Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I had a 69 C-10 that I bought worn out from the government. I never changed the oil because I had to add about a gallon a month 😄
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I had a 69 C-10 that I bought worn out from the government. I never changed the oil because I had to add about a gallon a month 😄
I forgot. Dating the first wifey. She had a Vega. When she pulled into a gas station. It was check the gas and fill the oil. That thing dripped oil from everywhere. It was bleeding through the block too. LOL The block casing was that porous.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
This guy does some head to head tests and shows the Ultra Platinum to be superior in the Pennzoil line.

His videos on oil testing are pure entertainment and do not remotely follow any ASTM testing standards to any scientific degree. Especially the bearing wear and heat evaporative tests.

That bearing wear machine he uses is what hucksters years back at county fairs would use to sell some oil additive magic in a bottle crap and has no relation to 4 ball wear testing that is required to ASTM standards. You could use shampoo in that machine and it would show a better wear pattern than any oil used.

Those videos at best may show some data differences between a high/low sample but I would not draw any conclusions as to what is best when the brand samples show close measured results from his test method.

All his videos do is give a unjust confirmation bias to many who support whatever brand or brands he says comes out on top.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
10,000 miles and still looking good.

Jeep Gladiator XXXXX Mile Oil Analysis 10000 Oil Report
I look at these numbers as it's an indication of not just "wear" vs. "Abnormal wear", but how well the engine is being managed (fuel) and lack of any leaks such as head gaskets, cracks and so on, and the lack of water says there's likely no extreme condensation - it's warming up and keeping water out of the crankcase. The flashpoint states no fuel contamination and it's a decent oil with a high temperature tolerance.

Jeep Gladiator XXXXX Mile Oil Analysis 1674661407389

The zinc and phosphorus I'm still getting my head wrapped around as far as when seen in oil analysis, but if my ducks are lining up, as time passes and the correct combinations of pressures and temperatures are reached, the ZDDP in the oil forms a layer of protection on certain engine parts. There can be too much which actually causes damage, the opposite of what many old farts claim. I'd have to look back at my notes and stuff but it would appear you have decent levels there and indications are you may be getting that protective layer built up. It's more of a "feeling" than something I can point out on a whiteboard.
I guess I'm suggesting - looking decent, don't add crap to the oil LOL

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
I look at these numbers as it's an indication of not just "wear" vs. "Abnormal wear", but how well the engine is being managed (fuel) and lack of any leaks such as head gaskets, cracks and so on, and the lack of water says there's likely no extreme condensation - it's warming up and keeping water out of the crankcase. The flashpoint states no fuel contamination and it's a decent oil with a high temperature tolerance.

Jeep Gladiator XXXXX Mile Oil Analysis 1674661407389

The zinc and phosphorus I'm still getting my head wrapped around as far as when seen in oil analysis, but if my ducks are lining up, as time passes and the correct combinations of pressures and temperatures are reached, the ZDDP in the oil forms a layer of protection on certain engine parts. There can be too much which actually causes damage, the opposite of what many old farts claim. I'd have to look back at my notes and stuff but it would appear you have decent levels there and indications are you may be getting that protective layer built up. It's more of a "feeling" than something I can point out on a whiteboard.
I guess I'm suggesting - looking decent, don't add crap to the oil LOL
I've never been one to add snake oils to my critical fluids, especially not a new vehicle like this.

I was going to consider going to 10k on oil changes, but for now more than I drive this one, I think I'll just stick with the 5k plan.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've never been one to add snake oils to my critical fluids, especially not a new vehicle like this.

I was going to consider going to 10k on oil changes, but for now more than I drive this one, I think I'll just stick with the 5k plan.
YOU choose based on how and where you drive it, and your own comfort levels. Yes you could easily go out longer on the changes - but it's your truck.
I did the first on this '22 at under 2,000 miles, the next one was around 7K - based on trips, and more. The recent change had a lot of highway miles, easy miles. The first I figured get 'er done before taking off on a cross-country trip and get that initial oil out before that trip.

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
15,000 - Still looking good.

Jeep Gladiator XXXXX Mile Oil Analysis 15000 report
How long does the process take? I’ve never had an analysis done, but at 22,380 on my 3.0…I don’t figure it will hurt. I still have 89% remaining, so I may wait a bit to do the change and take a sample.

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
How long does the process take? I’ve never had an analysis done, but at 22,380 on my 3.0…I don’t figure it will hurt. I still have 89% remaining, so I may wait a bit to do the change and take a sample.
It was about 3 weeks.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
It was about 3 weeks.
If you lived in Calgary, you’d have your lab test in 24 hours. It’s too bad you have to mail yours away. Are there no other labs besides Blackstone that operate in large city centres you can drive to and drop off?

Edmonton has 2 labs and can get samples shipped in a day there.

Last edited:

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
15,000 - Still looking good.

15000 report.jpg
FWIW, in a prior life (I'm retired now) I was a Certified Level 2 Oil Analyst and ran my own analysis lab. Admittedly, my clients were industrial and as such we did not deal with oils that had the same add packs nor the risk of fuel/coolant/combustion contaminants but the premise is still the same.

As you've now done a few oil changes and a few oil analyses, you could make a reliability-based decision to perform an oil analysis only every 5000 miles (at least that's what I would do but you could go 3000 miles if not comfortable) and only change the oil when the indicators of the analysis indicate unfavorable viscosity changes, excessive wear particles, ingress of contaminants, breakdown of add pack, etc.

I had a 350Z when I was running the lab and had fun doing this. I would pull samples at 1000 miles and then base my oil changes on the same advice I would give clients. Interestingly enough, on that car and it's use case, it worked out to essentially every 5000 miles that I was changing the oil...LOL.
Sponsored