Is the Pentastar flex fuel capable?

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
In the FCA literature it says it is ok to use E85, but then there is the label NO E85.

Just trying to understand...
Sponsored

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
In the FCA literature it says it is ok to use E85, but then there is the label NO E85.

Just trying to understand...
Some Pentastars are Flex-Fuel capable, not the JL/JT one sadly.

OP
OP

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
That's really weird...

Livernois is saying it IS flex fuel capable and they actually have a FF tune for it.

strange...

Some Pentastars are Flex-Fuel capable, not the JL/JT one sadly.

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
That's really weird...

Livernois is saying it IS flex fuel capable and they actually have a FF tune for it.

strange...
You can probably tune it to handle Flex-Fuel.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
That's really weird...

strange...

Livernois is saying they WRITE a fuel mapping program for flex fuel.

As I read it from various places, the Gladiator in stock form is NOT Flex Fuel compatible.

The only advantage of Flex Fuel is at the pump. Once you figure in actual MPG and then loss of horsepower, it is a loss.

Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
The higher alcohol content in E85 can be detrimental to some fuel system components used over the years. I would want to know the system is really E85 ready, not just the tune. I’ve had Flex Fuel vehicles in the past. I have never seen the upside. I guess it did broaden my fuel availability by a few more pumps, very few around here.

OP
OP

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Right, but in order to write a tune for flex fuel, they need a sensor to measure it.
They don't mention anything about buying a sensor.

So, if the sensor is already on the truck, why isn't it a fav from the factory?

just curious

As I read it from various places, the Gladiator in stock form is NOT Flex Fuel compatible.

The only advantage of Flex Fuel is at the pump. Once you figure in actual MPG and then loss of horsepower, it is a loss.

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase

You don’t lose HP from E85.

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
This guy:

kevman65 said:

Sponsored

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Actually E85 gains a good little bump to power output. This was mentioned in another thread as well. The fuel system in every modern day car is ethanol compatible. It has to be due to the blended fuels. Anyone with an older boat motor understands just how bad even a little ethanol can be to components that are not ethanol compatible. It is also the reason that every marina still offers 100% pure gasoline. The only question remaining is if the ECU is tuned to run that type of fuel. The cars that are true flex fuel have a completely different ECU tune and many (not all) have an ethanol sensor to detect how much ethanol is in the fuel and as I understand it this is specifically for adjusting the timing curve rather than the fuel map. The correct AFR is identical for E85 as it is for gas and the ECU will automatically try to adjust to keep that AFR satisfied. The issue is does the fuel map And fuel system components have enough extra capacity to keep up with that added 25-30% additional fuel need that is inherent in E85. For example, I had to build my E85 system with larger fuel pump and injectors than what power level I am making. I went with the aeromotive fuel pump that supports up to 1200 HP even though the motor makes 900 (at the crank). I also went with the fitech unit that supports 1200HP for the same reason. I needed the extra fuel capacity in the larger injectors as well. So I have eight 58lb fuel injectors. I exacerbated my issue by then throwing the supercharger on it.

ok wait a second. I was going off topic a bit there. Anyway, technically speaking. The motor could run E85. Where I would be most concerned would be is the fuel pump providing sufficient capacity and are the injectors large enough to accommodate the ethanol? I am not sure but I am guessing someone with the parts manuals could cross check the injectors and fuel pumps to see if the flex fuel vehicles use the same part numbers. I would think they do simply because it is more cost effective to only stock one type of pump and injector than to try and carry multiple different components for the same job. However, I know where my knowledge stops and it would be right there. Maybe someone with knowledge of the parts and with access to compare can put those to rest? Then we only have the fuel map that would need to change. Which with the tune that is coming out of Livernois I would believe they have already put in the work. The E85 sensors are only there to determine the amount of ethanol in the fuel for the purpose of timing. This is because E85 fuel is not always 85% ethanol. Colder climates run less ethanol and more gas in the blend where warmer climates stay more near the 85% year round. So there definitely are drawbacks and concerns to running E85 but unfortunately there is also a ton of incorrect information out there as well.

JTsJT

First Name
J.T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Gator" Ford Excursion Diesel, Toyota FJ, Jeep XJ, Cadillac CTSV LSX Twin Turbo
I converted my LS turbo motor to flex fuel a few years ago. Had to install a alcohol sensor in the fuel line and wire the sensor into the ecu. Also had to change fuel pump and injectors.
Once this is done it can be tuned. The only reason I would ever do this to a JT is if I was going to run a supercharger or turbo. You can run much higher boost safely and make a ton more HP on E85.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
The OG Pentastar (JK) is E85 compatible, the upgraded Pentastar (JL/JT) is rated for up to E15.