Sponsored

"Lifetime", Lifeguard 8-9 Speed ATF (Is this semi-synthetic oil good "forever"??) 24k kms.

Should you change the "good for life" transmission Lifeguard 8-9 Speed ATF sooner than later??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
If I have learned anything from this site it is to not mess with the automatic transmission. Pretty sure it is 5year/60k mile warranty.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So I did a pan drop and fluid fill, not flush two weeks ago. Fluid instantly started gushing out when I opened the fill plug with a completely cooled transmission that sat overnight. So I’m thinking it was due to being overfilled and becoming foamy once it reached operating temp and hence the pump starts to whine. Low fluid, I would have expected it at startup, clogged filter medium, same thing. So far, two weeks in with the correct fluid level and new filter, zero whine. Now I’m worried it wasn’t overfilled with trans fluid from the factory, but some other residual fluid. Will find out when the Blackstone report comes back.
Your logic is sound - a whine at startup is low fluid.
Once warm, the fluid expands quite a bit and it's possible it foamed, leading to air in the system.
I'm surprised these don't react to a fluid that has foam and can be compressed - low pressures and so on.

But unless you went through the whole process that Kevin has somewhere about checking it at a specific temperature and so on...... was it over-full?
After sitting a while, certain things will drain back a bit, even into a legacy Torqueflite, and make it look "over-filled".

Since you did a filter and fluid swap, and you have gone through the process of filling to the correct level at the correct temp and so on, you can assume it's correct now.
Was it over-filled? Too late to know for sure now, but if there was contamination, it should show on a report.
I don't know what else it would be "filled" with, or would be in there with the fluid. Is an over-fill possible? Yeah, we've seen weird stuff, not easy, not likely, but when you see wires mis-routed, parts loose, installed incorrectly (like lash adjusters in the engines - exhaust where the intake should be) I guess the saying of the day is "stuff happens".

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So I did a pan drop and fluid fill, not flush two weeks ago. Fluid instantly started gushing out when I opened the fill plug with a completely cooled transmission that sat overnight. So I’m thinking it was due to being overfilled and becoming foamy once it reached operating temp and hence the pump starts to whine. Low fluid, I would have expected it at startup, clogged filter medium, same thing. So far, two weeks in with the correct fluid level and new filter, zero whine. Now I’m worried it wasn’t overfilled with trans fluid from the factory, but some other residual fluid. Will find out when the Blackstone report comes back.
Perfectly normal in a cold transmission for 2.5 to 3 quarts to come out when removing the fill plug on the side. This is the fluid that has drained out of the torque converter. Then there is about 4 quarts remaining in the pan below the fill port.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys, went through the full procedure. I’ve done it 3 times before on my WK2 with the ZF built 8 speed. The first time I cracked that one open, nothing came out. Went through the procedure of gears, running, etc, but it was still cold (under the temp window for checking the level 80-120), so did not expect it to gush out when I cracked it open.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Thanks guys, went through the full procedure. I’ve done it 3 times before on my WK2 with the ZF built 8 speed. The first time I cracked that one open, nothing came out. Went through the procedure of gears, running, etc, but it was still cold (under the temp window for checking the level 80-120), so did not expect it to gush out when I cracked it open.
So what is the MILAGE on the oil you sent to Blackstone? I hope you post the results.

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
So what is the MILAGE on the oil you sent to Blackstone? I hope you post the results.
33,500… definitely will report back. I’m curious if it’ll show glycol too.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
33,500… definitely will report back. I’m curious if it’ll show glycol too.
Did the oil have a good stir before bottling the sample?
Sponsored