First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I'm hitting them with hot lead from the bedroom window. If you pull in my drive at night and are sitting idle, I'm grabbing my rifle and going to the bonus room and your losing two front tires. We will see how far you get on that. I hate thieves but they also deserve to be taught a lesson, I'm the law in my yard.
I was thinking that or the racking of a 12 gauge pump action would make them shit in their pant!
Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I'm not advocating anything, but I'm reminded of one of may favorite sayings:

"When seconds matter, the police are just minutes away". Not their fault; that's just the way it is.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I'm not advocating anything, but I'm reminded of one of may favorite sayings:

"When seconds matter, the police are just minutes away". Not their fault; that's just the way it is.
I totally get it. I would want to do what several people have stated here too. The reality is that many states prohibit the use of deadly force to protect property. Mine is one of them. Weā€™ve seen a lot lately how people can get sucked into a thought process, and they wind up in a place they donā€™t want to be. Too bad we donā€™t have a system that effectively punishes and deters criminals...

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I totally get it. I would want to do what several people have stated here too. The reality is that many states prohibit the use of deadly force to protect property. Mine is one of them. Weā€™ve seen a lot lately how people can get sucked into a thought process, and they wind up in a place they donā€™t want to be. Too bad we donā€™t have a system that effectively punishes and deters criminals...
My post wasn't directed at you, your post, or even this situation really. I like your approach here. I just like that saying; it makes people think . . .

I likely would have approached the situation similarly as the OP. Arm myself, hit the lights, ready with phone.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
On the JL and JT's the tail lights, if you hit them real hard on their side with the side of your fist, the inner / removable cone shaped piece (the cone that the white nylon bolt screws into that holds the light in) breaks free inside and the tail light comes right off... you then unplug a connector and the tail light is free.

One, used, LED tail light is worth over a hundred dollars ... they are found selling on Facebook, eBAY and JL / JT forums..

Guys buy the used/pricey, LED tail lights without the inner cone shaped piece, and then buy a cheapie, halogen tail light pull off to get that hard to come by, new, removable, inner cone to use with the LED tail light that they bought without the cone..

Anyway, bad guy may be looking to grab your LED tail lights.. A guy can snag both off your JT, in a minute and one half.
asdf.jpg
Gladiator tail lights also have two 8mm screws holding them on from the side of the tailgate opening. If itā€™s locked, they canā€™t be accessed.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
My post wasn't directed at you, your post, or even this situation really. I like your approach here. I just like that saying; it makes people think . . .

I likely would have approached the situation similarly as the OP. Arm myself, hit the lights, ready with phone.
Realistically, probably mine too. I know of an event where I live of a guy who reported a car break in, and gave a vehicle description. Cops found the car about a mile away, having been shot up. Driver was found walking about another mile away, with a bullet wound to the arm. Both guys got to meet each other again in jail...

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
I've heard that LED headlights are a commonly stolen item. Whatever it was, they were in a hurry to get out of there....

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
I was laying awake last night about 1:45am and heard a noise. I believe it to be a car door. I didnā€™t think too much about it until I noticed what sounded like a vehicle idling out front. That sparked my interest. I went to the front windows and saw a Jeep (2 door) with lights off parked at the bottom of my driveway. I ran back to my bedroom for a quick second, and then turned the lights on to my driveway so I wasnā€™t heading out in the dark. Lights obviously spooked whoever was out front, and they hopped in the Jeep and sped down the road. Iā€™d do a few things differently next time-truthfully I was surprised at the situation and didnā€™t put my best plan together.

My question (very long winded) is this: is there something that is commonly stolen from Jeeps that I need to be aware of....and possibly secure? I canā€™t see them taking my wheels and 37ā€ tires to stuff in a 2 door Jeep, and unless they are a pit crew-the bumper takes time. My JT was locked and has a hard top-so I donā€™t see them stealing it. Iā€™m THINKING they wanted to see if it was unlocked, or something in the bed-but I think I startled them before they could do too much. First time Jeep owner, and looking for input into anything Iā€™m not aware of yet.
Thanks for reading!
Here is a video of my neighbors camera pointing at his driveway. It got the headlights coming on, and Jeep speeding away. Itā€™s motion activated, so it didnā€™t get any action on my driveway
Nothing good is happening in any driveway when thereā€™s a (strange) car idling with lights off at 0145.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Always known I'm lucky to be alive. But now I know just how lucky. So many times I've stopped liked something, and tore ass out of there. If you are convinced it was a perp, I'm a perimeter guy, get those motion lights pointed halfway across the street to illuminate the situation so you don't have to act...

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer

Florida Statute 776.012(2) allows the use of deadly force to prevent the commission of a forcible felony, including burglary or robbery, which includes a conveyance (meaning your car). However, to justify using deadly force, you must show that it was reasonable and necessary. This analysis will depend upon all of the facts and circumstances. For example, it is quite easy to believe that a jury would find that you should have used forceā€”not deadly forceā€”to stop an unarmed teenager from breaking into your car. On the other end of the spectrum, you would be more likely to be found reasonable if you heard shouting and surprised a gang of heavily armed thieves. If you are in your home and you notice someone stealing your car, it is often best to call 911 and be the very best witness you can be.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
TX allows use of deadly force to protect property. Yeehaw!!

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Decades of being a Jeeper. It's hard to believe a Jeep owner would steal from another.
For me it has always been about helping others stuck or broke down on the road or trail. Donating to the less fortunate and helping with forest cleanups and trail repairs.

It's a very sad world we now live in.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
First things I added were spare lock, hood lock, locking gas cap, cable clip to prevent the tonneau cover release from being fished, and door locks. Every bit helps šŸ˜‰
Sponsored