KC FLex Era 4 install with Aux Switch

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Recently bought the KC Flex Era 4 and would like to install them on either the factory aux switch or the separate Vox switch panel that I have installed. I know how to cut the KC wiring to remove the portion I don't need but in the accompanying documentation, it mentions a 40A fuse while the vox switch has max of 30 and I believe the same for factory aux switch. Is it going to be an issue with either the VOX and factory switches since the amps are different?
Sponsored

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
it mentions a 40A fuse while the vox switch has max of 30 and I believe the same for factory aux switch.
Unless it changed, factory has two 40A and two 15A fuses.

Is it going to be an issue with either the VOX and factory switches since the amps are different?
Fuses protect wires. "Amps being different" becomes an issue when you use a wire gauge size that isn't rated for the fuse size (i.e. too small). The idea is that if the accessory draws too much power, it will blow the fuse first before the wire melts and/or catches fire. The factory aux wiring for the 40A switch will be able to handle the lights if that's what KC rates the kit at. If the VOX has a max of 30A, then it may blow the fuse. You'd have to run a relay and get power directly from the battery for that option.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The lights use way less than 40 amps. I have them and have them hooked up to Aux 1. It works perfectly. I removed the KC switch, but left their inline fuse. I wired the amber marker lights to a separate aux switch. It’s a waste of an aux switch, but I didn’t need the fourth one. I’ll change it if I ever do.

OP
OP
rezar1

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks!
For the amber, which Aux switch did you use?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Check the package for how many amps it actually pulls. My KC gravity pro 6 leds only draw like 5 amps but came with a 40 amp wiring relay.

Sponsored

Mash5

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Diesel SportS Gladiator, VW eGolf, Mazda3
2 lights at 6.7 amps would be 13.4 Amps. Any of your Aux circuits should work for the lights. I would go with one of the smaller circuits and save the bigger ones for something that may need more. I would still run a fuse after you tie in that is whatever came with the harness, as it should be sized correctly to protect the wire run.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!
For the amber, which Aux switch did you use?
Aux 2, which is way overkill, but 3 and 4 were already wired to aux reverse lights and a winch solenoid, and I wasn’t using it. If I decide to use it in the future, I’ll wire the amber to the daytime running light circuit.

ZombieCannon

First Name
Zo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Yamaha WR250R
I have the same lights wired to the factory aux switches. I use the yellow running lights on "Aux 3" then run the main white lights to "Aux 1". I went into the Uconnect settings and then made aux switch 3 start with the vehicle and turn off with it. so far works great. The lights are incredibly bright and super useful

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same lights wired to the factory aux switches. I use the yellow running lights on "Aux 3" then run the main white lights to "Aux 1". I went into the Uconnect settings and then made aux switch 3 start with the vehicle and turn off with it. so far works great. The lights are incredibly bright and super useful
Exactly how I’m doing it. I like being able to turn off even the ambers, as I usually use the black and yellow off road covers when on trails during the day.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rezar1

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks, did you keep the fuse or did you remove it. Based on recommendation in this thread, I am planning on keeping the 40a fuse.

ZombieCannon

First Name
Zo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Yamaha WR250R
I opted with removing the fuse because the factory aux power supply has fuses located in the aux fuse box. This is the video I used to figure out how to do it properly.

timestamped for your pleasure

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
Used Aux 2, trimmed out the KC switch, and added the BadgeGlow board to make it even easier.
And I totally forgot about the running lights. I guess I have a weekend project ahead.
Jeep Gladiator KC FLex Era 4 install with Aux Switch F4CDD7AD-BB1B-4368-B2AD-B2D9792CCC52
Sponsored