First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Agree, it would be expensive but I just can't with that HUMMER vertical pipe snorkel, it looks homemade as it is. I'm guessing/hoping RR will figure this out.
There are not enough diesels out there to make it worth while for Rugged Ridges to do. Perhaps there was a time before they were consumed by Truck Hero as the big corp attitude has made things very different there. There are also few people who opt to spend the money for a snorkel. That is why Hauks system is so much more expensive than the RR kit. Funny thing most of the snorkels I see installed on jeeps are on mall crawlers and never see the dirt, they just think they are the cool thing to install.

I have connections with RR management and there are no plans to do a diesel version of their snorkel although looking at both RR and Hauk, that would be simple for them to do keeping most of the 3.6 parts which are the most expensive like the snorkel and the mount on the right cowl.

I have to agree that the Hauks snorkel on the cowl looks really stupid and cheap.

I actually bought the complete RR snorkel kit when I ordered my Jeep not knowing that it would not work and before they put the disclaimer on their website that it would not. Unfortunately from the time I ordered and the time I got my JTRD it was too late to return but I got crazy low ball offers so decided to keep until I get my next JT in 2024 when they come out with the twin tubro 6cy with plug in hybrid with crazy 500hp 600+lb ft of torqe which put put any 392 down.

Now I just might buy the Hauk system and mate it to the RR kit now as it's not going to cost me any more to do so. Better than selling my RR to someone for $100
Sponsored

Last edited:

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I guess there would be something to that. The air would heat up, but I think not as much as you might think.

One of the main reasons we use snorkels in Aus (other than water fording) is to get the air intake up and above the dust when following other vehicles.
I can see it for water fording but then again, if you are in water deep enough to swap a low snorkel like the Hauk or the RR low mount, then you would be screwed anyway. Best protection would be for a rear snorkel for the exhaust like military vehicle have because if you suck water in thru the tail pipe, good bye engine.

As for dust, We had a group of 12 Jeeps on the 2900 mile Heart of the West Trail. as trip leader I could see the dust behind me in place so thick that visibility was zero up to 20 ft in the air. Even a tall snorkel would not help that.

I was driving my JKUR with the RR snorkel using the low snorkel and not the tall one. Even though I was in the front, the dust coming up from the front tires in places made visibility even on the sides terrible.

At night we would pull our air filters to either replace or blow clean of dust. Everyone behind me, even the few with snorkels had a huge amount of dust on their filters. My cabin air filter had to be cleaned several times and in the dust, I could see dust coming in the Jeep. But I had none on my engine air filter (used a K&N so dust would have shown up more). I mentioned that to an engineer at RR and he said that the Jeeps aerodynamics created sort of a vacuum there where clean air exists and the dust not so much. Made sense to me as to why my air filter was clean every day. Ever since then on the JK, I've kept the tall snorkel hanging in the garage and have not installed again.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I can see it for water fording but then again, if you are in water deep enough to swap a low snorkel like the Hauk or the RR low mount, then you would be screwed anyway.
I think it's would help for relatively "cheap" insurance vs needing a whole new engine if the water was just a little deeper than you expected. Sure, you might have some other issues if that happens (might) but it's still better than having other issues AND a hydrolocked engine.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Two things going against the Hauk snorkel. In Pa. it would be illegal because of it's placement. It block the view out of the windshield on the right side. The other issue is heat soak. With all that piping under the hood. When going slow. Engine heat will soak into the piping, driving your IAT up. If it goes up high enough. The ECU will cut back on power.

Would like to see something like a mirrored system of the Mopar system.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Two things going against the Hauk snorkel. In Pa. it would be illegal because of it's placement. It block the view out of the windshield on the right side. The other issue is heat soak. With all that piping under the hood. When going slow. Engine heat will soak into the piping, driving your IAT up. If it goes up high enough. The ECU will cut back on power.

Would like to see something like a mirrored system of the Mopar system.
I forgot about PA and their crazy inspection and DOT rules for off road (I'm from PA but moved to a more free state, AZ 20 years ago. I go back every year and get all kinds of stares from PDs trying to figure out if they should stop me for my uncovered light bars or my tires sticking out from the fender flares, etc.

The Mopar snorkel (gas engines only) is about the same as the AEV snorkel which requires cutting out the side of the hood? I personally don't like the design (it just doesn't look as clean as the RR design and it hides my Rubicon decal)but i get the idea of keeping everything out of the engine bay. I'm still thinking about mating the Hauk to the Rugged Ridge or just putting the top of a RR snorkel instead of that goofy flying saucer they have.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like all Mojave and Diesel owners are SOL for now.
Wait there's diesel mojave's? I knew i wasn't tripping cause I saw one of them on a lot but I thought it was some factory typo until I popped the hood on one and surprise surprise it was a diesel mojave

Giersz

First Name
Wojciech
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Launch Edition EcoDiesel
No mojave Diesel but there are Diesel with Mojave hood.

Mojave got different hood - it is not only different hood style but it is higher mounted. This means that Snorkels like Rugged Ridge will not fit Mojave hood. Same is with light bar mounts, cowl lights mounts etc...

All European Diesel Gladiators got Mojave hood design. This means that EU people got a lot of problems getting anything for their Gladiators.

Below - my EcoDiesel Overland (from factory: Mojave hood + Low fenders +Front parking sensors + Selec Trac Full Time 4WD)

Jeep Gladiator JT Diesel Snorkel Mojave hood

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I'LL keep my Rubicon hood. Euro Jeeps get steel hoods not aluminum. Wonder why?

Last edited:

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Jeep Gladiator JT Diesel Snorkel IMG_1644.JPG

Hauk Offroad Snorkel
That doesn't look that bad, I kind of like it.

I talked to the product development person from Jeep at the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab this week. There are no plans to develop a snorkel for the diesel due to low production numbers.

I don't think they make their own anyway, pretty sure it's AEV.

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
That Hauk snorkel looks really good to Mr. Functional yet not super flashy/aero drag as most. Mine only concern before purchasing is the long intake run above the back of the engine and how much that raises air temps. Plus is it catching hot air escaping the hood vents at low speed.