First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevelle, Fusion Sport, KTM 500
Occupation
Engineer
Doesn’t appear to be a shortage in Arizona. Plenty of Gladiators, Grand Cherokees, and Wranglers. The dealers all act like they have rare specimens though and won’t negotiate much, so I’m buying a used Lexus GX460 instead 🤙🏻
Sponsored

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
Isnt chip making automated. Prob china holding us down

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
I was getting a drivers side visor replaced (under 5,000 miles, warranty repair, it just fell out of the ceiling) and talked with the Sales Manager about the lack of new cars in his lot. He said nothing is coming in. (South Carolina) About that time I see a portable parking lot coming down the road. (Car Hauler Tractor Trailer) full of brand new shiny cars. It pulled into the dealership next door. A Honda Dealer. Had to snicker a little.

AZ_JL

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon UL
I traded in my 18 JLUR a couple of weeks ago. Paid 41 plus TTTL, got 44k at trade in with 29k miles. I got the only Diesel JTDR on the lot, which surprisingly had incentives and discounts. Plus Jeep emailed me an offer of 3500 on top of that. Crazy times

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
There are literally 1000s of Gladiators for sale in Florida. I have seen lots with 40 to 70 listed.

Sponsored

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
We bought our Gladiator off the lot. We tried to order one but with the specific options we wanted the dealer couldn’t. They tried to submit the order and it wouldn’t go. Called corporate and were told ”no dice”.

I wanted a diesel and they had exactly one on the lot. A High Altitude in Granite Crystal. It’s a beautiful truck but has a way nicer interior than we were planning on. They knocked $4k off the sticker because we couldn’t order.

It was a Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram dealer and they had TWO trucks. One loaded 1/2 ton 4wd and a 2wd work truck. They also own a Chevy and a Ford dealership. It’s a freaking ghost town.

snide

First Name
Big Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator
The closest Jeep/RAM/Dodge dealer closest to me (Scranton PA area) normally has six or seven hundred vehicles in stock. Drove past their yesterday and two of their lots are completely empty. The main lot has mostly RAM trucks, a few Jeeps and maybe a dozen Fiats. Almost looks like they're going out of business, which isn't the case. Half the inventory on their website is "In Transit".

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
My wife would be all over that - I finally sold my 2004 WJ because - it rarely got driven, we were paying to insure it and licence it (although that part was cheap) and we could use the money elsewhere.
So down to 2 Jeeps and 2 cars now.
The goofy thing was that when I looked up NADA, KBB and so on for that WJ - the numbers were higher than when I looked them up to buy it in 2018.
So I had it all this time - got more than I paid for it.
Took the Colorado in to Carmax today and thy gave us online price quote. Was kind of shocked. Told the young man in the business office there after he process and handed me the equity check that they gave me $10K more than I bought it for back in Feb 2020 from them. He kind of laughed and told me I was not the first in these past weeks to say something similar.

alyn

First Name
Alyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator,2019 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Retired
Beware of market pricing! For several years the dealers have had to be aggressive in pricing due to competition. Now with market shortages look out. In our area JT's are slim and what's available nobody really wants. Bought ours on a whim. Walked into the dealer (back in March}. Played the game and left with a JTO that's about 95% of what i wanted. Traded a 2016 JKU Rubicon that we had bought used 3 years ago. Lost $3,000. Paid under invoice plus incentives for the JTO. Factory order and wait. Or buy the junk on the lots that they can't sell.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We were in Ankeny again (wife wanted to eat HuHot) and drove by Karl Chevrolet - a pretty large Chevy dealer. Their main lot was EMPTY. NOTHING. Only on their west side lot.
The view from the air below - imagine that with only about 5% or so of those vehicles. There is a row or so along Delaware. There is NOTHING on the north by Oralabor and the parts facing I35 are EMPTY, bare concrete. There are a few to the south - the right side of the pic, a handful.
Everything to the north (left in the pic) is empty, everything to the east (top of pic by I35) is empty, most to the right is gone, and only a row along the lower or west area.
When I went to their page that usually lists "new arrivals" it says "sorry, there is nothing that meets your criteria" even when you put nothing in there!

Jeep Gladiator Lots are mostly empty of new vehicles! karl-ma

Sponsored

moreirdan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland 2020
Occupation
Retired
Hyundai and Kia bring cars into the US on the East coast at Philadelphia and normally the lot under the Walt Whitman Bridge is full of cars. Right now, acres of concrete but 50 cars or so.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Isnt chip making automated. Prob china holding us down
the actual chip making, yes. but someone has to turn the machine on, someone has to box all the made parts, someone has to print a shipping label, someone has to schedule a pickup, someone has to drive the shipment, etc., etc.

There's an echo of lead time.

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
the actual chip making, yes. but someone has to turn the machine on, someone has to box all the made parts, someone has to print a shipping label, someone has to schedule a pickup, someone has to drive the shipment, etc., etc.

There's an echo of lead time.
Taiwan SemiConductor has most of the market. This is a good explanation video.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
We were in Ankeny again (wife wanted to eat HuHot) and drove by Karl Chevrolet - a pretty large Chevy dealer. Their main lot was EMPTY. NOTHING. Only on their west side lot.
The view from the air below - imagine that with only about 5% or so of those vehicles. There is a row or so along Delaware. There is NOTHING on the north by Oralabor and the parts facing I35 are EMPTY, bare concrete. There are a few to the south - the right side of the pic, a handful.
Everything to the north (left in the pic) is empty, everything to the east (top of pic by I35) is empty, most to the right is gone, and only a row along the lower or west area.
When I went to their page that usually lists "new arrivals" it says "sorry, there is nothing that meets your criteria" even when you put nothing in there!
I don't know if it's nostalgia or what, but I remember dealers in the 80s and 90s with lots stacked full of cars. Lines of them. Over the past 10-20 years it seems that lots are running 50% capacity across the board. Except some lots that are small to begin with.

Contrast that today's dealer problems and it's surreal. Luckily (or, from a buying perspective, unluckily) I live in a relatively economic-insulated area. We don't feel a lot of the ups and downs. Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, Costco, are the stalwarts.
Sponsored