Sponsored

LED Bulb Replacement - IT WORKS!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Hey did your LED's plug in tight to the connector for the reverse lights? I tried a couple of bulbs from Amazon but they lacked having any kind of locking tab on the connector end of the bulb that plugs into the wiring harness connector so the bulbs would just fall out.
I hope what I just said makes sense lol
the ones i used are just press fitted in, they've stayed fine.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
But the reverse bulbs don't fit.
i was afraid of that. The bulbs they quoted on their site had the wrong size, and when i bought Amazon ones of the same size, they didn't fit.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the LED package and i get flashed all the time by oncoming drivers...and not in the good way!
you may want to try adjusting your bulbs down. I got flashed all the time with stock bulbs, went to led and re-aimed them, no flashing, moved them up quite a bit, still no flashing, moved up another full turn, got flashed 3 times home on a 3.5 hour drive on monday. I think re-aiming them is the key.

yes I plan to move mine down a 0.5 turn now to see if i still get flashed.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, definitely watched the video; that is how I found out about the reverse bulbs. I think I even clicked the link from their video to their website to make the purchase. After re-watching the video today and freezing it on the part that shows the new LED reverse bulb, I compared it to what they sent me, it doesn't even look like the same bulb. And here is a picture of that connector from the new bulb next to where it is supposed to plug in to the OEM harness, no way it fits:

EDIT: HR called literally as I was hitting send. They saw these pictures in the email I sent them and said this was news to them. They thought all JT's had a standard bulb in non-LED models but apparently not. They are sending me some T15's same 1000 lumens. So, we shall see.

20191120_131029.jpg

20191120_131042.jpg
keep us posted!

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
you may want to try adjusting your bulbs down. I got flashed all the time with stock bulbs, went to led and re-aimed them, no flashing, moved them up quite a bit, still no flashing, moved up another full turn, got flashed 3 times home on a 3.5 hour drive on monday. I think re-aiming them is the key.

yes I plan to move mine down a 0.5 turn now to see if i still get flashed.
Is there an "official" height? Like if you measure the distance from your headlights to a wall you're aiming, is the cutoff supposed to be X feet above the ground measured on the wall?

Sponsored

Texas_Gladiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1998 Wrangler
Is there an "official" height? Like if you measure the distance from your headlights to a wall you're aiming, is the cutoff supposed to be X feet above the ground measured on the wall?
From all the videos I've watched they say it should be 3' off the ground from 25' away. Make sure you're on a level surface.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
If you do LED bulbs in a factory reflector housing, it should be aimed lower than what most people typically say. For projectors (LED or HID) it should be ~2-3" lower than the center of your headlight from 20' away

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Another fantastic video from my boys over at HR

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From all the videos I've watched they say it should be 3' off the ground from 25' away. Make sure you're on a level surface.
that's what i've seen too, but I found at that height with a strong LED cut off, i didn't get enough light down the road to see things well while driving at 60mph on a 2 lane county road, so I moved mine up a bit. I started at 36" and moved it up some. I'm trying to find that sweet spot where I can still see, but not blinding folks.

Keep in mind 36" from a low Honda Civic would have the beams pointing at an upward angle. 36" from our trucks would be a downward angle. so at 100 foot out the light on the road would be way different.

I think they choose 36" so that at about 25' away from a car, your lights are still below their side mirrors and not shining into their car.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you do LED bulbs in a factory reflector housing, it should be aimed lower than what most people typically say. For projectors (LED or HID) it should be ~2-3" lower than the center of your headlight from 20' away
this is the other way i've heard it explained. level from headlight at 20-25' away. Well if you raise your vehicle and keep the light level, it'll be off from stock level.

so maybe @brancky3 saying 2-3" below level is right.

Sponsored

Texas_Gladiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1998 Wrangler
Welp, received my order from HR today that was supposed to be the correct LED's for the Fog's and they still don't fit. Actually, I am fairly certain they sent me the exact same bulbs. :headbang: The issue appears to be the tabs on the collar of the bulb that snap into the notches of the housing. One of them isn't in the correct spot so it doesn't allow the bulb to fully "click" in and seat properly. Back to square one....

EDIT: After speaking to HR, they suggested trimming off that tab and trying it that way. So, went out and trimmed them off and the bulbs fit much better, but still not a perfect click-in seating. They feel like they are solidly in there though. Gonna give it a few days and see what I think.

Gladiator FOG housing.jpg

SV4Bulb.jpg

OEMGladiatorBulb.jpg

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welp, received my order from HR today that was supposed to be the correct LED's for the Fog's and they still don't fit. Actually, I am fairly certain they sent me the exact same bulbs. :headbang: The issue appears to be the tabs on the collar of the bulb that snap into the notches of the housing. One of them isn't in the correct spot so it doesn't allow the bulb to fully "click" in and seat properly. Back to square one....

EDIT: After speaking to HR, they suggested trimming off that tab and trying it that way. So, went out and trimmed them off and the bulbs fit much better, but still not a perfect click-in seating. They feel like they are solidly in there though. Gonna give it a few days and see what I think.

Gladiator FOG housing.jpg

SV4Bulb.jpg

OEMGladiatorBulb.jpg
holy annoying BS batman!

These are the foglights I bought off amazon, fit like a charm. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H8CAC5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
not sure what fitment number they are, but here's the description. Do the ones from HR match? If not, they suck at researching before selling........#lamesauce
Alla Lighting 2504 PSX24W LED Fog Light Bulbs Super Bright PSX24W LED Bulb High Power 50W 12V LED PSX24W Bulb for 12276 2504 PSX24W Fog Light Bulbs Replacement, 6000K Xenon White (Set of 2)

OP
OP
mikesjt

mikesjt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Wrangler TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
holy annoying BS batman!

These are the foglights I bought off amazon, fit like a charm. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H8CAC5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
not sure what fitment number they are, but here's the description. Do the ones from HR match? If not, they suck at researching before selling........#lamesauce
Alla Lighting 2504 PSX24W LED Fog Light Bulbs Super Bright PSX24W LED Bulb High Power 50W 12V LED PSX24W Bulb for 12276 2504 PSX24W Fog Light Bulbs Replacement, 6000K Xenon White (Set of 2)
Those are the same bulbs I bought on amazon for my fogs and they fit perfectly too. How much is HR charging for their bulbs?
I actually just found a take-off set of factory LED fogs for my JTR for $140 shipped so I bought them. PERFECT condition. Installed the other day and am very happy with them. :) Also got a set of factory LED DRL blinker assy from the same person for $270 shipped. Also perfect condition. They were both off of a brand new Gladiator. They turned out awesome too. Wish the headlights weren't so expensive! lol

OP
OP
mikesjt

mikesjt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Wrangler TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I hope you guys aren't paying over $100 just for LED bulbs for fogs. I just snagged a set of factory take off LED fogs for mine for $140 shipped. They were off of a brand new Gladiator and were in PERFECT condition. Watch the sale forums for people who are replacing their lights and you may find a good deal on factory take off lights. I also got a set of factory take off LED DRL blinker assembly's for $270 shipped, also in perfect condition. Some of these lighting companies are charging a lot just for the bulbs. Just sharing what I'm finding for my JTR so maybe it'll help you guys as well. :)
Sponsored