Sponsored

Knock off Rubicon metal bumper?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the Rubicon knock off metal bumpers? I see them on eBay for around $400. They look good in the pictures. Thanks.
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the Rubicon knock off metal bumpers? I see them on eBay for around $400. They look good in the pictures. Thanks.
I asked about this not to long ago and think recall some saying that they are not well made

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I read through nearly 18 pages of posts on this exact item in the Wrangler side of the forums and people are pretty happy with them, some saying only the finish was different but the quality appeared to match the Jeep branded versions. Some suggesting that these aren't so much "knock-offs" as they are bumpers made in the same place but for a European market.
I have yet to read any post in that huge thread "over there" where anyone was unhappy other than shipping damage (which the seller apparently makes up for) or these being painted and not the best finish (some say small spots of surface rust have started - but some also say they plan on refinishing them anyway)
They claim the weight it about the same as the Jeep branded version.

Anyway, in summary, I saw no one saying it was badly made or lighter material or they felt they made a mistake.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I read through nearly 18 pages of posts on this exact item in the Wrangler side of the forums and people are pretty happy with them, some saying only the finish was different but the quality appeared to match the Jeep branded versions. Some suggesting that these aren't so much "knock-offs" as they are bumpers made in the same place but for a European market.
I have yet to read any post in that huge thread "over there" where anyone was unhappy other than shipping damage (which the seller apparently makes up for) or these being painted and not the best finish (some say small spots of surface rust have started - but some also say they plan on refinishing them anyway)
They claim the weight it about the same as the Jeep branded version.

Anyway, in summary, I saw no one saying it was badly made or lighter material or they felt they made a mistake.
Thanks for the info good to know down the line when I can start buying stuff again. I really like the Mopar Steel Short Bumper look just don't want to pay the Mopar price (LOL). But I am also liking the Arcus on as well

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info good to know down the line when I can start buying stuff again. I really like the Mopar Steel Short Bumper look just don't want to pay the Mopar price (LOL). But I am also liking the Arcus on as well
I personally like the look of the Jeep stock bumpers (especially the steel Rubicon bumper) but IF I were to go after-market, the Arcus bumper is something I would look at. Some members have their bumpers and like them and they do look good.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Not addressing your question but I would avoid it. Seems too likely to be infringing on Jeep's design patent for the bumper, and that is stealing American workers' money

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not addressing your question but I would avoid it. Seems too likely to be infringing on Jeep's design patent for the bumper, and that is stealing American workers' money
We really don't know any of this, do we?

Here's my take - if it was, trust me, Jeep/Chrysler/FCA would be sending cease and desist letters already. If there was any legal issue they could pursue, they would.
How do I know this?
Because two friends have been threatened by them over - get this - DECALS and battery toppers! Yes, pieces of plastic with the AMC name and logo that fit over batteries to make them look like 1968 batteries. And decals that go under the hoods of cars - with the logos.
Interesting that they go after an individual who may make a few hundred dollars a year - and not go after someone ripping them off making thousands or more?
Frankly, we don't know anything about the source of these.
Besides, it appears to have been determined that the Jeep bumpers, as many after-market bumpers, are actually themselves made in China - or has that been proven otherwise that the bumpers Jeep installs are in fact made 100% in the USA - not "assembled in the USA" but manufactured in the USA.

I see this argument went on for a couple of pages over in the other area - and ended with folks agreeing to disagree.

We have no idea, no facts, not a clue about who made these, how they got the plans or even the die to make them, but they appear to be made as pretty exact matches, with only the finish differing for the most part.
Do we know that the seller didn't buy out a batch of European market bumpers that were sold as surplus? Perhaps with an incorrect finish? (because the finish on these is a bit smoother)

I can't say how or where these came to be - whether they are legally purchased or otherwise. No one can.
I can "suggest" (strongly) that if Jeep had an issue with this, they'd be shut down fast. Yes, the mother ship watches this stuff. You know they do, or at least I know they do - because they shut down a couple of small time individuals selling items with a logo that Chrysler owned the rights to. How the heck did they know about those decals and battery toppers since they only sold through forums like I operate, at swap meets, or through a small web site?

Anyway, that's my take, some of my thoughts on it - we have no clue, anyone would only be guessing - and they could be right - or just as easily wrong.

Quality and fit-wise, the jury has returned a verdict of - they are fine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was quoted 1500 for the Rubicon steel bumper by a dealer. REALLY? 1500 for the bumper?
Granted, he said that was a "bumper kit" and included "fog lights". (which I sure don't need!)

I'm looking for a Rubicon steel bumper take-off but I know I'll never find one, and even past sale ads indicate no shipping so it would mean a drive to NC or TX or CO or AZ - which would put me over the $1500 mark LOL

1500 for a freakin bumper - I can see why those eBay ones sell like hotcakes.

Sponsored

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If “Jeep” or who ever they are this week really wanted to go after people with the same design of bumper they would have shut DV8 down also.
https://dv8offroad.com/collections/...jl-modular-front-bumper-with-bull-bar-fbjl-10
Wow, I like that.

Anyway, here's another reason the ebay bumper isn't necessarily costing any "Americans jobs" -
Jeep sells theirs for about 1500 complete.
I've yet to see more than one or two actually buy those at that price. People are buying take-offs, OR, after-market bumpers.
So Jeep isn't really selling any Rubicon Steel bumpers other than on Jeeps from the factory anyway.
People are going after-market from other companies for a lot of reasons. They either want a different bumper or won't pay the 1500 (even if it was 1,000 plus winch plate!)
So what is Jeep losing? This could simply be considered yet another after-market bumper.
If people were flocking to the Jeep bumper - perhaps at $600 and then along comes an identical bumper at 500, that might be different, but who is actually buying the Jeep bumper at 1000-1500 and then spending money on a winch plate?
Hardly anyone. So - what's Jeep losing?
Plus - these are being sold from multiple locations in the US - likely American citizens selling and shipping them. So it's just a swap of who is selling. Most bumpers are made in China anyway, even those stubby after-market bumpers.
Here's my take - I want something that looks just like the original Jeep bumper.
But I'm not going to pay 1500 for one then have to buy a winch plate too.
So I'll buy a take-off or something else. Jeep won't be losing my business because of these ebay bumpers, they never had it. Not at their price. I'll do without, first. So - no business lost.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Robmotive on Youtube just unboxed one of these, it looked pretty good coming out of the box. Waiting on his install video to see if it installs without issue and how it looks.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Robmotive on Youtube just unboxed one of these, it looked pretty good coming out of the box. Waiting on his install video to see if it installs without issue and how it looks.
There's a good post on the Wrangler side showing how a guy laid everything out, how the brackets install, how he transferred his own LED lights to the bumper (instead of using what it comes with)
And if the foglight bezels are damaged, the stock replacements WORK in these bumpers!
The bezels and ends from vendors or even Jeep fit onto those bumpers. A couple of people had their bumpers arrive with scratched or dinged plastic parts - the bezels, etc. and ordered new ones although the seller will replace them if you write to them and show pictures of the damage. One guy said the seller gave him a $40 credit so he simply went online and ordered them - about 16 bucks each.

Reactions: Mac

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
The one Rob unboxed even came with the winch plate.
Sponsored