Lightweight Winch & Recovery Gear Setup

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I didn’t read all the replies, but how about a hitch mounted winch with a Curt front hitch receiver. You can have a full sized winch, but only mount it and run it when you need it. The rest of the time it just stays in the back. And you can switch it from front to back depending on the situation. And you can keep your existing bumper. I think there was someone on here that did it with a Mojave.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I didn’t read all the replies, but how about a hitch mounted winch with a Curt front hitch receiver. You can have a full sized winch, but only mount it and run it when you need it. The rest of the time it just stays in the back. And you can switch it from front to back depending on the situation. And you can keep your existing bumper. I think there was someone on here that did it with a Mojave.
I had a Warn M8000 in a cradle like that on my YJ. I could run it front or rear or move it to the hitch of my pickup truck. It was a great setup because I didn't have to haul it around most of the time, such as commuting to and from work. I may actually look at going back to that kind of deal on my JK at some point.

OP
OP

DoAWheelie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I like the portable winch idea with the front receiver. Basically it duplicates my Winch2Go idea but would solve the winch power problem. The front receiver is also only 20 lb per amazon shipping weight.

I found this thread that talks about a front hitch receiver, but I get the sense this would interfere with the skid plates...

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/front-hitch-receiver.24377/page-5

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I like the portable winch idea with the front receiver. Basically it duplicates my Winch2Go idea but would solve the winch power problem. The front receiver is also only 20 lb per amazon shipping weight.

I found this thread that talks about a front hitch receiver, but I get the sense this would interfere with the skid plates...

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/front-hitch-receiver.24377/page-5
Yes that’s probably the only major caveat, here.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

Yep you would need to cut a hole right in the plate to pass it through. Has been done on the forum, but was enough of a task to get me to go with a dedicated bumper. But thats because the combo I found was light enough for me to tolerate it.

Sponsored

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Found this on the Tube of Youse...

I think this is they way I'm going, so much more flexible that a front bumper only install. I can see myself getting stuck in beach sand or snow and being able to be pulled backwards would be important.

67CJ5

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 cj 5 willys
Hey all! So brought home my new '21 Mojave and absolutely love it. Have been using it to explore CO trails and head out to camp sites. When I do hit trails, I generally don't go for obstacles that are hard for the sake of hard, but rather just running somewhat challenging trails that are the path to a cool camping spot. I have no desire to destroy my ride if I can avoid it :). WIth that in mind, I need get my recovery gear in order because it just seems smart.

I don't want to hang too much weight off the front and impact the characteristics of the suspension so I'm looking to find a compromise that gets me the ability to recover my vehicle in the case of a mild dig in, but not add all the weight. I threw a few options below and would love to hear thoughts/ideas. As a note, I always carry a Garmin Inreach for emergencies and don't often go alone, but would like to be prepared.

Recovery traction boards PLUS:

1. Superwinch winch2go - Cheapest, most flexible option. 40lbs for 4000lb pull. Can add snatch blocks to multiply at 8000lb with the one included (or more). Doesn't have to live on the truck.
2. Rugged Ridge Arcus with 54lb Warn 9.0RC - Full tilt option at ~$2300, but REALLY cool. Seems like it would add ~100lb net to the front end, lightest config I can find.
3. Get over the weight and put on a steel bumper & more cost effective winch because it doesn't make that much difference...

If the answer is #3, what do you guys suggest in terms of a light weight winch that might be a bit more cost effective than the Warn 9.0RC golden brick?

Thanks!
Warn use to make a short Drum 6000Lbs winch and then Warrior/Champion bought out a 9500Lbs Shor Drum and then Warn released their version of it, The Warrior/Champion version was standard equipment on some british Military vehicles,

The easier option would be to fit a 2" reciever to the front and rear of your vehicle then you could use a short Winch at either end of the vehicle, The EWX9500SD Short Drum Warrior/Champion winch costs around 5 or 600 bucks, The same brand is marketed in Australia as "Runva" and in a Tough Winch Shotout over Warn and another 6 or 7 brands The EWX9500 Runva ( Warrior/Champion ) left all the others in the shade even though it cost a 5th of the price, While in the Test the Warn started Smoking, Not Good.

Here is the Test,

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/recovery/12-volt-winch-test-results

Hop that helps

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I have the DrawTite front hitch, short strap to plug into either hitch, Wyeth Scott come along, 2" straps and a little chain.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Rampage "Rock Rage" plate steel bumper with fog light provisions, D-rings, hood hoop, 12k winch plate, etc. = 60 lbs.

Badland APEX 12k winch = 59 lbs.

Minus 35 lbs. for throwing away the factory bumper. Not bad at all!!

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
I have a JKUR that even tho I attempted to keep it light got to heavy.
I rarely winch more that 2-3 feet in my jk before I have some traction or I have a good idea what I’m getting in before I get in it and in that case I’m usually looking at where I can pull cable to before I commit.
There is nothing wrong with turning around or going around stuff when you’re the only Jeep!!!
I’m going to skip the winch for now on my Mojave, going with the high lift and some synthetic ropes.
I haven’t seen any front hitch’s rated for winch duty (you may not care) but either way if you can put the weight in the bed vs outside wheel base it will carry it better.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Found this on the Tube of Youse...

I think this is they way I'm going, so much more flexible that a front bumper only install. I can see myself getting stuck in beach sand or snow and being able to be pulled backwards would be important.

I had that setup with a Warn 8000i on my YJ and could put the winch front or rear, which was really an advantage. If I drove into something I shouldn't have, then I could winch it out from the rear. I also wired up the Silverado I had at the time so I could move the winch over to it when needed. It's just so versatile. Plus, you don't have to carry the weight of the winch around when you don't need it, such as commuting to work every day.

You'll absolutely love it!

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
How much did it weigh? Could you move it by yourself?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Just put the Smittybuilt H20 10K Synthetic into my RR Arcus bumper and added the RR Arcus Front Skid Plate. Everything looks great and while the extra weight on the front is noticeable right now it doesn't really seam like its much. I think the Winch is 60+ pounds and the skid plate I couldn't find the weight listed but seems like its in the 20+ lb range. The bumper was 68 lbs and replaced the factory plastic bumper.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Hear me out here..... I've had a winch on my FJC for ~10 years now, and wheeled a lot. I've been stuck a lot. I've never used the winch once. Digging out, getting pulled out, moving rocks, whatever it was, I've always been able to get free.
You know what we used to get un-stuck with when I was young? An antique Wyeth-Scott Power Puller, with a shredded, rusty, muddy cable, and a logging chain... and Dad got us stuck a LOT while getting firewood in the Ozarks.

It takes a little more time, a lot more elbow grease, but you just keep it under the seat for a true emergency. Your battery goes dead, cables get cut or chewed by critters, solenoids freeze, etc etc,

Wyeth Scott More Power Puller 3-35-A-SLT 3-Ton AmSteel-Blue Synthetic Rope Industrial Hand Ratchet Puller/Hoist, 35' - - Amazon.com

A more sensible, modern version will also work just fine.

Neiko 02256A Heavy Duty 5 Ton Come-a-Long Power Puller, 3 Hooks and 2 Gears - Come A Long Winch Neiko - Amazon.com

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Hear me out here..... I've had a winch on my FJC for ~10 years now, and wheeled a lot. I've been stuck a lot. I've never used the winch once. Digging out, getting pulled out, moving rocks, whatever it was, I've always been able to get free.
You know what we used to get un-stuck with when I was young? An antique Wyeth-Scott Power Puller, with a shredded, rusty, muddy cable, and a logging chain... and Dad got us stuck a LOT while getting firewood in the Ozarks.

It takes a little more time, a lot more elbow grease, but you just keep it under the seat for a true emergency. Your battery goes dead, cables get cut or chewed by critters, solenoids freeze, etc etc,

Wyeth Scott More Power Puller 3-35-A-SLT 3-Ton AmSteel-Blue Synthetic Rope Industrial Hand Ratchet Puller/Hoist, 35' - - Amazon.com

A more sensible, modern version will also work just fine.

Neiko 02256A Heavy Duty 5 Ton Come-a-Long Power Puller, 3 Hooks and 2 Gears - Come A Long Winch Neiko - Amazon.com
I got plans for my winch more than just in case I get stuck someplace. It will be pulling some trees, and other things down the line. Earlier this year would have been good to have getting someone out of the sand. We dug him out but it would have been a lot easier with a winch especially after the recovery board broke
Sponsored