Sponsored

JT a sales failure & doomed to same fate as the Scrambler?

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
The lowly 3.6 we're all complaining about would have been a firebreather 25-30 years ago

Absolutely! I remember getting a used 95 mustang gt when I was in my 20's. Had the 5.0 fuel injected motor with 210 horsepower. The 3.6 is lighter, more powerful and more fuel efficient. It's really a great motor. Hopefully the next one can be even better.
Sponsored

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Florida here. Get JTs on the lot and they will sell. 23s just started hitting lots. Been nothing for months as 22 inventory is long gone. I like many here would not have been a JL buyer. Need a bed. So sadly i would have gone the taco route if there was not a JT. I would love to see the JT v JL gender comparison. Around me JLU are mostly ladies. JT are 100% men. Might be very local or a national trend.
Makes perfect sense! What you have to realize is that Men truly like the Bed. Sure, every once in a while you'll find a lady that likes the bed as much as you do, however most women just pretend to like the bed until they get a reserved spot in your driveway. Then one day you wake up in the bed.... alone in the garage. lol

shawnebell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB, CJ5, CJ7, CJ8, M109, M38, TJ, JK
Well, to throw in my couple of cents:

The number of JTs produced all sell. Same with the JL and JLUs.

The "tale of the tape" isn't how many they sold - they will sell all of them - it's a key number you'll find on dealership ledgers: Aged Inventory. The longer the vehicle stays on a dealer lot, the more it costs in flooring (all dealer inventory stocked is usually financed; Ally usually finances FCA/Stellantis dealers). After awhile - I forget exactly how many days/months - the unit is no longer financed by Ally, it becomes the property of the dealer and they are "stuck" with it and have to get rid of it.

I was at a dealership that absolutely SUCKED at inventory control, and found two Dodge Darts and a Chrysler 200 that hadn't been inventoried and weren't on the books (this was after the models had been discontinued, and there were no incentives available or that could be applied to them). These units had become property of the dealership and were virtually unsaleable because the dealership was so deep into them.

What you'll find on the Aged Inventory list is that JLs languish the longest - which is why you won't find many of the 2-doors on lots; in good years they only amount to about 10% of all Wrangler sales - JLUs next (Saharas don't sell as well, and they usually have the best incentives and longest time on the lots), and finally JTs. As much as people want to say they don't sell, they have the biggest margins and make the most money for the dealership and FCA/Stellantis.

The trucks sell. They make the most money (which, of course, means you can usually get the best deals on them), and they retain their value.

Jeep knows what they're doing.

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
I'm not hating on the engine for those that got salty but this engine in old as F and needs to be replaced . I have no desire for the 4xe ad I hear they are nothing but a nightmare . More torque would be nice though and a updated interior ....that Ram 1500 media screen is nice

Sponsored

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
I admit the mini van engine isnt a stump puller but hell no on a turbo 4. I couldnt swallow the fear i have of def manged diesel so mini van v6 for me. If they could squeeze 392 into the wrangler it should be doable for the gladiator. Im a no on the new hurricane if they offer it. Heat soak in fl is a real thing.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
Honestly, Iā€™ve always thought of the Gladiator as a bit of a niche vehicle. Iā€™m a Wrangler guy with too much crap and the need to carry bikes and occasionally building materials. If I just needed a pickup, I would probably buy a full size of some kind or a Yota if theyā€™d update the damn thing sometime this decade.

As someone solidly in the pro-Gladiator camp (I love this vehicle more than anything Iā€™ve ever owned), this isnā€™t a good thing for its long term prospects. I sincerely hope my opinion is an outlier. Thatā€™s the irony. People like me want these to be what they are with all the ā€œquirks and featuresā€ they have, but we need them to have mass cross shopper appeal so they keep making them. This is why Iā€™m glad they improved the liveability and fit and finish of the JL over the JT.

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Yeah, I saw this in my YouTube recommended videos last night when he posted it.

I fail to see how simply because the buyer at his local Jeep dealer overstocked with way too many units for their lot & local market at the end of last year, this dictates that the Gladiator is a sales failure, & doomed over the whole country. I'd say that only indicates that dealer's inventory buyer screwed up.

Typical click bait bullshit from this guy on YouTube.

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Florida here. Get JTs on the lot and they will sell. 23s just started hitting lots. Been nothing for months as 22 inventory is long gone. I like many here would not have been a JL buyer. Need a bed. So sadly i would have gone the taco route if there was not a JT. I would love to see the JT v JL gender comparison. Around me JLU are mostly ladies. JT are 100% men. Might be very local or a national trend.
What part of Florida are you in? Without fail, every time my wife and I have gone to a Jeep meetup or event, there's at least one lesbian couple with a Gladiator.

. . . I guess that more or less jives with your statement though . . .

J-GriffsGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Geologist
I can only speak for myself but I don't feel niche. If the Gladiator didn't exist I would be driving a Ford F150 OR Ranger (and be miserable doing so. 1 is too small, 1 is too big. Neither are "fun" or "inspiring"). I want a 2 door JL, but with trailers (work and a camper), 2 labs, 2 kids... it just isn't feasible (and neither would the JLU). I've got to have more room and towing capacity so here's to hoping the Gladiator makes it. Preferably in an extended cab version with a 6' bed on the next generation. With the same/similar power plant. If I wanted some v8 5.7 Tundra, I would have bought it. Again, maybe I am a real unicorn but I kinda doubt it (couple of my HS best friends also have Gladiators - same 'young active family' demographic). Most of my other friends drive a Tacoma OR Chevy Colorado ZR2s. Jeep is right there competing. I have no complaints about my Glad.

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
If the JT only came with the 3.6 I wouldn't be driving one. Not sure why anyone would settle for "adequate" especially at the price point if these rigs. You can make any excuse you want why you don't need that extra power but they're just obvious excuses lol
The ONLY reason I bought mine was due to rebates and sale price bringing it under $40k (back in Jan 2020) for $45k MSRP Sport S, for that price I felt the 3.6 was acceptable.

My parents picked up a launch edition and I still question at launch how a $25k bump in price didn't include a more powerful engine. Both were still good buys at the time with inflation and whatnot, but prices have become INSANE for new JLs and JTs anymore.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
This is the same guy who preached doom and gloom for Stellantis in Q4.

How did that work? šŸ¤£
It got people to watch his video and talk about it...

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Meh, does not bother me one way or another. The FJ Cruiser was discontinued some say too early. Sales we never outstanding. And now it is a niche wanted vehicle. Our 2011 currently will sell for more than what we bought it for 12 years ago. I have people walk up to me and ask if I want to sell it since there is not a scratch on the body and never had an issue with it.

So what if they discontinue the Gladiator at some point? You will own a piece of history and eventually a collector vehicle. Plus you will never have a parts problem due to the interchangeability with the Wrangler. Best of all worlds.

Digster

First Name
Diggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Collector
Hundreds of new 2022ā€™s still for sale in Northern New England - local dealer offering 5k off every 22 in stock - sales are weak.

I like my 80th Anniversary, but with the lease expiring I wonā€™t buy it for 35k - thatā€™s too much.

WYOutside

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 1971 Jeep CJ6
Occupation
Gunsmith
I like niche vehicles and could really care less what sells well and how much of a success it is for people I do not know. I own a ā€˜21 JT Mojave and was the first in my rural Wyoming town, all towns are rural here I reckon. I think we are up to about 6 or 7 JT owners here now and itā€™s pretty neat, although I still donā€™t do the Jeep wave with them. I own a ā€˜71 CJ6 and there is surprisingly one other in my town and I find that neat and I wave at that fella and all other ā€œrealā€ Jeeps when I drive my 6. I have a wave issue, I know. I get much joy outta my odd vehicles and those are only two of the 6 I have that are relevant to this forum. Drive what you like and have fun with it while you can. Who knows, maybe in another 52 years our ā€œsoon to be discontinuedā€ JTā€™s will be as neat as my 52 year old CJ6 is currently to other Jeep people. ā€œDid you stretch itā€ nope, came that way šŸ˜‰.
Sponsored