Sponsored

Is this how the brights are supposed to work?

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I just lost 50 IQ points. I am backing out.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I just lost 50 IQ points. I am backing out.
And this is why I like this place - it's not always dead-serious, people can have fun, even if accidentally doing so while trying to be serious.

That's ok - those points can't be traded in for anything, not like green stamps (see how old folks here are with that one)

OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Well, while everyone is getting their laughs in, I just want to clarify...
when the lever is pushed forward, nothing happens. When the lever is pulled it flashes for a millisecond and turns off, holding it in either position does nothing.

I'm guessing I am doing something incredibly stupid, based on the responses. In my other cars, I'm used to pulling the lever back for a brief flash (or until I let go) and pushing it forward to leave it on. In this case, forward does nothing, back flashes for a second and holding does not keep it on.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, while everyone is getting their laughs in, I just want to clarify...
when the lever is pushed forward, nothing happens. When the lever is pulled it flashes for a millisecond and turns off, holding it in either position does nothing.

I'm guessing I am doing something incredibly stupid, based on the responses. In my other cars, I'm used to pulling the lever back for a brief flash (or until I let go) and pushing it forward to leave it on. In this case, forward does nothing, back flashes for a second and holding does not keep it on.
No. I don't think that at all - it's just been a terribly long week, and today was no fun and I'm a bit goofy anyway. (ask my wife)
It could be your switch isn't acting like it should. I have found sometimes mine comes right back off bright - and people must think I'm flashing them or something. Most of the time it's fine, but at least twice I've pushed it forward with enough effort it should stay, and it didn't. I noticed the Compass I drove the switch had a more deliberate feel to it - not mushy like mine.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
When you push the stalk forward, are you getting the typical blue indicator on the dash to say that your brights are on? I ask because I used mine for the first time (not the flash to pass, that works fine, the actual brights) and was convinced mine aren’t working. I haven’t dug too far into mine, but I really cannot see any tangible difference in light output between standard and brights despite the blue indicator on the dash. I remember reading someone else had an issue and ended up having their stalk system replaced under warranty.

Glad I saw this thread; I was juggling a million things when I realized the issue and forgot to dig further in.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When you push the stalk forward, are you getting the typical blue indicator on the dash to say that your brights are on? I ask because I used mine for the first time (not the flash to pass, that works fine, the actual brights) and was convinced mine aren’t working. I haven’t dug too far into mine, but I really cannot see any tangible difference in light output between standard and brights despite the blue indicator on the dash. I remember reading someone else had an issue and ended up having their stalk system replaced under warranty.

Glad I saw this thread; I was juggling a million things when I realized the issue and forgot to dig further in.
If mine acts up again I'm going to talk to them about it because it's a "muddy" feel, not a nice clean switch action. Others move easily and don't take a lot of effort and when pushed or pulled, they stay that way. Mine I've had to hit twice to get it to click and hold the brights on.

OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S

Yes, the indicator comes on, but the lights themselves do not change.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I always felt mine were doing the same thing...I hopped out of the Jeep to look at the lights...there is actually a slight difference. I do think that of all the vehicles I have owned, this is the least noticeable difference between high and low beams I have ever seen. It might just be the Halogens. Who knows.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've actually had mine not activate the high beam even though I pushed the lever forward. But in my case, the blue indicator didn't stay on.
I have LED and frankly, it's not a huge difference between low and high, IMO. I can brighten more road signs down the road further with the halogen factory type headlights in my eagle - especially since I made my own harness and rigged two relays next to the battery to power the headlights. I now get full system voltage to the lamps. Even properly aimed, I get flashed now and then. The pattern isn't as good as modern lights, but they sure light things up down the road.

Sponsored

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S , 2018 Jeep Compass, 2016 WRX
Time to talk to your dealer! If it doesn’t work and the light switch is in the manual on, or even auto and the headlights are initiated . You have a problem. Either the multifunction switch or what ever module controls the lighting output. Maybe even the always popular “software update”.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
lol, I know it sounds stupid, but they legitimately do not work. Well, I've found now, at least while driving. It works fine when I'm parked, but while driving the most it will do is a millisecond flash in either direction.
Does the dash show they are on? I have noticed there is barely a difference between high and low beams

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I always felt mine were doing the same thing...I hopped out of the Jeep to look at the lights...there is actually a slight difference. I do think that of all the vehicles I have owned, this is the least noticeable difference between high and low beams I have ever seen. It might just be the Halogens. Who knows.
EXACT scenario for me. I CAN see something changing, but I swear the actual amount of dispersed light seems unchanged.

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S , 2018 Jeep Compass, 2016 WRX
I can’t speak for Rubicons or the others but on my plain Jane, Sport S they work fine. Just as you might imagine. There is better illumination in close with the fogs on. But that’s normal. They work just like my last 3 have. Just normal halogens.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
EXACT scenario for me. I CAN see something changing, but I swear the actual amount of dispersed light seems unchanged.
I also don't really notice a huge change other than the line defining the top of the beam isn't there, but what's above it isn't all that bright. The brights on this are rather disappointing. They work - but it's hardly worth switching much of the time.
Sponsored