Sponsored

Is it me, or does the JT really struggle...

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Love to know how this was achieved. On a fill up I get 352 Miles worth of driving, and I at least average 18.5 MPGs. Almost 20 on the trip to Elizabeth City. I never got gas mileage that bad on my 2010 JKU on 37's with 3:73 gears.
You also need to keep in mind that where you are talking about is extremely flat, basically at sea level and typically doesn't have very much traffic.
Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
If anyone wants to compare mpgs, there is a thread for that.

I AM curious how your mpgs drop going uphill on pavement. Off pavement, the engine is amazing
I get an average of 12mpg with the 3.6 motor on the highway. Around town it is more like 9 to 10 and about the same off road except in low range where it is closer to 6mpg. 35" mud terrains and 4.56 gears in a Rubicon. Before the gear change and tire change I was getting 18 mpg on the highway. And yes, I had the ECM programmed for the gears and tires. Going uphill your motor works harder to overcome gravity and you wil drop down to 2nd or 3rd gear at 50 to 55 mph. That will really affect your MPG. Compared to the 3.8, the 3.6 is an amazing motor for the most part but nothing that another 100 lb/ft of torque wouldn't do wonders for. Supercharger ?

Someone mentioned the Pedal Commander and how amazing it is. So the perceived performance, especially on the 3.8 (I have one on my 07 Sahara) is great. But it is perceived only. There is no gain in HP or Torque, only a quicker pedal response and yes it will drop your MPG by about 1 MPG. Same with the 3.6 (have one on my 16 Rubicon), just perceived performance due to quicker pedal response. No increase in actual HP or Torque and because of how you want to give it more gas, it also will drop your MPG.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
You also need to keep in mind that where you are talking about is extremely flat, basically at sea level and typically doesn't have very much traffic.
True, but I also took a trip up into the Virginia Mountains to pick up my Rock Rails a few weeks back and stilled averaged 19.1 MPGs. Did a little better on the trip to Elizabeth City but like you said it was pretty flat

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I get an average of 12mpg with the 3.6 motor on the highway. Around town it is more like 9 to 10 and about the same off road except in low range where it is closer to 6mpg. 35" mud terrains and 4.56 gears in a Rubicon. Before the gear change and tire change I was getting 18 mpg on the highway. And yes, I had the ECM programmed for the gears and tires. Going uphill your motor works harder to overcome gravity and you wil drop down to 2nd or 3rd gear at 50 to 55 mph. That will really affect your MPG. Compared to the 3.8, the 3.6 is an amazing motor for the most part but nothing that another 100 lb/ft of torque wouldn't do wonders for. Supercharger ?

Someone mentioned the Pedal Commander and how amazing it is. So the perceived performance, especially on the 3.8 (I have one on my 07 Sahara) is great. But it is perceived only. There is no gain in HP or Torque, only a quicker pedal response and yes it will drop your MPG by about 1 MPG. Same with the 3.6 (have one on my 16 Rubicon), just perceived performance due to quicker pedal response. No increase in actual HP or Torque and because of how you want to give it more gas, it also will drop your MPG.
Why regear, mine does fine on 35's with 4:10 gears. I swear there had to be something tuned different on the Max tow when compared to the Rubicon. Just my evaluation on it. Pretty much everyone with Max Tow gets around a average of 18+ MPGs on 35's, that includes people I have talked to around my area with Max Tow and Rubicons, I get the same story about the Rubicon only getting about 14-15 MPGs. I haven't spoke to anyone with the Max Tow around my area getting less that 17.5 MPGs on 35's. There has to be something up with it, not sure what.

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Why regear, mine does fine on 35's with 4:10 gears. I swear there had to be something tuned different on the Max tow when compared to the Rubicon. Just my evaluation on it. Pretty much everyone with Max Tow gets around a average of 18+ MPGs on 35's, that includes people I have talked to around my area with Max Tow and Rubicons, I get the same story about the Rubicon only getting about 14-15 MPGs. I haven't spoke to anyone with the Max Tow around my area getting less that 17.5 MPGs on 35's. There has to be something up with it, not sure what.
34’ s and max tow = 15 mpg’s here

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
34’ s and max tow = 15 mpg’s here
Then not sure, maybe there's some serious hills where you live or steep inclines. There has to be a reason why some are seeing better gas mileage than others. I mean mine hasn't been below 17.8 since I bought it and it has around 3100 miles on it now. I'm about 70 city 30 hwy but when I have been on a few long trips managed over 20. It seems crazy that it would be all over the place this bad.

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then not sure, maybe there's some serious hills where you live or steep inclines. There has to be a reason why some are seeing better gas mileage than others. I mean mine hasn't been below 17.8 since I bought it and it has around 3100 miles on it now. I'm about 70 city 30 hwy but when I have been on a few long trips managed over 20. It seems crazy that it would be all over the place this bad.
Fairly flat here. Not sure why the difference as I drive conservatively. Oh well.

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Speedos been set for the new wheels?
Getting it flashed Friday although the speedometer is only off 2 mph at 65 per a gps app. I am not disappointed in the mileage or power of the truck, though. 15 is pretty darn close to the estimate on the sticker so I am happy. And the power is there when I kick it down.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Getting it flashed Friday although the speedometer is only off 2 mph at 65 per a gps app. I am not disappointed in the mileage or power of the truck, though. 15 is pretty darn close to the estimate on the sticker so I am happy. And the power is there when I kick it down.
Your going to see about a 2mpg increase then I would bet. Mine before I recalibrated was 3 off and I went from between 16.2-16.7 to 18.5- 19

Sponsored

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
No issues, throw it in manual shift and downshift if it feels sluggish. Drove from Albuquerque to Denver and back the other week and accelerated up hills no problem including Raton pass going both ways.

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
Well, here’s my hill power story. About 20 years ago I owned a 1986 Cherokee Pioneer with the 2.5L 4cyl iron block engine and a very anemic auto trans. Cruising the highway at 60 (close to max speed) if I saw any grade above about 5% I would have to make a run at it by putting the pedal to the floor. There were a couple hills I traveled quite frequently where by the time I was at the top I was doing about 30. That Jeep could pull a house off a foundation and then drive through it without a lot of trouble, but achieving and maintaining highway speed was not its forte. I find the gladiator more than capable and the 8spd trans is excellent compared to others I’ve driven and actually towing my boat it doesn’t feel underpowered at all. I do not have max tow, just the 6000lb package

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
So, I just got the 5.13 gearing in and what a difference on 37's. I do have a 3500-4000 lb Travel traveler to pull, but even when I'm not pulling it, it is way better for slow wheeling. This is all I use it for, and its not a DD in any way shape or form. I travel highway speeds of 65 mph, trailer or not. I thought I might be going a little low for the gearing but I'm glad I did, considering what I use it for. I get 18-19 mpg no trailer and 10-13 with the trailer. I can pull the trailer with the 2500 diesel, but the dodge will not go where the JT will, and the RAM is still fairly prissy compared to the nimble robustness of the JT when it comes to off roading. WOW! there goes that squirrel again.

Last edited:

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Its like a 20 year old full size. Look what a dodge ram 1500 with a 318 or 360 put to the ground in 2000. About on par with the gladiator.
Sponsored