Sponsored

Is it weird or a compliment if someone made the exact same Gladiator as me?

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
There’s someone in Raleigh that completely copied me. It’s really weird. I’ve passed him a few times he won’t wave. A Sting Gray Overland like mine with the exactly the same options (fully loaded minus body colored hard top), same tires, tint, Rubicon shocks, Mopar black tubular side steps, blacked out emblems, Mopar bed cover, and 20% window tint. I knew it was pretty damn similar, but I saw it parked at the grocery store (Harris Teeter off Creedmore) and it’s exactly the same. Even my fiancée said, and I quote, “What in the actual fuck?”. I don’t know if I should be creeped out or take it as a compliment. The exact same brand and size tire was really weird too. It’s nit lien they are BFG A/Ts or something. The same 275/70/18 Dueler A/T Revos on stock overland wheels.

Edit: it’s not that common of a build either, I had to search for mine. It was a dealer locate. I only know of one similar one on dealer lots, but it was a soft top and I know who bought it. We work for the same company I see it every day.
Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Maybe he ordered his first
Exactly what I was thinking. He wonders about that weird guy who has exactly copied his rig and has even posted a comment about it on a Gladiator group somewhere on the internet.

Just kidding of course. I took my friend of many decades on his first ever Jeep adventure many years ago. In Moab. And he fell in love with the experience. A life-long Chevy man, he kept saying, "Gosh, Mark, my truck could never do stuff like this!" He liked it so much that the next year he ordered a 2012 Wrangler (mine is a 2007--so that's a different engine and interior, in case you're not familiar, and the paint chip on the brochure for Black Forest Green back then made it look exactly like my Jeep Green, which it isn't really at all like). He started off building it exactly like mine. Shrockworks bumpers, rock rails, etc, etc. But eventually the builds did diverge, mostly because new products became available that he preferred. Still, when seen side-by-side, we're pretty close looking. I take it as his confidence in my choices for mods. And we still consult frequently on that. Just yesterday, spent an hour going over possible rock rails for his Gladiator build--which is Punk'N vice the Gobi of mine. ;-)

At Toroweap/Tuweep, Grand Canyon National Park in 2012 ...
Jeep Gladiator Is it weird or a compliment if someone made the exact same Gladiator as me? AZ-CA Trip, Jul 12, 8861, Toroweap, Poseur Shot (8x10 crop)

Washington Backcountry Discovery Route in 2015 ...
Jeep Gladiator Is it weird or a compliment if someone made the exact same Gladiator as me? WABDR. Jul 15, Ray's Work, 7_1811, Driving Alon

Lost somewhere in the Alaskan Arctic in 2016 ...
Jeep Gladiator Is it weird or a compliment if someone made the exact same Gladiator as me? Alaska Trip, May-Jul 16, 5_9134, Jeeps on Dalton Highway

Abajo Mountains in 2016 ...
Jeep Gladiator Is it weird or a compliment if someone made the exact same Gladiator as me? Beehive B-Sides, Sep-Oct 16, MMM_30175, Mark and Ray in Abajo Mtns

Ekker Campsite, Canyonlands National Park Maze District in 2017 ...
Jeep Gladiator Is it weird or a compliment if someone made the exact same Gladiator as me? Maze District Expedition, Nov 17, 5_1501, Ekker Campsite

Devil's Playground along the TransAmerica Trail in 2018 ...
Jeep Gladiator Is it weird or a compliment if someone made the exact same Gladiator as me? TransAmerica Trail, Aug-Sep 18, 5_6162, Mark and Ray at Devil's Playground Campsite (HDTV Crop)

Sponsored

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Did y’all miss the point about all the things I added that are exactly the same? It’s not the way the Jeep was ordered, it’s all the changes I’ve done that have been copied on the exact same build Jeep.

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
Did y’all miss the point about all the things I added that are exactly the same? It’s not the way the Jeep was ordered, it’s all the changes I’ve done that have been copied on the exact same build Jeep.
Yeah, I would say it is odd, but given all of the options you can get for Jeeps, maybe they really like what you have done and decided to go with that vs ordering things and not liking them. Especially since most things aren’t easy to buy, try, and decide if you like them.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
What do they say about imitation and flattery.

If he wanted to copy you he would have got the same top.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
So someone else has popular aftermarket options as you and you think.....what exactly? that this guy is a stalker or somehow trying to imitate you? Are you mad that your jeep is not unique?

Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It is interesting for sure, but I would just chalk it up to coincidence since the Raleigh area is chock full of people and a lot of Jeeps.

BTW - for the record, I didn't copy your avatar picture. Any similarity is unintentional. :)

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
But the reality is it's you. What you are seeing is a small tear in the multiverse and this is a different you. But still you end up with the same rig.

Meanwhile he's commenting on www.gladiatorjeepforum.com about how:

"there’s someone in Raleigh that completely ripped me off. It’s really strange. I’ve passed him a few times and all he does is stare. A Sting Gray Overland just like I ordered with what look like the same options, body colored flares with the base hardtop, same tires, tint, Rubicon shocks, Mopar black tubular side steps, blacked out emblems, Mopar bed cover, and 20% window tint. I thought it was just similar but then I found it in a parking lot (over by Creedmore the Harris Teeter) and it looks exactly the same. My wife was shocked the first time she saw it, thought I was just talking crazy. Should I be bothered by this? Should I be flattered? It's not like it's a fluke, he even bought the same wheels and tires as me. Dueler A/T Revos in 275/70/18 on stock overland wheels aren't like BFG A/T's on Fuel wheels, everyone has those."

One can only hope that the rift will heal before the obligate carnivore cows and cats that bark make their way through.

Tall Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Super Trucker...
Ok, so......

Who here hasn't looked at a mod on another Jeep and thought "damn that looks good I may change things up and go that route" ??

OP, I'd take it as a compliment unless he starts stalking you....

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Nothing creepy going on here, just your friendly neighborhood stalker! :LOL: