Website
real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com
Vehicle(s)
22AEV JT, 22 Ram 3500, Suburban 2500, 22 Caddy XT6
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aviator (military) Commercial pilot, rotary and fixed wing, Writer
I appreciate your response that makes me happy. I can’t wait. I will also check out your thread. 👍🏻
Excellent, see you over there.
I am beginning the install of the Clayton Overland 3.5" system and Falcon 3.3's today. Gonna be fun!
Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
We just finished my JT on 37” from 3:73 to 5:13, while we were putting it back together a guy came buy that built race cars for himself, his son and grandson, lots of mechanical experience. We were discussing break in on the gears and he over heard me, I asked how they did it in the race cars, he said we don’t… it’s done on the track. He said if whoever put them in knew what they were doing and it had a good pattern they ran it hard. I asked about the heat cycles on tempering he said, who tempered your new truck when you bought it? You did on the highway on the way home same with your engine. He also said don’t get me wrong we listen to the race car engine running on a stand check for leaks get it up to temperature, let it cool down the run it at close to redline for a little bit drain the oil look for metal put it in the car and give it hell. I think I’m still gonna take it easy for a while and follow some sort of break in. Just floors me how different people’s opinions are on the same subject about break ins.
Break it in how you plan to use it. 😁

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
We just finished my JT on 37” from 3:73 to 5:13, while we were putting it back together a guy came buy that built race cars for himself, his son and grandson, lots of mechanical experience. We were discussing break in on the gears and he over heard me, I asked how they did it in the race cars, he said we don’t… it’s done on the track. He said if whoever put them in knew what they were doing and it had a good pattern they ran it hard. I asked about the heat cycles on tempering he said, who tempered your new truck when you bought it? You did on the highway on the way home same with your engine. He also said don’t get me wrong we listen to the race car engine running on a stand check for leaks get it up to temperature, let it cool down the run it at close to redline for a little bit drain the oil look for metal put it in the car and give it hell. I think I’m still gonna take it easy for a while and follow some sort of break in. Just floors me how different people’s opinions are on the same subject about break ins.
That guy is correct. Neither Jeep or Dana break it in either. I still don't understand with these 500 miles break in stuffs, other than warranty purpose by the installer.

If the gears isn't defects and the installation correct, than it shouldn't whine at all. Just drive it as normal.

TheTrailGeek

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon - Gator
Occupation
Coder

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
I did 5.13 a month or so ago and the transmission slows me down more than my brakes do sometimes. Depends how hard I press or if I feather the brake. I have 35s though as I haven't upgraded to 37s just yet.

Sponsored

toddarama

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I do IT stuff so I can buy Jeep stuff.
I am skeptical ....

"This procedure will work on W5A580 transmission but may work on other models. It does not cause any problems and doesn’t hurt to try."

... try the reset procedure for a different transmission model that was never offered in the Gladiator?

Okambot

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave White
Occupation
E&I Tech Oil Field
Just had my re-gear to 5.13s complete on Friday and so far so good. Those guys at Exodus did a great job as always! I also had them install a set of chromoly rear axle shafts since they had it pulled apart so no labor charge.
After I reprogrammed the gearing using j-scan, the shifting has been smooth.

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I had my 21 JTR on 35s regeared to 5.13 about 2 weeks ago. My experience is that it downshifts more aggressively, quite abruptly sometimes down to 1st. I'm going to give it until around 1000 miles, and I'll try the adaption process if it hasn't fixed itself by them.

Okambot

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E&I Tech Oil Field
I had my 21 JTR on 35s regeared to 5.13 about 2 weeks ago. My experience is that it downshifts more aggressively, quite abruptly sometimes down to 1st. I'm going to give it until around 1000 miles, and I'll try the adaption process if it hasn't fixed itself by them.
You did reprogram for the gears correct? I haven’t experienced the aggressive down shifting

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What RPM are you turning at 70?

If you don't know, do you have any RPM at any speed? Just curious.

Sponsored

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
You did reprogram for the gears correct? I haven’t experienced the aggressive down shifting
The shop says they did. I didn’t confirm, but I think I’d have bigger problems if they didn’t.

Okambot

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E&I Tech Oil Field
The shop says they did. I didn’t confirm, but I think I’d have bigger problems if they didn’t.
So the shop I went to did not change gear ratio using their program because according to them anything after a certain month in 2021 did not accept whatever programmer they were using. I had left my modules to program using Jscan at the casa and I didn’t want to spend another 300+ on a Tazer mini they were trying to sell me. They told me it was fine to drive that way and the shift points would prob be off some. I drove over 250 miles without reprogramming and wasn’t bad at all. Reprogramming did make it shift noticeably smoother though 🤷

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
So the shop I went to did not change gear ratio using their program because according to them anything after a certain month in 2021 did not accept whatever programmer they were using. I had left my modules to program using Jscan at the casa and I didn’t want to spend another 300+ on a Tazer mini they were trying to sell me. They told me it was fine to drive that way and the shift points would prob be off some. I drove over 250 miles without reprogramming and wasn’t bad at all. Reprogramming did make it shift noticeably smoother though 🤷
Was the speedo way off without the gear programming? Mine is correct, which is why I’ve been confident that they did it correctly. But they told me it would immediately start limping, and it sounds like they’re wrong about that. I bought a flashcal from them because I forgot my obd widget for JScan.

Okambot

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E&I Tech Oil Field
Was the speedo way off without the gear programming? Mine is correct, which is why I’ve been confident that they did it correctly. But they told me it would immediately start limping, and it sounds like they’re wrong about that. I bought a flashcal from them because I forgot my obd widget for JScan.
Mine was off 1-2 mph from when I didn’t set it right after I had the larger tires installed so it was the same after the regear. I actually corrected the tire size at the same time I programmed the gearing