Iron Rock Long Arm Kit?

DesertShot

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon JT (White)
Anyone have experience with Iron Rock offroad? How well do their kits with their custom flex joint and clevis bushing on either end of the arms ride? Durability issues? Easy to rebuild? Ride good?

I am really eying this kit to do a frankenlift with, and it looks good. They even have a video on their manufacturing processes. I would probably throw a couple small welds on the frame side brackets for peace of mind.

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/jljt-rock-link-long-arm-upgrade.html

I've only seen a few long arm kits come to market so far that I know of:
Evo
Rock krawler
Wfo
Terflex may have one for the jl that fits I think.

This one looks very well built and also comes in at a great price. So....thoughts?
Sponsored

Mojavematt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave gladiator
To each his own but me personally, I’d be very weary about cutting off stock control arm mounts to add something you may have problems with.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I’d rather have straight arms and Johnny Joints.

But at least it’s not wristed radius arms.

Do you think you need longer arms?

OP
OP
DesertShot

DesertShot

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d rather have straight arms and Johnny Joints.

But at least it’s not wristed radius arms.

Do you think you need longer arms?
Why straight arms with JJ's? Just gathering perspectives.

OP
OP
DesertShot

DesertShot

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To each his own but me personally, I’d be very weary about cutting off stock control arm mounts to add something you may have problems with.
It's a requirement to go with long arms. I have no problem cutting them off and fabbing new ones in, so long as I know it will perform well and I am not locked in with subpar design.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Why straight arms with JJ's? Just gathering perspectives.
Straight arms so you can use Johnny Joints on both ends. A bent arm can’t use JJs on both ends cause they flop over on themselves. One end has to be rubber.

Johnny Joints because they work awesome. They last forever and require very little maintenance. They allow for more misalignment than you need. It’s the best arm end for a link suspension in my opinion.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Straight arms so you can use Johnny Joints on both ends. A bent arm can’t use JJs on both ends cause they flop over on themselves. One end has to be rubber.

Johnny Joints because they work awesome. They last forever and require very little maintenance. They allow for more misalignment than you need. It’s the best arm end for a link suspension in my opinion.
I have been playing with cars for decades and my dad and I raced both motorcycles and cars. In that time I've used Heim joints and bushings. I've never heard of Johnny Joints. (I'm totally new to the Jeep thing. My gladiator is on order)

Wow. You learn something every day. It looks like an awesome hybrid. A little bit of compliance, but also more accurate geometry control than a full bushing joint.

Very cool. Thanks!!

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Teraflex showed their jt long arm kit with the ir bushing for sema. Looked like it was basically bolt on with no cutting and supposedly has a ton of travel and flex. Not sure when it's officially coming but if they're already showing it, it has to be soon.

The IR bushings are the hybrid like metalcloak duroflex where they have a ton of misalignment, no binding because they rotate freely, are rubber/poly for better nvh absorption, and no maintenance as well as easy and cheap to replace if needed.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I have been playing with cars for decades and my dad and I raced both motorcycles and cars. In that time I've used Heim joints and bushings. I've never heard of Johnny Joints. (I'm totally new to the Jeep thing. My gladiator is on order)

Wow. You learn something every day. It looks like an awesome hybrid. A little bit of compliance, but also more accurate geometry control than a full bushing joint.

Very cool. Thanks!!
Johnny Joints we’re developed by John Currie, of Currie Enterprises. They were designed specifically for Jeep control arms, and offer increased articulation vs. rubber bushings. That said, I prefer some of the newer maintenance free joints on the market like the Jiiro joint.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Teraflex showed their jt long arm kit with the ir bushing for sema. Looked like it was basically bolt on with no cutting and supposedly has a ton of travel and flex. Not sure when it's officially coming but if they're already showing it, it has to be soon.

The IR bushings are the hybrid like metalcloak duroflex where they have a ton of misalignment, no binding because they rotate freely, are rubber/poly for better nvh absorption, and no maintenance as well as easy and cheap to replace if needed.
Bolt on, long arm kits never seem to work well. Sounds like typical Teraflex stuff.

NVH is not an issue with Johnny Joints.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I have the IRO 2in spacer kit and can %100 say ive been blown away by the quality of their steel spacers and shock extensions. Zero issues with the kit after 35,000-40,000 miles. Other spacer kits on past jeeps sagged or wore down, or other steel spacers made just tons of clinks and clanks. Not the IRO kit.

thats as far as my experience with them goes.

but if their simple, inexpensive, spacer kit is high quality and well thought through. As well as made with quality materials. Id imagine their other products would be the same.

that said. I do agree with @Mojavematt in that I personally wouldn’t want to take off the oem mounts and risk irreparably altering the Jt like that.

but I don’t do hard core off roading so this kind of mod is foreign to me, and frankly intimidating.

OP
OP
DesertShot

DesertShot

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Nice, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things

In emailing with techs at teraflex they don't seem to know when its coming other than it is coming :CWL: Does look tempting and the teraflex marketing talk certainly hits the right notes I mean of course I want my JT to handle like a trophy truck lol.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Bringing this back to the top…. Still haven’t read anything from anyone using this setup.
Has me leaning in favor of WFO’s long arm front…..

Cutting and chopping keeps is intimidating to a lot of folks. I guess I have enough experience ripping different factory mounts off the JK that it no longer bothers me. Jeep makes jeeps for the masses, lots of quality fab shops out there making the one off’s for the few that push limits.
Sponsored