First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineering Technical Director
You're probably gonna be real upset when you find out that because the electric powertrain requires movement of lubricated parts of the ICE, the ICE still has to kick on every time long enough to heat up the fluids. That means the electric portion is unable to operate independently in a lot of situations, including colder weather.

Now, conceptually a 4xe would be great! But once I read about the above I nope'd right out of that.
Guess I need to do a little more research on the 4xe.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I need to do a little more research on the 4xe.
Definitely, and the research needs to be outside of dealers and Stellantis. The inline design of the 4xE hybrid drivetrain is not good. It absolutely requires the engine to run to keep things warm enough. The idea of the short all electric commute is false with the 4xE. This is why we sold ours in 14 days. It was replaced with a plug-in hybrid Volvo, which works perfectly on pure electric, so it’s a very attainable goal, just not with Jeep. They’ll need to do an entire redesign before I’ll look at Stellantis plug-in hybrid again.

jeepinmike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Definitely, and the research needs to be outside of dealers and Stellantis. The inline design of the 4xE hybrid drivetrain is not good. It absolutely requires the engine to run to keep things warm enough. The idea of the short all electric commute is false with the 4xE. This is why we sold ours in 14 days. It was replaced with a plug-in hybrid Volvo, which works perfectly on pure electric, so it’s a very attainable goal, just not with Jeep. They’ll need to do an entire redesign before I’ll look at Stellantis plug-in hybrid again.
Huh? So if i get in a 4xe on a full charge and I hit the electric only mode you are saying it still requires the ICE provided my communte is with the batteries range?

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Huh? So if i get in a 4xe on a full charge and I hit the electric only mode you are saying it still requires the ICE provided my communte is with the batteries range?
Exactly.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. It was our fourth plug-in, and I’m a true Jeep lover, and I was as shocked as you might be. The joke is with its 20+mile pure electric range, short commuters should be the perfect use case buyers. But nope. Short drives are the worst. Our commute with that one would have been around 6-8miles one way daily. Perfect right? Nope. It took most of that for the ICE to warm up the fluids before pure electric became available. The problem is that it won’t become available until engine temperature reaches a point that isn’t achievable at highway speeds for an hour, in the winter. It might work fine in Florida. Great torque, fun to drive, capable solid axle off-road vehicle, but pure electric range, not if it’s a little chilly. I’m not talking sun zero either. It did this at 40+. We sold it back as a used car with approximately 350 miles for a 5k loss.

jeepinmike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just did a little more research and this problem appears in most PHEV in very cold climates (canada, michigan, Minnesota, etc) so it doesnt appear like this is any special issue of Jeeps 4xe. Same issue diesel owners need to consider with the climates they live in. Good thing i live in the south so this problem shouldnt effect me since ive been considering a 4xe if it ever makes it to the Gladiator. I read also in Volvos literature that cold weather could effect their ev mode performance as well unless you have maybe the new xc40 or whatever but i doubt many Wrangler owners are cross shopping volvos anyway.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just did a little more research and this problem appears in most PHEV in very cold climates (canada, michigan, Minnesota, etc) so it doesnt appear like this is any special issue of Jeeps 4xe. Same issue diesel owners need to consider with the climates they live in. Good thing i live in the south so this problem shouldnt effect me since ive been considering a 4xe if it ever makes it to the Gladiator. I read also in Volvos literature that cold weather could effect their ev mode performance as well unless you have maybe the new xc40 or whatever but i doubt many Wrangler owners are cross shopping volvos anyway.
Actually no. We replaced ours with an equally priced plug-in hybrid Volvo suv, and in close to zero degree temps, pure electric works fine after maybe 1/4 mile of warm up on hybrid. Perfect vehicle. Pure electric for short commutes, over 400hp combined, fast as all get out, and amazing fuel economy even on long drives. Several drive modes. Pure electric, pure power, hybrid, full time awd, and off-road. So this is NOT a problem with the concept of plug-in hybrid suvs in general. But Jeep’s attempt definitely has this design problem.

jeepinmike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually no. We replaced ours with an equally priced plug-in hybrid Volvo suv, and in close to zero degree temps, pure electric works fine after maybe 1/4 mile of warm up on hybrid. Perfect vehicle. Pure electric for short commutes, over 400hp combined, fast as all get out, and amazing fuel economy even on long drives. Several drive modes. Pure electric, pure power, hybrid, full time awd, and off-road. So this is NOT a problem with the concept of plug-in hybrid suvs in general. But Jeep’s attempt definitely has this design problem.
Ok not sure why you wouldn’t mention the model but thanks for pointing out the issue for those that may live in cold climates and could be effected by this. I imagine over time Jeep will continue to improve their PHEV performance. Wonder if the new Grand Cherokee 4xe would have this issue.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok not sure why you wouldn’t mention the model but thanks for pointing out the issue for those that may live in cold climates and could be effected by this. I imagine over time Jeep will continue to improve their PHEV performance. Wonder if the new Grand Cherokee 4xe would have this issue.
Wasn’t intentional. Just ask. We have a 2022 Volvo XC60 Recharge in mostly the base trim package. The base package is WAY better equipped than any available Jeep on the market though. Same price give or take 2k or so. More power, nicer to drive, highway self driving, heads up display, etc. amazing vehicle. It’s not a solid axle 4x4, but handles everything the mountains of CO can throw at it, short of rock crawling. We’ve got a gladiator for that though. :) the grand Cherokee will almost certainly share that same issue. Same drivetrain.

Sponsored

jeepinmike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice. Well hopefully Jeep will continue to improve. They are not leaders at all in plug in hybrid technology but you did bring up a new consideration for those in cold climates wanting to operate one.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. Well hopefully Jeep will continue to improve. They are not leaders at all in plug in hybrid technology but you did bring up a new consideration for those in cold climates wanting to operate one.
Yep. I was sad the 4xE wasn’t ready, but happy it’s not systemic of the concept as a whole. There’s a lot of bad information out there claiming EV doesn’t work in cold climates, like what you found earlier. Including the 4xE we had for two weeks, we’ve had 5 plugins since 2013. It was the only one we didn’t love, and didn’t do exactly what it was designed to. It ended up being a 4cyl turbo wrangler that got worse mileage than a standard Sahara. The hybrid drivetrain puts more load on the ICE, making it use more gas. Hilarious actually. It should be mentioned that we’ve NEVER owned a Tesla, and never will.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Mine doesn't, it works full electric even in the 30s this year but I live in Florida. Mileage may vary based on location, temperature, and equipment.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine doesn't, it works full electric even in the 30s this year but I live in Florida. Mileage may vary based on location, temperature, and equipment.
Lived there for 20 years. If you decide to move, sell it before you leave. :) probably works great in 80-90 degree temps.

UnforseenWeather

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave
Occupation
Creative Guy
Tagging this thread … I have been seeing some really nice tricked out Gladiators on the expressway around the Tech center for a few weeks now. A fairly cool looking baja lightbar/rollbar setup, stuff like that. Not 100% sure it’s from Mopar or not, since there are a lot of accessory makers in the area too. But, fun to speculate.
Sponsored