drives.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice on the project.

Jeep Gladiator I'm at a crossroads on a mod New Bumper b

Jeep Gladiator I'm at a crossroads on a mod New Bumper b
ive been molliing over installing a rubi steel front bumper, but im concerned it will sink the front of the JT. did you notice any sag or lost height in the front?

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
If youā€™re not gonna need it or use it why put it on unless you just want it for aesthetic purposes? Just added weight you donā€™t need, not to mention the restricted air flow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Choatecav

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
ive been molliing over installing a rubi steel front bumper, but im concerned it will sink the front of the JT. did you notice any sag or lost height in the front?
Wow, I was surprised to see this older thread revived.
To answer your question, I have not felt or seen any weight impact whatsoever. Furthermore, I have actually used it. Very glad I have it now.
I added a Throttle controller which made the responsiveness much quicker and it actually moves "lighter" than before. Very pleased.
Also, I removed the very large fog lights that were on the original bumper and replaced them with smaller LED's. Pleased with those as well.
Here is a more recent photo of the whole pie.
Jeep Gladiator I'm at a crossroads on a mod Second Washing a (2)

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
To answer your question, I have not felt or seen any weight impact whatsoever. Furthermore, I have actually used it. Very glad I have it now.
I added a Throttle controller which made the responsiveness much quicker and it actually moves "lighter" than before. Very pleased.
Also, I removed the very large fog lights that were on the original bumper and replaced them with smaller LED's. Pleased with those as well.
Jeep Gladiator I'm at a crossroads on a mod Second Washing a (2)
Iā€™m in the reverse quandary as you. Iā€™m actually trying to talk myself out of buying one.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Second Washing a (2).jpg
Thanks!

Yea i try not to resurrect old threads but its better to do that then start a new one and sift through the multitude of ā€œwell did you SeArCh!?ā€ comments before I actually got an answer.

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Ray Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V
Iā€™m in the reverse quandary as you. Iā€™m actually trying to talk myself out of buying one.
Buy once cry once.
Sponsored