Leaking axle seal?

AXG1040

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave
My gut says there are plenty more out there with leaks. I only caught mine due to this post. Crawled under with a flashlight and caught it. I think something like this goes unnoticed pretty easy until it gets worse or you have wheel/tire work done. Mine started right around 200 miles and got worse now that I have 500 on it. Goes in tomorrow.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Your advice is priceless. Bolded parts are what I'm replying/commenting on.

Nice law. I could see at least the larger cities in KY benefiting from it, but the compliance would be very low. At least for commercial properties they might be able to get folks to comply. I'd love a concrete spot to put my Jeep on, but my landlords are stingy.

I don't know what an ABS tone ring was. I have been trying to learn more about car mechanics via online videos, don't recall that part being mentioned. There are obviously a bazillion unique parts to unique systems across different makes/models that might do the same thing but called or work different, just takes reaching a venerable status to learn them all I suppose. If you ever can recall or come across a book or series of books that are comprehensive on this sort of stuff, please do let the audience know.

What part of the the wheel is the shield? Is it the hub cap? I'm due to look at everything sooner than later, maybe this weekend I'll put the JT on jacks and finally get properly under the JT. Or take it to a DIY garage shop where you can rent time/tools. https://www.momentumky.com/faq
How long do you think it'll take to do an inspection of the wheels and other parts for leaks/damage? I'm thinking just taking a day under the rig to look at, photograph, and wipe down everything. I can think of worse ways to spend $100 for 8h of rental space, tools, and advice.
Actually brake shield, although SOME vehicles have a shield over the outer axle seal to keep dust from the seal and to direct leaking lube out away from brake parts. For older cars the seal shield actually has a funnel or tapered bottom that lines up with a hole in the brake backing plate. Lube that leaks out exits on the back side of the brake assembly (drum brakes)
I can assume that SOME disk brake systems could do similar - anyway, the shield I mention is the "splash shield" for the disk brakes, keeps water, mud, etc. from casually splashing onto the brakes on some vehicles.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Actually brake shield, although SOME vehicles have a shield over the outer axle seal to keep dust from the seal and to direct leaking lube out away from brake parts. For older cars the seal shield actually has a funnel or tapered bottom that lines up with a hole in the brake backing plate. Lube that leaks out exits on the back side of the brake assembly (drum brakes)
I can assume that SOME disk brake systems could do similar - anyway, the shield I mention is the "splash shield" for the disk brakes, keeps water, mud, etc. from casually splashing onto the brakes on some vehicles.
Now that you mention it, I noticed an additional “shield” of some sort behind the axle retainer plate on my Dana Chromoly shafts when I installed them. One was bent when they arrived, and I straightened it out before I installed it. I don’t recall that part being on previous Jeep axles. Maybe that is the culprit? It really shouldn't be contacting the seal itself. (Upon second thought, it's just a dust shield, so it shouldn't really matter that much)

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? CC2900AC-8E53-470C-9465-22671DFDB0A9

Last edited:

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Your advice is priceless. Bolded parts are what I'm replying/commenting on.

Nice law. I could see at least the larger cities in KY benefiting from it, but the compliance would be very low. At least for commercial properties they might be able to get folks to comply. I'd love a concrete spot to put my Jeep on, but my landlords are stingy.

I don't know what an ABS tone ring was. I have been trying to learn more about car mechanics via online videos, don't recall that part being mentioned. There are obviously a bazillion unique parts to unique systems across different makes/models that might do the same thing but called or work different, just takes reaching a venerable status to learn them all I suppose. If you ever can recall or come across a book or series of books that are comprehensive on this sort of stuff, please do let the audience know.

What part of the the wheel is the shield? Is it the hub cap? I'm due to look at everything sooner than later, maybe this weekend I'll put the JT on jacks and finally get properly under the JT. Or take it to a DIY garage shop where you can rent time/tools. https://www.momentumky.com/faq
How long do you think it'll take to do an inspection of the wheels and other parts for leaks/damage? I'm thinking just taking a day under the rig to look at, photograph, and wipe down everything. I can think of worse ways to spend $100 for 8h of rental space, tools, and advice.
Crawl under the vehicle and look where the axle ends just inside the wheel edge. if you see oil at the lowest point, or traces of oil on the wheel and around the tire, you've found the problem.

2wheeltinker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Stuff for Space Place
Relatively painless replacement, I imagine at a dealer it would be even easier.

Hey, that’s me lol. Also… not leaking since replacing myself…

450 bucks, chromoly shafts, and less than 2 hours was worth not having to waste time at dealerships. Warranty work doesn’t cover your time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2wheeltinker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Stuff for Space Place
Interesting. I figured it was a relatively painless job since the dealer only documented .8 of an hour for it. I wonder why he didn't get it taken care of under warranty. ETA: Never mind, I just read that he upgraded his axle shafts.
Dealers refusing coverage because of re gear. You can see my complaints about that earlier in this thread funny enough.

AXG1040

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave
Dealer confirmed the leak. Axle shaft on back order. Ok to drive while waiting for parts.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Rear seals have been leaking on my JKR for, oh, 7 years now. LOL

It's such a slow leak on both sides that I haven't bothered to replace the shafts. No rust back there though! BONUS!

I'll have to double check my JT. Last time I crawled under there was a couple thousand miles ago. She has 9k on her now.

AXG1040

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave
I have to say I was very impressed when I went to pick it up. The SA walked me into the bay to talk to the technician. He wanted to see my photos I took of the leak and talk through what they would do to resolve it. I have worked in the auto insurance claims industry for 20+ years and this was well handled. Hope the fix works...

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
5700 miles on mine & I am getting the passenger side leaky shaft as well. Not even going to talk to the dealer about it though as I have Dutchman 35 spline rear shafts so its going back to my jeep shop.

Sponsored

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
5700 miles on mine & I am getting the passenger side leaky shaft as well. Not even going to talk to the dealer about it though as I have Dutchman 35 spline rear shafts so its going back to my jeep shop.
this is worrisome where it sounds like it could be more of a housing issue than a seal issue since yours were replaced with the new shafts...

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
Quick update on mine, as I just got it back on Tuesday.

The tech previously replaced the axle/seals due to fluid leaking, and replaced the sway bar end links thinking that would stop the intermittent 'popping' noise coming from the rear. It didn't. It continued to happen when backing up and turning on flat surfaces, but also occurred when driving over uneven road or ground.

Next trip back to the dealer, the tech road-tested my Glad using 'chassis ears' (he called them) to isolate the 'popping' sound. Traced it to 'the passenger side rear lower control arm,' per the tech's notes on the service receipt they gave me. He replaced that control arm and also re-checked the axle seals from the earlier repair for any new fluid leaks.

Good news: No leaking or seepage detected, and no more 'popping' noise! ... although I've only had the Rubi back two days and haven't had the time to drive it much ... So maybe it's a bit early to be doing the happy dance.

Still recall one of the ass't Service Manager's first comments after describing the irritating 'popping' noise ...

"Well, it's a Jeep. Jeep's will do that. It's how they talk to you." :surprised:

I think he was kidding, but ... 🤔

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
@Steppenwolf

Glad that your popping noise went away. If it comes back or if anyone else has a similar issue, I had a sudden onset of a funny popping noise that seemed to happen all the time under varying circumstances (fast/slow, turning/straight, flat/rough ground, etc.) and we finally had someone walk beside the truck as I slowly drove around. The noise was coming from my rear swaybar mounts on the frame, both of them had cracked right through the middle! I don't have any pictures of the crack but here you can see what we did, which was to cut off the stock fixed nut on the back and weld a heavy washer around the hole, then replaced with our own new bolt and nut.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
@Steppenwolf

Glad that your popping noise went away. If it comes back or if anyone else has a similar issue, I had a sudden onset of a funny popping noise that seemed to happen all the time under varying circumstances (fast/slow, turning/straight, flat/rough ground, etc.) and we finally had someone walk beside the truck as I slowly drove around. The noise was coming from my rear swaybar mounts on the frame, both of them had cracked right through the middle! I don't have any pictures of the crack but here you can see what we did, which was to cut off the stock fixed nut on the back and weld a heavy washer around the hole, then replaced with our own new bolt and nut.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal?
It's not "cracked". It's manufactured that way with a pressed-in nutsert. It's a really stupid design. Your modification should fix the problem. My Jeep removed one of mine on its own...
Sponsored