First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Still waiting for axle assembly to show up. They said 5 business days from last Thursday. They said two day install...

Noticed some small fluid in the front now. Is this pretty common, to have axle leak in the front axles, hope not.
I'm confused. Are they replacing the entire differential/axle housing assembly? I wonder why. On mine and most others here they just replaced the axle shaft which has a new seal and bearing on it. A 1-2 hour job at most.
Sponsored

Bumpy Ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I'm confused. Are they replacing the entire differential/axle housing assembly? I wonder why. On mine and most others here they just replaced the axle shaft which has a new seal and bearing on it. A 1-2 hour job at most.
Service advisor said ā€œcomplete assemblyā€. Iā€™m assuming thatā€™s what youā€™re talking about. I donā€™t see why they would need to change actual housing or the axle itself. Iā€™ll know when I get to the dealership. Again, he said two day install. Donā€™t know why he would need it two days if it only takes 1-2 hours.

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service advisor said ā€œcomplete assemblyā€. Iā€™m assuming thatā€™s what youā€™re talking about. I donā€™t see why they would need to change actual housing or the axle itself. Iā€™ll know when I get to the dealership. Again, he said two day install. Donā€™t know why he would need it two days if it only takes 1-2 hours.
The "2 day" thing is what is confusing me. Unless they are very busy and just can't get to it right away and are going to let your Jeep sit. Or the service writer doesn't know what he's talking about.

If I read the paperwork right the mechanic that changed mine did it in less than an hour (.8) when he got around it it. They called me about 5 hours after I dropped it off to tell me it was ready.

Bumpy Ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The "2 day" thing is what is confusing me. Unless they are very busy and just can't get to it right away and are going to let your Jeep sit. Or the service writer doesn't know what he's talking about.

If I read the paperwork right the mechanic that changed mine did it in less than an hour (.8) when he got around it it. They called me about 5 hours after I dropped it off to tell me it was ready.
Iā€™ll update everyone once I get the call. Should be at latest Thursday.

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Took the gladiator to the dealer yesterday for the leak and to complain about the damaged/abused lug nuts. They spent an hour looking at it.
1 - They said the factory overfilled the rear end and that caused the leak. Directions to take it home and check for leaks and bring it back within 500 miles.
2 - The lugs are not "damaged". SO I don't know if this is normal (The tires have been rotated one time and only by this dealer) or am I just being a prima donna. I attached pictures for any opinion.

1 - Found a puddle on the rim today :-(
Called the store manager and voiced my concerns about wasting my time and about not being happy with the lugs. He said they would take care of me...
I'll keep you posted.

IMG_014344.JPG

IMG_014342.JPG

Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
Took the gladiator to the dealer yesterday for the leak and to complain about the damaged/abused lug nuts. They spent an hour looking at it.
1 - They said the factory overfilled the rear end and that caused the leak. Directions to take it home and check for leaks and bring it back within 500 miles.
2 - The lugs are not "damaged". SO I don't know if this is normal (The tires have been rotated one time and only by this dealer) or am I just being a prima donna. I attached pictures for any opinion.

Called the store manager and voiced my concerns about wasting my time and about not being happy with the lugs. He said they would take care of me...
I'll keep you posted.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? IMG_014342.JPG

Ugghh on them saying it was not a leak....then finding a fresh new pusddle.

On the lugs....I mean maybe I don't see it because of glare or whatever.....but those lugs look fine to me. I see a few tiny marks but I have similar small marks after changing out my wheels and removing my own lugs. Looks like normal tool marks to me.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
There's nothing wrong with the lugs, I wouldn't pursue that any further because you're going to end up getting labeled as a difficult customer.

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I'll keep you posted.

The factory lug nuts have a thin metal chrome cover formed over the actual nut. They will get dinged up with normal use and is normal. Yours look fine to me.

As far as the leak keep after them.

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
There's nothing wrong with the lugs, I wouldn't pursue that any further because you're going to end up getting labeled as a difficult customer.

Ok - I hear that.
Its not great that after one time I have a lug that is starting to rust.
Does anyone know if I can purchase better lug nuts.
Something that does not have a thin chrome cover?

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Spoke with the manager of the dealership.
Wanted to be sure they understood I was not escalating this to a problem - just voicing my frustration. Told him I have serviced/fixed my own vehicles my whole life and this is my first new purchase. So "if I'm being unreasonable" just be straight with me. We talked for a bit a said if he spend 55k on a vehicle he'd want it done right too and the communication could have been better.

An hour later the service guy calls me to say he has ordered the parts and will let me know when they are in - total turn around in attitude.

The dealer offered but I asked them to NOT replace the lugs (due to the feedback I got here on the forum) - don't want to end up in the same place after one more tire rotation. I'll get "good" lugs.

Also to note - As it turns out the dealer cannot call this a warrantee issue until they drain the extra rear end fluid out and give it a couple days.
So looks like they are taking care of the leak.
Thanks to all of you for the advice.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spoke with the manager of the dealership.
Wanted to be sure they understood I was not escalating this to a problem - just voicing my frustration. Told him I have serviced/fixed my own vehicles my whole life and this is my first new purchase. So "if I'm being unreasonable" just be straight with me. We talked for a bit a said if he spend 55k on a vehicle he'd want it done right too and the communication could have been better.

An hour later the service guy calls me to say he has ordered the parts and will let me know when they are in - total turn around in attitude.

The dealer offered but I asked them to NOT replace the lugs (due to the feedback I got here on the forum) - don't want to end up in the same place after one more tire rotation. I'll get "good" lugs.

Also to note - As it turns out the dealer cannot call this a warrantee issue until they drain the extra rear end fluid out and give it a couple days.
So looks like they are taking care of the leak.
Thanks to all of you for the advice.
Bottom line - glad they are taking care of you! ....but yeah that is just more BS he made up about draining the fluid and giving it a few days. He was just trying to use it as a story to de-escalate the situation. If that is the true policy the rest of us would have also been sent away to wait and see for a few days. Again, glad it worked out for you in the end.....but tons of dealers are just totally full of it. It's sad how many times over 20 years I have had to dig in and fight (including printing out info from the internet and official service bulletins) to get dealers (of multiple brands) to perform what is basic warranty work.

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Contact your dealer service department for warranty repair. They will likely end up replacing the whole axle shaft assembly.

Something I did was remove the valve on the end of the vent hose and temporarily replace it with a 5/16 disposable fuel filter until I get another vent cap.

I found the vent valve is very restrictive and I suspect the axle may be building pressure causing the seals to leak.
Afraid my Mojave is starting to show signs of this same leakage on the passenger side rear axle. So far just seepage & not dripping yet. Build date was 2/21/21.

Just out of curiosity, I disconnected the vent hose at the axle fitting. Like you I discovered there is excessive resistance to both blowing & drawing air through the hose, though it can be done. Just way, way more effort than you would expect for a case vent of this type on an axle or transmission.

Next removed the plastic vent cap assembly (pictured below) at the top end of the hose attached to the truck bed framing, and it is the source of the restriction.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? P1011726.JPG

Popped the cover off of the end of it, and found that there is some sort of paper type membrane completely covering the end of the vent housing. This doesn't seem right to me at all.

Are there any Chrysler/Jeep techs on this forum that would know if this is normally the way these are constructed & if so why?
It seems that this could cause excessive pressure buildup in the axle housing as the gear oil warms up, and very possibly be a contributing factor to this rash of axle seals leaking.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? P1011736.JPG

Just for comparison, I looked at the vent hose & cap for the front axle on the driver side spring tower (shown below). This one is the style that I am familiar with seeing used on vehicles, being just a plastic fitting with a loose fitting cap that allows unrestricted air flow.

I again removed the hose at the front axle fitting to test this one, and it has no resistance at all to both blowing or drawing air through the hose & vent cap.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? P1011725.JPG

Interested to hear what you guys think.

If "Jeep Cares" sees this post, maybe they can pass it on to whoever at Jeep might have an answer.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Afraid my Mojave is starting to show signs of this same leakage on the passenger side rear axle. So far just seepage & not dripping yet. Build date was 2/21/21.

Just out of curiosity, I disconnected the vent hose at the axle fitting. Like you I discovered there is excessive resistance to both blowing & drawing air through the hose, though it can be done. Just way, way more effort than you would expect for a case vent of this type on an axle or transmission.

Next removed the plastic vent cap assembly (pictured below) at the top end of the hose attached to the truck bed framing, and it is the source of the restriction.

Popped the cover off of the end of it, and found that there is some sort of paper type membrane completely covering the end of the vent housing. This doesn't seem right to me at all.

Are there any Chrysler/Jeep techs on this forum that would know if this is normally the way these are constructed & if so why?
It seems that this could cause excessive pressure buildup in the axle housing as the gear oil warms up, and very possibly be a contributing factor to this rash of axle seals leaking.

Just for comparison, I looked at the vent hose & cap for the front axle on the driver side spring tower (shown below). This one is the style that I am familiar with seeing used on vehicles, being just a plastic fitting with a loose fitting cap that allows unrestricted air flow.

I again removed the hose at the front axle fitting to test this one, and it has no resistance at all to both blowing or drawing air through the hose & vent cap.

Interested to hear what you guys think.

If "Jeep Cares" sees this post, maybe they can pass it on to whoever at Jeep might have an answer.
That sure is weird...and it sounds like it is not some sort of breathable filter fabric material just to prevent a splash and/or dirt and debris from going back down the tube. I never traced the vent tube to the end on a newer vehicle but on all of the older jeeps and vehicles when I was growing up we would just route them up high as possible and stick a cheap fuel filter or similar filter on the end. My only other thought is that perhaps that little plug was outsourced to the lowest bidder and they used the wrong material for that white membrane.
Sponsored