Sponsored

JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available!

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Cool thank you - I see that some have discussed struts with higher pressures. I may look into that but I expect that also makes it harder to close when unloaded. Appreciate the thoughts thanks!
The stronger struts I used are not too hard to close, and I'm not the biggest guy. I think if you want to have heavy stuff on top of the UD and have the struts hold it open, you need to research locking struts. Get the right pressure to just assist with opening it and then lock them in place to actually support the weight.
Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
Alright, I order these 100lbs struts off of Amazon and they are a direct replacement for the struts that ACE includes with the UD. They make the UD stay open much better and I no longer worry about reaching through the side and the thing slamming down on my arm. The UD is still easy enough to open as well.

I don't think they are going to hold it open with a RTT on it though. My son weighs 80lbs and if he sat on the RTT mount closest to the cab, the UD would stay open. If you tried to move to the rear RTT mount, it would close rather quickly.

If you are going to put a RTT on the UD you will either have to have much stronger struts (which will have to be longer) or get some 100lbs struts that actually lock open. The latter might be best as the struts will help lift the weight and them you can lock them. I'm not planning on running a RTT on mine (I've got an off road trailer) so I do not plan to search for some locking struts.
Do you have a better link for those struts? I get an error when I click on it.

Thanks!

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
My tip is to replace them with some real hinges.

UpperDeckerIssue-4.jpg

UpperDeckerIssue-5.jpg

UpperDeckerIssue-7.jpg

UpperDeckerIssue-8.jpg

UpperDeckerIssue-9.jpg

UpperDeckerIssue-10.jpg

ACE did send my new hardware and seals when I asked for them.
This is exactly what I have been thinking about. I know it holds 1200lbs static but if you see the dinky (I mean DINKY M4 button head screws that are about 3/16 thick and 3/4 inch long) screws holding on the hinges, plus the hinge design with 2 cylinders holding the pin - not three cylinders holding the pin like the pictures above) you will quickly realize that any real torque on those hinges and you are screwed. I just picked up @Pat2Alaska's upperdecker and he VERY KINDLY helped me install it. 2 adults and my 12 year old son, plus @Pat2Alaska's previous experience AND his very cool ceiling mounted wireless electric hoist (I am jealous) and it took 3 hrs flat.

I will be upgrading the hinges first, then the latches, then going to 100lb struts, and I'm thinking about adding a centerline L track. Then I will reinstall my side trail rails without the end cap (saw that with some washers you can keep the end cap but threading the strut bolt through the rear light receptacle was a PITA so I will live without it).

I expect never to carry more than a couple of hundred pounds dynamically (certainly not an ATV..hahaha to whoever asked about load ramps) but having such a versatile flat load space for bulky stuff all way keeping valuables in a fully enclosed 99% weather proof interior storage is what makes this JT all the better as a compromise between an SUV and a traditional pickup.

Pat2Alaska had the right idea and had his bedlined for weather protection. It adds a lot of weight so heavier duty struts are on order already. @ACE Engineering should offer bedliner as a factory option b/c so much easier to apply to bare steel when new. I also think @ACE Engineering should consider heavier duty struts because the added weight means it will be easier to close (i think this bedlined version with the tent bars is well over 200Lbs). I totally get it that they can't offer struts that will lift a RTT because when that weight is OFF the upper decker would be impossible to close short of standing on it (que the lawsuits from people falling off while trying to close one.... arrggghhh).

No fancy photos yet but here is what I have so far. @Pat2Alaska is the MAN and such a nice and knowledgeable guy! Plus he was so cool to my son and had him helping out and everything. Thanks PAT!!!

PS for size reference the middle picture has 2 65L backpacks (training with my daughter for Philmont) and the bottom picture has the largest size Husky mobile tool box (37 inch model).

The single best benefit (for some of you) about getting an upper decker will be that if you are the kind of jeeper that adds front spacers to even out your stance the upper decker will do that for you without the spacers.

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 20210327_175537
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 20210328_151734
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 20210328_170755

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
This is exactly what I have been thinking about. I know it holds 1200lbs static but if you see the dinky (I mean DINKY M4 button head screws that are about 3/16 thick and 3/4 inch long) screws holding on the hinges, plus the hinge design with 2 cylinders holding the pin - not three cylinders holding the pin like the pictures above) you will quickly realize that any real torque on those hinges and you are screwed. I just picked up @Pat2Alaska's upperdecker and he VERY KINDLY helped me install it. 2 adults and my 12 year old son, plus @Pat2Alaska's previous experience AND his very cool ceiling mounted wireless electric hoist (I am jealous) and it took 3 hrs flat.

I will be upgrading the hinges first, then the latches, then going to 100lb struts, and I'm thinking about adding a centerline L track. Then I will reinstall my side trail rails without the end cap (saw that with some washers you can keep the end cap but threading the strut bolt through the rear light receptacle was a PITA so I will live without it).

I expect never to carry more than a couple of hundred pounds dynamically (certainly not an ATV..hahaha to whoever asked about load ramps) but having such a versatile flat load space for bulky stuff all way keeping valuables in a fully enclosed 99% weather proof interior storage is what makes this JT all the better as a compromise between an SUV and a traditional pickup.

Pat2Alaska had the right idea and had his bedlined for weather protection. It adds a lot of weight so heavier duty struts are on order already. @ACE Engineering should offer bedliner as a factory option b/c so much easier to apply to bare steel when new. I also think @ACE Engineering should consider heavier duty struts because the added weight means it will be easier to close (i think this bedlined version with the tent bars is well over 200Lbs). I totally get it that they can't offer struts that will lift a RTT because when that weight is OFF the upper decker would be impossible to close short of standing on it (que the lawsuits from people falling off while trying to close one.... arrggghhh).

No fancy photos yet but here is what I have so far. @Pat2Alaska is the MAN and such a nice and knowledgeable guy! Plus he was so cool to my son and had him helping out and everything. Thanks PAT!!!

PS for size reference the middle picture has 2 65L backpacks (training with my daughter for Philmont) and the bottom picture has the largest size Husky mobile tool box (37 inch model).

The single best benefit (for some of you) about getting an upper decker will be that if you are the kind of jeeper that adds front spacers to even out your stance the upper decker will do that for you without the spacers.

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 20210328_170755
I really enjoyed working with you and your son to install it on your rig! Thanks for coming down! Even though we were pretty busy, I captured this after photo!
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 4BEFF952-C608-4C61-854D-B037A738ABA1

Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Like I said before, despite the few small drawbacks, I think this is one of the best bed solutions for our trucks. Been very versatile on my end. Still have a few thing I wish to attach and finish the look I have going. If @ACE Engineering follows through with just some of the suggestions, it would be a top product in my book. Still turn heads and get compliments on my end. I think I need that 3/4" rear daystar spacer tho...
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 20210328_004413

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I really enjoyed working with you and your son to install it on your rig! Thanks for coming down! Even though we were pretty busy, I captured this after photo!
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 20210328_004413
Thanks Pat - your garage was awesome!

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Like I said before, despite the few small drawbacks, I think this is one of the best bed solutions for our trucks. Been very versatile on my end. Still have a few thing I wish to attach and finish the look I have going. If @ACE Engineering follows through with just some of the suggestions, it would be a top product in my book. Still turn heads and get compliments on my end. I think I need that 3/4" rear daystar spacer tho...
I agree - for those who can live with an inflexible tonneau cover the upper decker is awesome. Everything about the way they designed the basket is perfect - I just wish I had understood the need for much beefier hinges and latches before drilling a bunch of holes in my bed. If you install using the supplier hardware you quickly realize that the upper decker is not held by much and any significant sideways loads are likely shift the upper decker while on the road. Granted you are putting hinges into the thin sheet steel of the bedside up next to the cab. I'm thinking about a 3/16 inch think strip of mild steel 1 to 1.5 inches wide and held on by clamping force with thru bolts will anchor the bed and the hinge in a much stronger way... no welding. Plus stronger latches.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Regarding heavier duty struts:

I have a set of the 100lb versions on order - looks like they are an exact match. I'll post photos as soon as I have them.

https://www.amazon.com/ARANA-Universal-Supports-Spring-Cabinet/dp/B07K8DLPK2
OK I'm going a bit nuts here but I have a plan to install a small brace to the underside about half way down to provide additional safety on any side slipage - a 9 inch piece of 1 inch mild steel square tube should do the trick. Ii'm going to anchor stronger hinges with a piece of barstock behind the bed (think a long washer made of mild steel - 48 inches long, 1.5 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick that the hinge bolts will go into and clamp all of that - will be using 3 hinges and replacing the pins with bolts so in the future if I have to take it off all I do is remove the hinge pins). I also ordered some L track for the upper surface, fork mounts for a bike, and stronger latches (not as trick as Ace's solution) but definitely more clamping force. I also found an el cheapo 4 sheave manual hoist that will do the trick for lifting the deck onto sawhorses while I work although I'm tempted to jerry rig the winch on my rover just for the cool picture. I will get all that up here in the next couple of weeks. I hope. : ) But gives me and the boy a fun project(s)!

@ACE Engineering hey i left my contact info on your webpage. Would love to chat for a couple of mins with one of your engineers

Sponsored

OP
OP
ACE Engineering

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK-8
OK I'm going a bit nuts here but I have a plan to install a small brace to the underside about half way down to provide additional safety on any side slipage - a 9 inch piece of 1 inch mild steel square tube should do the trick. Ii'm going to anchor stronger hinges with a piece of barstock behind the bed (think a long washer made of mild steel - 48 inches long, 1.5 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick that the hinge bolts will go into and clamp all of that - will be using 3 hinges and replacing the pins with bolts so in the future if I have to take it off all I do is remove the hinge pins). I also ordered some L track for the upper surface, fork mounts for a bike, and stronger latches (not as trick as Ace's solution) but definitely more clamping force. I also found an el cheapo 4 sheave manual hoist that will do the trick for lifting the deck onto sawhorses while I work although I'm tempted to jerry rig the winch on my rover just for the cool picture. I will get all that up here in the next couple of weeks. I hope. : ) But gives me and the boy a fun project(s)!

@ACE Engineering hey i left my contact info on your webpage. Would love to chat for a couple of mins with one of your engineers
Sorry, we have some employees out sick right now so it's possible the email was missed. Best bet this week is to email [email protected] or give the shop a call at 586-785-3939.

Thank you,

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sorry, we have some employees out sick right now so it's possible the email was missed. Best bet this week is to email [email protected] or give the shop a call at 586-785-3939.

Thank you,
Thanks - I spoke to someone very helpful today and got all my questions answered. So nice to take to someone who really knows the product and what it can do and what it was designed to do. Amazon is delivering all kinds of stuff to me and i will take pictures and post. I don't do videos and I don't have a brand but at least it will be clear what I'm trying to solve for.

Thanks @ACE Engineering

Eherbaugh

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired USCG
Thanks - I spoke to someone very helpful today and got all my questions answered. So nice to take to someone who really knows the product and what it can do and what it was designed to do. Amazon is delivering all kinds of stuff to me and i will take pictures and post. I don't do videos and I don't have a brand but at least it will be clear what I'm trying to solve for.

Thanks @ACE Engineering
Looking forward to see what you have done. Still trying to decide if I should go this route

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looking forward to see what you have done. Still trying to decide if I should go this route
The more I use it the more I love it. I have assembled all the parts. Now I just need about 48 hrs of uninterrupted time... yeah right.

Eherbaugh

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired USCG
The more I use it the more I love it. I have assembled all the parts. Now I just need about 48 hrs of uninterrupted time... yeah right.
looking forward to pics.
Sponsored