Sponsored

Is it me, or does the JT really struggle...

cleanerguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi
...going up hills. I swear, I could be driving it empty and it still drops the mpgs and sounds like it struggles even up small grades. Today I drove it up a park road (pavement) ranging from 9-11 degrees and it dropped all the way down to 2nd gear.

On highways, any hill requires pretty good gas pedal depression to maintain speed. I can IMMEDIATELY feel when there is even a slight slope because the Jeep will slow down in 2 seconds.
I have noticed that mine tends to hold a lower gear longer going up hill. My girlfriend commented that it sounded like it was going to explode. I need to apply a little more or less gas to make it up or down shift. My JL never did this. I just figured it was grade logic control. I always hated that nonsense ever since it was first introduced. Also, I just turned in a 3 year old Tacoma TRD pro. That truck was the biggest dog ever. It's no wonder they last forever. They are so detuned the engine barely does any work. all things considered the JT does a fine job with hauling itself around town. The Jl is faster but also lighter. You quickly get used to how it performs and adjust your driving style accordingly. I don't even notice it now. It's just pure fun. Heck, I don't even swerve for a pothole anymore. It just cruises right over them.
Sponsored

Deleted member 28614

You never owned a Jeep before? These things are race cars compared to the stuff from the 80’s and 90’s.
Amen brother, when I was driving my CJ5, I would have to drop into 1st just to clear a 7 percent grade. Finally gave up the ghost 2 years ago, I really miss that puppy.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
...going up hills. I swear, I could be driving it empty and it still drops the mpgs and sounds like it struggles even up small grades. Today I drove it up a park road (pavement) ranging from 9-11 degrees and it dropped all the way down to 2nd gear.

On highways, any hill requires pretty good gas pedal depression to maintain speed. I can IMMEDIATELY feel when there is even a slight slope because the Jeep will slow down in 2 seconds.
Have you driven many cars and trucks before your Gladiator?

You need to get out more :facepalm:

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
4:10 gears with the Max tow package on mine 8 speed auto and on 35's with 2.5" of lift I get around 18.5 MPGs average. Never struggles on hills. More than sufficient when compared to my 2010 JKU on 35's with 3:73 gears. It was a slug, would run up to 3500-4000 RPMs on slight inclines and averaged around 14.5-15 MPGs. I'm all smiles with mine. If you haven't ever owned a jeep, get use to it. They aren't race cars. Their built to take you where you need to go and my Max tow offers 7560 in towing capacity. I think it's funny when people buy them and then complain about the gas mileage and the non luxary features they have. :LOL:

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
I have the Max Tow
Well, don't know what to say then, it's been as expected for me. I came from a slightly heavier midsize SUV and the JT performs about what I was used to. Maybe I'm just used to driving slow(er) on even grades and hills?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Not trucks
You're comparing a Jeep Gladiator pickup truck to a "4cyl Honda Element"

In all honesty that's a very strange comparison

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
You're comparing a Jeep Gladiator pickup truck to a "4cyl Honda Element"

In all honesty that's a very strange comparison
only comparison I can have. Only drove a Jeep Patriot for a week. Dont know which engine it had, was a rental.

so the answer to my OP is: it is just me

kdfhuey

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I can tell you that since my first Jeep (1989 Wrangler Laredo) to now , these things are far and away better in terms of acceleration than they used to be. Also, having just come out of a V6 Tacoma I can tell you for a fact the acceleration is superior to that truck. Could it still use more power? Yes, still I have very few complaints about the JT.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I have a DD, and its not my off road JT, but the JT pulls my 4k lbs travel trailer thru the Rocky mtns just fine, dirt or pavement. 34" tires, no power train mods. I never bothered to monitor the gears as long as I was moving forward and close to a reasonable speed.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It comes down to the power band, gearing and weight. Highway cruising and passing, my Jetta will smoke my Gladiator any day of the week. I still have way more fun in my Gladiator though.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
It comes down to the power band, gearing and weight. Highway cruising and passing, my Jetta will smoke my Gladiator any day of the week. I still have way more fun in my Gladiator though.
Yeah I get better acceleration out of this than my JT, that's why I have it. One for speed fun and the other for topless, doorless, off road driving cruising speed fun.
MVIMG_20191218_072928.jpg
Sponsored