Jeep ceo…. Wants zero emission freedom brand

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Very simply this.....until technology makes a HUGE leap forward, this idea of all electric will be for a small %. Call it nano tech or whatever. Today’s technology cannot support millions upon millions of cars. Not to mention the cost of buying and charging every single day. It can’t. People just need to admit this to themselves.

Take the fact that ”most” will charge their vehicles overnight .....Go sit at your local gas station for 1 day and watch and count the sheer number of cars coming and going. Now imagine that each of those data points now takes 45 minutes to “fill up”. We are giving everyday drivers too much credit that they will be charging every night AND they are running around less than current vehicles capacity on 100% charge. ....today.

ICEs are here for a while.

ETA: electric is just a interim “Option”. There will be another technology in the future that will allow for greater adoption rates That makes more sense. Electric is not the answer.

instead of looking at what goes up front .....technology needs to look at what “goes in the tank”.
Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
really? Ill have to look now. I didnt realize that.

Just the same, I really think the tech is not substantial enough yet.

Edit:

So its a tax credit. Your still stuck footing the entire cost of the jeep up front. That credit would only really help that price IF you paid all of it to the principal and then refinance the jeep. Which, on a $55,000 still means you'd be financing $47,500 assuming you didnt have anything down. thats a big carrot to swallow!
Lol I said it was a tax credit, and that's only if you qualify for the full thing. Someone in my position (single and I don't owe anything on my taxes, I always get money back) wouldn't get all $7,500 for federal. I've heard of some people somehow getting the dealer to take the credit and they take that amount off the vehicle. Dunno if that's really a thing but would be nice. But yes, it's something everyone should think about before getting one (not that they shoulnd't be thinking hard anyways).

Last edited:

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Lol I said it was a tax credit, and that's only if you qualify for the full thing. Someone in my position (single and I don't owe anything on my taxes, I always get money back). I've heard of some people somehow getting the dealer to take the credit and they take that amount off the vehicle. Dunno if that's really a thing but would be nice. But yes, it's something everyone should think about before getting one (not that they shoulnd't be thinking hard anyways).
lol you definitely did, I just some how processed it as a discount...until I googled it and "tax credit" clicked.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Very simply this.....until technology makes a HUGE leap forward, this idea of all electric will be for a small %. Call it nano tech or whatever. Today’s technology cannot support millions upon millions of cars. Not to mention the cost of buying and charging every single day. It can’t. People just need to admit this to themselves.

Take the fact that ”most” will charge their vehicles overnight .....Go sit at your local gas station for 1 day and watch and count the sheer number of cars coming and going. Now imagine that each of those data points now takes 45 minutes to “fill up”. We are giving everyday drivers too much credit that they will be charging every night AND they are running around less than current vehicles capacity on 100% charge. ....today.

ICEs are here for a while.

ETA: electric is just a interim “Option”. There will be another technology in the future that will allow for greater adoption rates That makes more sense. Electric is not the answer.

instead of looking at what goes up front .....technology needs to look at what “goes in the tank”.
I agree that ICE is here for awhile. However, recharging does not have to occur in a concentrated spot like refueling today. It can easily be decentralized with a fraction of the construction cost of a gas station. You can see this with chargers at every retail outlet, office building, govt building, etc. Now the behind the scenes infrastructure to support this additional electric demand will still need to be greatly improved to support 100% adoption.

I personally like the fuel cell idea. Smaller battery, lighter weight, and better range and refueling time. Agreed, we are likely to see a few different technologies emerge if the battery density and recharge can’t be made more attractive.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
lol you definitely did, I just some how processed it as a discount...until I googled it and "tax credit" clicked.
Because that’s what we all wished it was. Lol

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's quite stupid really how these things are advertised normally, Jeep actually does it right. A lot of other manufacturers show the price to include the full tax credit, there's usually a button you have to toggle to show the actual MSRP you have to finance still. The average person/family won't see the full credit and may have sticker shock when they realize they're paying $7,500 more than they planned.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the most part ICE isn't going anywhere for a while. A lot of the plants in the US at least are coal and natural gas, sometimes byproducts of trying to get oil. The petroleum industry isn't going to go away just because we are "going away from" gasoline and/or diesel. Too many byprodcuts come from refining crude oil including everything from plastics, kerosene, petroleum jelly, and many, many more things.

Until we start to build nuke plants as well it won't ever be a "clean" energy either, we're just offloading our emissions somewhere else that has to increase production for more power. That's assuming our power grid can handle it, which needs massive upgrades very quickly if we want to start.

The other thing is proponents of this say how much cheaper it is to use electricity as opposed to gas. That's neat until you think about the fact that they're talking about charging "off peak". Guess what's going to happen to those "off peak" hours when everyone comes home from work and plugs in their cars? At least 1 per household? No more "off peak" hours. The higher electric premiums are going to diminish the savings people think they're going to as opposed to gas. Trust me, they're going to find a way to get theirs still, the prices won't go down, they'll never go down, only up.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I'm sure EVs have their place in an urban environment but with present technology I can not imagine a more useless vehicle out here.

I've also watched a few YT videos of an EV owner trying to make some longer trips. His stress and frustration at finding charging stations and the time he wastes sitting around for a charge is comical.

Not to mention the "carbon footprint" used in the production of the EV, lithium mining, etc. A pig in a poke in my opinion.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep ceo…. Wants zero emission freedom brand 20201206_141621 (1) (Medium)

JeepTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bright White Willys.
the sound of a gas engine will be missed.
I know electric EV's are inevitable however, I completely agree with your statement.

I can still remember the sound, smell, and excitement of turning on a 68 mustang with a 302 engine. I was in 7th grade and used to warm up my sisters mustang as she used to take me to school in it.

TimC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator , 2021 Wrangler
Occupation
Telecom

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Lol I said it was a tax credit, and that's only if you qualify for the full thing. Someone in my position (single and I don't owe anything on my taxes, I always get money back) wouldn't get all $7,500 for federal. I've heard of some people somehow getting the dealer to take the credit and they take that amount off the vehicle. Dunno if that's really a thing but would be nice. But yes, it's something everyone should think about before getting one (not that they shoulnd't be thinking hard anyways).
A tax credit is different than a tax deduction. It has zero to do with your income or tax bracket. If the vehicle qualifies for the credit, you get it. Period. If you don’t want to finance what you’re getting back in the spring, you do a $7,500 down payment, which is refunded to you after you file your taxes. And in many states you get some there as well. We got a $10,000 tax credit on one we bought this year, so put 10k down before financing, and not including our trade.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A tax credit is different than a tax deduction. It has zero to do with your income or tax bracket. If the vehicle qualifies for the credit, you get it. Period. If you don’t want to finance what you’re getting back in the spring, you do a $7,500 down payment, which is refunded to you after you file your taxes. And in many states you get some there as well. We got a $10,000 tax credit on one we bought this year, so put 10k down before financing, and not including our trade.
Seriously? I've literally looked for info on this stuff online before and it always brings me to convoluted BS that puts me to sleep before I can get into it properly. I had no idea.

You would still have to have that cash ahead of time though, wouldn't you?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously? I've literally looked for info on this stuff online before and it always brings me to convoluted BS that puts me to sleep before I can get into it properly. I had no idea.
Seriously. Feel free to DM me. I’d be happy to share how it works in detail.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I see it as a really big loss and more than a little disappointing. If this is the direction that Jeep is going, and it obviously is, then I've bought my last new Jeep.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I believe there is a misconception in your statement.
EV owners do not “charge every single day”
Just as I and many others do not gas up every day.
With comparable range, most will only need to charge maybe once a week if they are used as daily commuters.
Just saying.

EVs are here, they are rapidly evolving, they will not fully eliminate ICEs,
but they will help alleviate pollution if the right sources of providing the energy to charge them progresses to allow a huge percentage to be on the road replacing gassers.
The slow evolution of solar, and wind energy has a lot to do with the loss of revenue in taxation and big oil companies profits.

Does anyone really think the major oil companies want to see the EV revolution?

Yes as mentioned it won’t be eliminated as petroleum products are not just for vehicle fuels, but mankind has to start somewhere in eliminating what is so obvious to so many in regards to pollution.

Mankind has the ability to adapt to alternative fuels, be it from hydrogen, solar, wind, or nuclear.
But we live in a money driven society of greed over simple common sense on how to solve the evident and proven global warming from pollution.

Dismounting my soapbox now.📦
Sponsored