Sponsored

Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc....

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
We all know of the 48 page ( as of 1/20/2023 ) thread about this:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/roof-leak-in-back.25332/

This thread is ONLY to discuss mitigating this on your own without replacing the window. After the Permatex window sealant method failed even after using 2 entire tubes ( still leaked ), I went with the silicon vacuum hose idea a couple guys posted in that huge thread. Credit to @jac04 who posted about it first, at least I read his post first.

X AUTOHAUX 4.5 Meter 14.76ft Black Silicone Air Hose Pipe Tubing 7mm OD 3mm ID for Car

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGSK8VTN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

There are things to know when trying this method:

1. It comes out looking OEM in my opinion.
2. It requires some finesse and patience to stop all the leaks.

My window was leaking all over the place. It has a crack, the factory seal was pinched - total shit work by Jeep at the factory.

Use a squirt bottle with distilled water and an ounce or so of isopropyl alcohol for lube. Different trucks will have different levels of shit work from the factory, so the 7mm OD hose might be too much, or not enough, to fit right in yours. This takes patience and several tries sometimes. My first try it leaked everywhere still because i pushed the hose in too far.

Tips:

1. The hose MUST be pushed in "just the right amount". Too far in - it won't seal the top fiberglass and the lower glass edge. It will leak. Not far enough in - it will pop out, won't seal, and look terrible. DON'T stretch the hose while putting it in. The hose needs to be placed totally limp, and "squeezed" in. It will naturally stretch a little as you squeeze it in, but don't pull on the loose end as you go around the perimeter.

2. You will be using the squirt bottle while putting it in. Water will get into the channel. DO NOT LEAK TEST for at least an hour so all of that water can leak inside the truck. Dry it off inside, THEN leak test.

3. Don't spray everywhere, immediately check for leaks, and "hey I am done! no leaks!" They take awhile to wick their way down. My second try, I got it almost just right, but 15 minutes later one little drip showed up. I looked on the exterior where that drip showed up, and noticed a slight bulge in the hose. I didn't push that area in far enough. I SLIGHTY pressed it in, waited 30 minutes, dried the inside, waited thirty minutes, and re tested by spraying. Waited 30 minutes, checked inside - leaks are all gone.

This cost $14.49 to fix and about 4 hours if you add all the "waiting". Just drink beer and watch football. Actual labor - 10 minutes.

Check for leaks periodically. You have to do that even if Jeep replaces your window. Many guys are on their 3rd window. If this doesn't work out, it takes 5 seconds to rip if off. No trace.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... Screenshot_20230120-093503_Gallery

Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... Screenshot_20230120-093431_Gallery
Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... Screenshot_20230120-093426_Gallery
Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... Screenshot_20230120-093516_Gallery
Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... Screenshot_20230120-093512_Gallery
Sponsored

Last edited:

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Excellent write-up.

I used rubber vacuum hose as opposed to silicone. If I were to do it again, I think the silicone hose maybe be a little easier to work with.

The "trick" to a perfect installation is getting the hose installed to a consistent depth. You don't want to push the hose too far in, but you need to push it in far enough to stop the leak and have it stay in place.

To accomplish this, I made an installation tool. The tool is a piece of 1" OD polyethylene (plastic) pipe cut to a length of about 1.75". Round & smooth the ends with a file & sandpaper. I then wrapped it with blue painter's tape to ensure it would not scratch anything. You'll likely need to replace the painter's tape a few times as it gets worn out.

Apply the alcohol lube solution and place the hose over the gap. Roll the tool over the hose while applying pressure to push the hose into the gap. I started at the top center of the window and worked my way to each side. Once you get the center started, keep applying lube and moving the tool over about 1/2" and keep working your way to the ends.

The corners are are little tricky because you can't keep the tool flat on the glass. You need to tilt the tool and use the rounded ends to insert the hose.

Tool:
Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... 1674247358906

Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... 1674247457144

Results:
Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... 1674247320252

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Excellent write-up.

I used rubber vacuum hose as opposed to silicone. If I were to do it again, I think the silicone hose maybe be a little easier to work with.

The "trick" to a perfect installation is getting the hose installed to a consistent depth. You don't want to push the hose too far in, but you need to push it in far enough to stop the leak and have it stay in place.

To accomplish this, I made an installation tool. The tool is a piece of 1" OD polyethylene (plastic) pipe cut to a length of about 1.75". Round & smooth the ends with a file & sandpaper. I then wrapped it with blue painter's tape to ensure it would not scratch anything.

Apply the alcohol lube solution and place the hose over the gap. Roll the tool over the hose while applying pressure to push the hose into the gap. I started at the top center of the window and worked my way to each side. Once you get the center started, keep applying lube and moving the tool over about 1/2" and keep working your way to the ends.

The corners are are little tricky because you can't keep the tool flat on the glass. You need to tilt the tool and use the rounded ends to insert the hose.
Thank you for doing the discovery work, made my life a lot easier.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Thank you for doing the discovery work, made my life a lot easier.
Just glad I could help.

I added some pics to my reply so everyone can see what I did.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Glad you got it worked out. I hope the tubing holds up in the weather and sun.
Insane that you'd have to go through all of that.

Sponsored

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Thank you for this information. I've added this to my Amazon list. Mine hasn't leaked (yet?) and I'm still very annoyed this is even a thing.... Keeping water out of a vehicle should have been solved in the 1940s.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We all know of the 48 page ( as of 1/20/2023 ) thread about this:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/roof-leak-in-back.25332/

This thread is ONLY to discuss mitigating this on your own without replacing the window. After the Permatex window sealant method failed even after using 2 entire tubes ( still leaked ), I went with the silicon vacuum hose idea a couple guys posted in that huge thread. Credit to @jac04 who posted about it first, at least I read his post first.

X AUTOHAUX 4.5 Meter 14.76ft Black Silicone Air Hose Pipe Tubing 7mm OD 3mm ID for Car

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGSK8VTN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

There are things to know when trying this method:

1. It comes out looking OEM in my opinion.
2. It requires some finesse and patience to stop all the leaks.

My window was leaking all over the place. It has a crack, the factory seal was pinched - total shit work by Jeep at the factory.

Use a squirt bottle with distilled water and an ounce or so of isopropyl alcohol for lube. Different trucks will have different levels of shit work from the factory, so the 7mm OD hose might too much, or not enough, to fit right in yours. This takes patience and several tries sometimes. My first try it leaked everywhere still because i pushed the hose in too far.

Tips:

1. The hose MUST be pushed in "just the right amount". Too far in - it won't seal the top fiberglass and the lower glass edge. It will leak. Not far enough in - it will pop out, won't seal, and look terrible. DON'T stretch the hose while putting it in. The hose needs to be placed totally limp, and "squeezed" in. It will naturally stretch a little as you squeeze it in, but don't pull on the loose end as you go around the perimeter.

2. You will be using the squirt bottle while putting it in. Water will get into the channel. DO NOT LEAK TEST for at least an hour so all of that water can leak inside the truck. Dry it off inside, THEN leak test.

3. Don't spray everywhere, immediately check for leaks, and "hey I am done! no leaks!" They take awhile to wick their way down. My second try, I got it almost just right, but 15 minutes later one little drip showed up. I looked on the exterior where that drip showed up, and noticed a slight bulge in the hose. I didn't push that area in far enough. I SLIGHTY pressed it in, waited 30 minutes, dried the inside, waited thirty minutes, and re tested by spraying. Waited 30 minutes, checked inside - leaks are all gone.

This cost $14.49 to fix and about 4 hours if you add all the "waiting". Just drink beer and watch football. Actual labor - 10 minutes.

Check for leaks periodically. You have to do that even if Jeep replaces your window. Many guys are on their 3rd window. If this doesn't work out, it takes 5 seconds to rip if off. No trace.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... 1674247320252

Just want to thank everyone who posted their ideas for fixing this problem especially ecidiego for the idea and link for the silicone hose. Got mine installed today just going to wait for rain now and hope it stays dry. Supposed to rain Saturday night so hopefully it worked

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Just a question, why not have a glass company come and replace your window? Thats all the repair is

Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just a question, why not have a glass company come and replace your window? Thats all the repair is
I had the dealership replace it already and started leaking again after a year and now out of warranty and not wanting to spend 2000 to try and fix it again

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
I had the dealership replace it already and started leaking again after a year and now out of warranty and not wanting to spend 2000 to try and fix it again
The sad thing is its probably nothing they did, and the same exact part probably cracked again.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
$14 versus $2000.
The sad thing is it looks like Jeep finally came up with a fix now using a seal. They should fix all the leaking windows in warranty or not. We paid a lot of money on these vehicles and should get better service from Jeep

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
The sad thing is it looks like Jeep finally came up with a fix now using a seal. They should fix all the leaking windows in warranty or not. We paid a lot of money on these vehicles and should get better service from Jeep
Glass company has been doing those, confirmed by calling them. No new part exists.
Sponsored