Sponsored

Is it me, or does the JT really struggle...

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Oh, I see the problem. You have your DIC set to display fuel economy. Try changing it to show pitch and roll instead. :like:
offroading it's on pitch and roll. smiles per gallon and all that jazz. my OP was noting a sluggishness on hills on the highway
Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
A heavy truck, 260 ft-lbs torque, and an 8 speed tranny will indeed result in downshifting and revs on hills. Now try it with 7000 lbs behind it. ;)

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
...going up hills. I swear, I could be driving it empty and it still drops the mpgs and sounds like it struggles even up small grades. Today I drove it up a park road (pavement) ranging from 9-11 degrees and it dropped all the way down to 2nd gear.

On highways, any hill requires pretty good gas pedal depression to maintain speed. I can IMMEDIATELY feel when there is even a slight slope because the Jeep will slow down in 2 seconds.

ETA: paved road hills. Off road it is great!
Its a 1000Xs better than any previous Jeep model.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A heavy truck, 260 ft-lbs torque, and an 8 speed tranny will indeed result in downshifting and revs on hills. Now try it with 7000 lbs behind it. ;)
That is what I am wondering about and excited to try that

TPiz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2019 JL Rubicon
It does feel more sluggish in comparison to the JL that I have. The weight is a factor for sure. I also think personally (not sure if it's true or not) it's tuned a little differently than the JL. That being said, I fixed my issue with the supercharger...

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does feel more sluggish in comparison to the JL that I have. The weight is a factor for sure. I also think personally (not sure if it's true or not) it's tuned a little differently than the JL. That being said, I fixed my issue with the supercharger...
If a supercharger didn't cost me a legal fight about voiding my Insurance Policy I would look at it

TPiz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2019 JL Rubicon

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
For me the hardest part is getting used to where the JT 3.6 makes its power. I have an '08 JKU, 3.8L, 6spd, 37s on 4.88 gears and I'd swear that even with almost 200K on its clock it has way more snot than my 3.6L. But as I drive my Gladiator more I find it is more getting used to its need for higher RPMs. My 3.8L rarely revs 3500-4000. The 3.6L is in its glory in that range and higher.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have heard some of the aftermarket plug ins (Pulsar, Pedal Commander) will do wonders. I had it on my 08 JK and it did do a world of difference. Just haven't tried it on the JL or JT.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/pulsar/inline-performance-programmer-jeep-wrangler-jl-3.6l-42451
Thanks! I'll look into that. The hangup for me is my insurance company (Geico) verbally told me that per their internal documents/guidelines anything that increases horsepower voids coverage. When emailed for clarification, something in writing, and where in my Policy it was located (because I couldn't find it), they went radio silent. And while I am bound only to what is in my Policy contract language, if they deny a claim because of a supercharger or anything that increases HP, I'd probably have to sue them to get coverage, and that's a hassle.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But as I drive my Gladiator more I find it is more getting used to its need for higher RPMs. My 3.8L rarely revs 3500-4000. The 3.6L is in its glory in that range and higher.
What do you need to do to get it there? Seems like I barely get above 2k driving. Maybe hit that if I accelerate uphill

Sponsored

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
What do you need to do to get it there? Seems like I barely get above 2k driving. Maybe hit that if I accelerate uphill
I have the 8spd auto and it seems just stepping on the pedal has it downshifting and reving up

Scenario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’m barely getting 11 MPG around town. I put the meter front and center and am very conscious of my pedal discipline. I expected at least 15 MPG and a larger gas tank. A range of less than 300 miles per fill-up is irresponsible today.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 8spd auto and it seems just stepping on the pedal has it downshifting and reving up
I the 8 speed auto Max tow and I haven't had it above 3000 RPMs ever that I can think of, that's includes a trip through the Virginia Mountains. Do not know how unless you stomp on it you can get it even close to 4,000 and I'm on 35's
Sponsored