Sponsored

Jeep Wave oil change analysis 5K mile OCI

Aj58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mojave X
Just curious,

Why do people do these? Is it just to check for metal and debris in the oil? Is it because you don’t trust the dealerships? To protect your warranty?

Just curious.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hootbro

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Just curious,

Why do people do these? Is it just to check for metal and debris in the oil? Is it because you don’t trust the dealerships? To protect your warranty?

Just curious.
For those that are interested in their engines state of health and where it is trending. Depending on the report and wear metal counts, you can ascertain if one is possibly having abnormal valvetrain (iron) or possible crank bearing (copper, chromium) wear. High silicon numbers may mean a unfiltered air intake issue and high sodium may mean coolant intrusion.

Oil analysis reports are generally not actionable things a dealership will work upon if presented with. It is more of just having a data point for the owner when starting down the process of working any engine related issues should they arise.

Many do not see the need, especially those that just see their vehicles as either work or not working when it come to maintenance.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious,

Just curious.
Go to a page such as Blackstone Labs where it explains what they look for - and study the example result page they have with explanations as well as the results posted by members here.
They show exactly what's being looked for.
I can't see how it's got anything to do with trust. If you lack trust, no analysis is going to help that. You either let them do it or you don't as far as oil changes.
I can't speak to the speedy lube get 'em in, get 'em out, collect the money - next! joints, but the dealerships I've gone to for such service use the correct oil and filters and I've not had problems.
If I don't trust a place, I simply don't go there, it's not a matter of lab results.

You check for remaining life in oil if you wish - say you've collected a sample at 4,000 miles, with the right tests you can tell if it's safe to go another 3 or 4,000 or if you need to change it sooner. It will help determine if the type of driving you normally do aligns with the frequency of your oil changes.
It's not a necessity - if there's debris in the oil no analysis can fix the engine - but it can tell you don't take that trip from LA to Chicago with it. Or it can say you are fine, nothing to see here.
If you have great results for some there's no need to check every time. If you see a problem, then you can watch trends - is it getting better or worse.
Do you go to the doctor for an annual checkup, or wait until you are in the ER?
If you find certain contaminations it might say your air filter is total crap or you need to change it more frequently or you have an air filter seal that's bad.
Other results may say hey, you may have an explanation for that coolant loss you've been seeing.

Are these necessary? Nope. Millions of cars and trucks go hundreds of thousands of miles and never once have these done.
If you have 20,000 miles on your vehicle and there's nothing of concern - it runs great, you change oil frequently or at least don't wait until you hit the max, and the engine is quiet and there's no trouble, it's not going to say a lot that you don't already know.
Or it can confirm what you believe you know.

For me it's sort of like watching the logs on the servers I used to deal with, firewall logs, other logs -trending. SQL server logs - trending - we're going to need to add a few processor cores or more RAM if we add this function to our database app.
Trending.......... if you see things climb - look for why.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I’ll throw my hat in here and say I agree with what @Hootbro and @ShadowsPapa have said above. One other reason I do mine is to prove I did my own oil change. Yes, you can show receipts and all that but I have reports to prove this and I’ve also kept my first 6 oil filters that are cut open and stretched out.

It feels good to have this knowledge and to be able to show others what and why you’re doing these reports. The data the lab finds is hard factual data, it isn’t guessing.

I’ve gone one step further and had all my components analyzed, not just the engine. If it needs oil to run, I have reports done on them. Understanding the wear metal numbers will either put you at ease or at least prepare you for some internal breakdown that’s coming down the road.

Watching how these numbers trend will either make you think “it’s a keeper” or “I should plan on getting rid of it.”

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't see any need to do anything on this "new" JT until it had some "work" and miles on it.
The first one is gone and dealer sold it quickly and sounds like it's doing fine so I've trashed all records which is VERY much unlike me! I generally keep things for 40 or 50 years. (My son didn't like the idea of some day having to help clean out the house)
Anyway, here's the history:
New July 2022.
Towed 5,000 pounds (car hauler with car) 360 mile round trip, hilly interstate.
First oil change at 2164 miles mid-September before trip to FL with it.
Drove almost non-stop from here to there, and pretty much non-stop back save for gas stops.
Plowed a little snow a couple of times with it, second oil change January 2023 at 8444 miles.
Sent in sample with total of 12,098 miles on engine, 3654 miles on oil.
Sample pulled via dipstick tube after a 20 mile round trip to town and back, stopped truck, pulled sample right away.

So this is the second oil, 12,098 miles on the engine, 3654 miles on the oil as tested.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wave oil change analysis 5K mile OCI 1688600422901

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hootbro

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Here is the latest one where I ran a 5K mile OCI of Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 I had on hand. Trends pretty much the same as the previous MOPAR 0W-20 other than viscosity.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ning-no-politics.23705/page-1591#post-1144409

Replaced it and currently running my second dealership Jeep Wave service with whatever dealership bulk 0W-20 they put in.

Currently at 22K total vehicle miles with no complaints about the engine.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wave oil change analysis 5K mile OCI Blackstone

Attachments

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I’ll throw my hat in here and say I agree with what @Hootbro and @ShadowsPapa have said above. One other reason I do mine is to prove I did my own oil change. Yes, you can show receipts and all that but I have reports to prove this and I’ve also kept my first 6 oil filters that are cut open and stretched out.

It feels good to have this knowledge and to be able to show others what and why you’re doing these reports. The data the lab finds is hard factual data, it isn’t guessing.

I’ve gone one step further and had all my components analyzed, not just the engine. If it needs oil to run, I have reports done on them. Understanding the wear metal numbers will either put you at ease or at least prepare you for some internal breakdown that’s coming down the road.

Watching how these numbers trend will either make you think “it’s a keeper” or “I should plan on getting rid of it.”
When Subaru asked me for service records before replacing the block due to oil consumption, I sent them receipts and oil analyses. They didn't balk at all.

OP
OP
Hootbro

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Latest report running my second Jeep Wave oil change. Ran it for 4600 miles this time. This report took 4 weeks this time to get back. Blackstone is slipping hard of late getting things done.

Anyways, things continue to trend down and am pretty happy with the iron levels. Currently running Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wave oil change analysis 5K mile OCI Oil Analysis

Attachments

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Roughly 25,000 miles on the engine - looks like you may have a long-timer.

OP
OP
Hootbro

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Well, looks like Blackstone is picking up the slack as this latest sample took only 3 weeks when others lately have been reporting a 5 week turn around.

Anyways, ran this for 5,029 miles using Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20. Aluminum did bump up smidge but this is the first oil run with a recently installed Baxter Performance oil filter adapter that is primarily an aluminum body assembly. So I will monitor that going forward.

Currently running a mixed brand and grade oil change to get rid of some orphaned quarts I had around the garage.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wave oil change analysis 5K mile OCI Oil Report 1-27-24

Attachments

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If I recall, the only aluminum wear area in these is pistons. Not sure why their filter adapter would make such a change but who knows. I'd think it would have to actually erode or wear to contribute to aluminum. Still not a big number.

Madtom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2020 JLU, 2023 JTURD
Occupation
DOD Civilian, Retired Military
Got my first Oil sample report back..... I'm sure the jeep wave would be ok but I like doing my own as I plan on having this truck for a few years. monitoring the oil while in a stock state allows me to make informed decisions before I add items such as a different tune etc...... as i see what changes data wise. PZ euro 5W-40 for the fill along with a MOPAR filter....Fuel filter will get changed next time. I plan on a 5k change schedule as this is my truck and i can love on it more than the factory recommends. Our other jeep with the 2.0L engine gets a 4K schedule as Italians like being clean. I think this VM Motori is in the same category. I wont really get an accurate read until like oil change #3 or 4 and then will decide if I want to change the tune etc. Been reading how the % fuel dilution in oil is affected by tunes.

been doing more highway miles last couple of tanks and the average mileage is creeping towards 24..... could also be coming out of winter fuels which would do the same thing lol.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wave oil change analysis 5K mile OCI 5159miles

OP
OP
Hootbro

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Got my first Oil sample report back.....
You are probably better off starting it's own thread or taking this over to the diesel section. Your wear numbers if I was to look at it through the lens of a Pentastar oil analysis averaging trends, the aluminum and potassium numbers are high even for a new engine.

Madtom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2020 JLU, 2023 JTURD
Occupation
DOD Civilian, Retired Military
You are probably better off starting it's own thread or taking this over to the diesel section. Your wear numbers if I was to look at it through the lens of a Pentastar oil analysis averaging trends, the aluminum and potassium numbers are high even for a new engine.
Thanks will do :) hoping the Aluminum numbers are not a trend but I do have the 125K 8 year max care so not to worried at this point... just documenting as I go ;)

OP
OP
Hootbro

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
This report I dedicate to @Maximus Gladius

Recently did my 850RE transmission fluid and filter change at 31,774 about three weeks ago.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ning-no-politics.23705/page-1809#post-1267876

Pretty much everything checked out fine. Aluminum was noted to be bit higher than universal averages but not deemed excessive for a initial fill. ZF 8 Speed fluid went back in and will probably change again at the 60K mile just see where the Aluminum is trending and may extend it out to 50K mile changes after that.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wave oil change analysis 5K mile OCI ZF Analysis
Sponsored

Attachments