Jeep sucks.... I have no idea how some of you have owned so many

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Well at the transmission control module with a multimeter, a tech could check for 12V constant and keyswitch. If that checks. The communication busses, should be at 5 volts and measure 60 ohms. If that all checks out the easiest next step would be to try another controller, eventhough they rarely fail, it could be a bad pin or something that get resolved by simply reseating the connector.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Well at the transmission control module with a multimeter, a tech could check for 12V constant and keyswitch. If that checks. The communication busses, should be at 5 volts and measure 60 ohms. If that all checks out the easiest next step would be to try another controller, eventhough they rarely fail, it could be a bad pin or something that get resolved by simply reseating the connector.
Itā€™s a shame your not closer. You sound like you know more then both the dealerships Iā€™ve been to. I really donā€™t think either have a clue. I donā€™t think there spending to much time working on it either. I think all the oil change and tire rotation jobs are priority. I keep getting put on the back burner.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I see your truck is lifted. And it sounds like it was fine for a while. How long? How long after the lift did the problems start? Is it possible that something got pinched or strewed or slightly separated. So that it was fine for a while but then it failed wore through shorted out etc

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
I see your truck is lifted. And it sounds like it was fine for a while. How long? How long after the lift did the problems start? Is it possible that something got pinched or strewed or slightly separated. So that it was fine for a while but then it failed wore through shorted out etc
Lift and wheels were installed by dealer first week I purchased it. Truck was fine from June 2020 till first week of March 2021. The day I hit 20,000 miles is the day it started messing up. At first I thought it was aux battery causing issues but dealer said they replaced it that it was bad. Still didnā€™t fix anything.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Itā€™s a shame your not closer. You sound like you know more then both the dealerships Iā€™ve been to. I really donā€™t think either have a clue. I donā€™t think there spending to much time working on it either. I think all the oil change and tire rotation jobs are priority. I keep getting put on the back burner.
I would definitely be up for looking at it. I design embedded controls for my day job. I waded into the Gladiator pool when I bought my supercharger. I am about full on olympic trials at this point. The Gladiator system is pretty decent I think the problem is it came down to this was a parts bin build for FCA. I don't thinknit got its fair shake in the validation phase. My guess is they treated it like the media. It is wrangler with a bed. When you have 4 or 5 control module with 3-6 closed loop controls talking in time spans of 1 digit milliseconds, there is no way around it. It is going to be complicated and it is going to need validated.

Sponsored

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I question FCA's electrical competence overall - the 'need' for the aux. battery is evidence of that. What other major manufacturer has such a thing? Edit - my bad, even the 'mightly' Tesla has 12V batteries in their cars - this last century mentality has to go!

Last edited:

Zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I've owned about 3 dozen Jeeps over the years, and I've loved em all.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I question FCA's electrical competence overall - the 'need' for the aux. battery is evidence of that. What other major manufacturer has such a thing?

Ford, GM, VW, BMW...

If it is a non-hybrid car most if not all of them use a second battery for start stop. Hybrid cars use the engine and braking to charge a bank of batteries that can run electrical systems including electric motors, as well as the start stop system, they do have a regular battery for initial start up, although good luck finding that battery (usually buried in the trunk)

PS Jeeps donā€™t suck, your dealership does.

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
I have to resonate what some others have said here. It can happen with any brand. I work for Subaru, and they are known to be pretty diehard. I have seen a few over the past few years that were electrical basket cases, and Subaru bought them back from the customers. Sounds like you have a poor service department and an unlikely truck. I'm sorry dude. I see too many wranglers over 150k miles to believe they are all junk.... they seem over all reliable. I truly hope you get it resolved and fall in love with it. And if you jump ship, I hope you find something great! Lots of good products out there these days!
How hard is it to get the companies to buy them back?

Sponsored

tumbes2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Sounds like the Ford I owned. Biggest pile of crap car I ever bought. Sadly it was the second Ford I had bought and both of them were garbage. I won't even give them a 3rd chance. I can attest though to having to deal with the jeep dealerships that don't want to waste anytime with you.
Recently did a survey for Jeep and that was one of the things I mentioned they really needed to figure a way to get the dealerships on the ball or come up with something else cause it seems like the dealerships are the one's causing most of the pain
Dealer quality is definitely a problem for Jeep

Reactions: BAT

tumbes2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I question FCA's electrical competence overall - the 'need' for the aux. battery is evidence of that. What other major manufacturer has such a thing? Edit - my bad, even the 'mightly' Tesla has 12V batteries in their cars - this last century mentality has to go!
My 2014 merc had three batteries

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
How hard is it to get the companies to buy them back?
There have been a few guys on here who have gone that route. If possible I would ask that you be present when the regional rep looks at your truck and hear first hand what he says. Then based on his comments decide if having the vehicle bought back is the right path for you.

I also agree that your dealer(s) are incompetent, which has been my experience with my local dealer. I now take it to a dealer in the next town over and they have been better (not great, mind you, but better).

BTW, please tell us which 2 dealers youā€™ve been to so the. Rest of us can learn.
Good luck!

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Extremely frustrating for you. I had two Wranglers back in the 90s. My first and second vehicles. Wrangler 1 was great. Wrangler 2 was not. I hadn't even considered a Jeep product since until the Gladiator and my primary concern was quality.

I opted to do a Launch Edition Gladiator and I'm at 15k miles with no issues other than the drive shaft recall.

If I had your problems I'd be out as well. I hope you get it resolved or you get the Lemon Law claim to go in your favor and find something that works for you OP.
This is my concern. I have owned primarily Volvos, one Subaru STi, and one Miata over the last 20 years. All have been great cars. In fact I've still got my 2002 Volvo wagon that I use as a 3rd car for towing (3800 lbs) and if I need a 3 row car. (they used to put 3rd row jump seats in wagons before SUVs became popular).

I tend to keep my cars for 10-12+ years. If I was leasing a jeep for 2 years I wouldn't care about quality and longevity. But I worry about almost anything domestic. But damn if the Gladiator (and the Bronco) aren't intriguing, clever, interesting vehicles.

And then there is rust. . . .

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
This is my concern. I have owned primarily Volvos, one Subaru STi, and one Miata over the last 20 years. All have been great cars. In fact I've still got my 2002 Volvo wagon that I use as a 3rd car for towing (3800 lbs) and if I need a 3 row car. (they used to put 3rd row jump seats in wagons before SUVs became popular).

I tend to keep my cars for 10-12+ years. If I was leasing a jeep for 2 years I wouldn't care about quality and longevity. But I worry about almost anything domestic. But damn if the Gladiator (and the Bronco) aren't intriguing, clever, interesting vehicles.

And then there is rust. . . .
Ha ha, so much aluminum, plastic, and fiberglass in the Gladiator rust isn't even on my mind at all....šŸ˜
Sponsored