Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Turn up volume
Yes, but two door wrangler sports are more capable off road than many gladiators due to being so much shorter, and with much better departure angles. Not a fair comparison I donā€™t think.

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I plan on overlanding on my freedom gladiator in a few years. 33's, no lift (maybe 1 inch), towing an escapade or something like that so I can add a rooftop at some point. I wish I had limited slip, but I think with the right tires I'll get through whatever I plan on going through.

I'll def add a winch, soft top bed cap, and a compressor. Boom boom, good to go.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Yes, but two door wrangler sports are more capable off road than many gladiators due to being so much shorter, and with much better departure angles. Not a fair comparison I donā€™t think.
Those stock non rubi 2 doors on stock rubber are nowhere near as capable as a stock JTR. It's an unfair comparison, but in the other direction - coming from someone that has had both. A JTR rubi needs nothing to rock crawl - it can complete the rubicon trail stock. It's honestly overkill for overlanding, even with a few trail only excursions.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Those stock non rubi 2 doors on stock rubber are nowhere near as capable as a stock JTR. It's an unfair comparison, but in the other direction - coming from someone that has had both. A JTR rubi needs nothing to rock crawl - it can complete the rubicon trail stock. It's honestly overkill for overlanding, even with a few trail only excursions.
I havenā€™t done the rubicon yet, but itā€™s on the super short list. From what Iā€™ve read though, it ā€œcanā€ complete the trail stock, but with no lift and 33ā€™s, body damage is likely. Everyone is different, and I donā€™t mind scraping the skid plates at all, but my version of successful completion may be different. I think youā€™re successful if you do it without body damage, and for the rubicon I think that means a mild lift and 35ā€™s at a minimum.

Iā€™ve done a reasonable amount of legit rock crawling in Colorado and Moab in our mostly stock JTR, and all has been successful. But the rubicon, holy cross, and similar will wait until after the lift. :)

Edit a few months later. Iā€™m doing the rubicon in august, but mine is now lifted On 37ā€™s, with 5.13ā€™s and 12 various aftermarket skids, and RCVā€™s in the front.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I havenā€™t done the rubicon yet, but itā€™s on the super short list. From what Iā€™ve read though, it ā€œcanā€ complete the trail stock, but with no lift and 33ā€™s, body damage is likely. Everyone is different, and I donā€™t mind scraping the skid plates at all, but my version of successful completion may be different. I think youā€™re successful if you do it without body damage, and for the rubicon I think that means a mild lift and 35ā€™s at a minimum.

Iā€™ve done a reasonable amount of legit rock crawling in Colorado and Moab in our mostly stock JTR, and all has been successful. But the rubicon, holy cross, and similar will wait until after the lift. :)
I believe only damage the jtrs that did it had (even with some inexperienced journalists, but good spotters) was a few crushed tailpipes. You will, obviously, scrape the skids but that's what they're for. The rubicon is no overlanding trip tbh - that's hard core rock crawling - so I really think people lift these jeeps "just because" instead of due to actually needing it. It's almost like a comfort blanket.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I believe only damage the jtrs that did it had (even with some inexperienced journalists, but good spotters) was a few crushed tailpipes. You will, obviously, scrape the skids but that's what they're for. The rubicon is no overlanding trip tbh - that's hard core rock crawling - so I really think people lift these jeeps "just because" instead of due to actually needing it. It's almost like a comfort blanket.
Iā€™m lifting mine for serious rock crawling. Not for comfort. Iā€™ve been unable to complete certain obstacles that I will be able to after the lift and tires. But the lift going on is customized for my use, namely heavily loaded overlanding, then rock crawling after arrival at whatever location.

for overlanding though, stock is perfect.

Alaskantinbender

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch edition
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I haven't read thru the thread yet but the short answer is no. Stock is more than capable. And you don't need to spend tons of cash on an already expensive truck to have a blast. I have used a 2 inch spacer lift for just a little more clearance for the back roads but will keep the rest stock. I found a ARE aluminum topper for a Toyota that fit the height and width pretty good, just needed to be shortened 13 inches. I'm shortening the last side door now then will be shortening the roof rack to mount my awning.
Jeep Gladiator Is Lift and Larger Tires Necessary for Overlanding 289664364_10219598860275239_6355601725482281829_n
Jeep Gladiator Is Lift and Larger Tires Necessary for Overlanding IMG_4884[1].JPG
Jeep Gladiator Is Lift and Larger Tires Necessary for Overlanding IMG_4908.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Is Lift and Larger Tires Necessary for Overlanding IMG_4926.JPG

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Is it necessary to lift the JT and put larger tires on it to do overlanding ? Being down in South Texas I don't think there is a ton of overlanding areas unless you go down too the big bend area, etc possibly. I haven't done any but once I get the truck it might be something I would like to try occasionally. Its primary goal will be a daily driver and hauling my kayaks and camping gear around to various locations (Mostly pavement driving other than some areas where its beach/sand and 4 wheel drive is required. But the overlanding thing looks interesting. Not really rock crawling more just some offroad trail, etc that might lead to some very nice camping areas. I suppose there are varying levels of roughness. I was just wondering if lifting, etc would be required. I do plan to run 33's on the truck to keep the gas mileage decent.
While I agree with what most of the folks saying, the break over and departure angles are such that once you get into anything very rough at all you will drag the belly and rear bumper quite a bit. Necessary no, but a little lift and/or a little larger tires makes a big difference. If I were you I'd try it the way things are and see if its enough for what you want to do. If not you can adjust later.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Probably the biggest variables here is ā€œwhere are you over landingā€?
Could a stock variation make it through a lot? Sureā€¦ but extra protection and a few tweaks might make life a lot easier and better.

Death Valley? This was my back yard on our last Jeep. Lift required?- it was a JK so yes 2.5ā€. But the gladiator? No I wouldnā€™t lift it. 37ā€ tires- for sureā€¦. The extra bit of axle clearance is super appreciated, not to mention the ride once aired down a bit (also- clearance when aired down is often forgottenā€¦. It changes quite a bit). Skid plates? Jk no- JT- would be the first item I would purchase. Aluminum for light weight. The added protection/security would be a must for that ā€œoopsā€ moment in the middle of no where. Oil pan probability is lower than trans, but the transmission and transfer case were to my surprise a lot more open than my comfort level likes.

Helper bags in the rear and better shocks (our factory JTRD shocks leave a lot to be desiredā€¦.) would also be hot on the purchase list- unless you have the Mojave.

Just my .02.

AverageOverlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
my 2cents.

For real life functionality
If you're asking what size tires you need, a good quality AT/offroad 33" that will protect you from flats is where to start. It'll take you everywhere a beginner and intermediate driver needs to go.

If you find you need more capability, great you're getting into it, add a 2" lift. Even a winch if need be.
Congrats, you're still getting over 20mpg and have an extremely capable off-road rig.

Scenarios when to go bigger
-You feel like it and like the looks... Great, do your research, know this look is very expensive, your MPG's will plummet, you'll probably need to re-gear, you'll have a clumsier truck that's less nimble, you may need an expensive lift, future maintenance, the list goes on and on.

-All your buddies that you'll be going out with have massive lifts and tires... They're probably well past beginner off-roading, consult with them on how to build your rig to keep up

-You've done research and know the areas you'll be off-roading require this gear

When not to go bigger
-You've looked at pictures on this forum and fb and have been normalized to thinking you need 37-40" tires otherwise you'll get stuck crossing the speed bump at the mall
-You watched a Youtube video where they drove around all day looking for the perfect obstacle to show the advantage of larger tires(there are advantages), but they forget to mention that, yes that obstacle was a bit of a struggle, but it still made it, and the other 95% of the day the smaller tires were completely fine.

Also of note, I've gone much further down trails with my less capable 33" tires than guys with 40" tires and big lifts... Why, because I know the limitations of my rig and take the easier lines, where as others will just hammer every pit or obstacle, get stuck/damaged, and head home early that day. Again, there is terrain where you need the most capable rig possible "or-else", but that's more rare than common.

Hopefully this post helps someone who's just looking at getting into camping and exploring... It's crazy how many posts you see around here and FB where it's clear the people are inexperienced but just throwing 37" tires on because they think that's the entry level first mod... then are surprised at the variables that come along with the larger tires.
Sponsored