piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
Another update.
I went ahead and sent Magnuson a email about the issues I was having since install and how unhappy I was with it from the daily driving aspect of it. Dealing with the dead pedal and light switch effect plus the shifting issues at cruising on the interstate.
The lead Tuner at Magnuson sent me an updated file to try. Now I do not believe that Magnuson adjusts anything in the TCM only the PCM, now this is just an assumption on my part as the tunes do not have anything in the transmission area.
I have to say that it drives really well in regards to the pedal issue, in fact it is back to being fun to drive again. Really smooth take offs and nice acceleration from when you slow down to turn and take back off. Have to say I am pretty happy with that part of it now. As far as the cruising and highway shifting. The hunting is pretty much gone now and cruises nice. Still not really happy with the way it handles 8th gear though. Takes a bit to get in to 8th and sometimes feels like it is right on the edge of staying in or coming out into 7th. Plus my cruising mileage is down from 14-17 to 12-14 mpg's.
To me it feels like is a bit sluggish at 77 mph and in 8th, so I am not sure if it just needs some attention in that area which would need either more data logging and looking just at that area or maybe even a dyno to get everything nailed down with the 37's and 4.88 gears.
All in all I am very pleased with the way it is now and do not plan on yanking it off anytime soon as I was when I started with all of this.
what RPM are you at when traveling at 77mph in 8th gear?
Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
The Tazer JL is the only device I know of right now that allows you to adjust tire and gear values. The latest stable version of HPtuners does not allow it, the beta version may, I do not know though.
The Pulsar by Edge allows you to adjust for re-gear and so does the Superchips Traildash2

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Goodness Did they give you any love for doing all their beta testing and trouble shooting for them??

I hate it when companies release a product, charge you THOUSANDS for it, and it isnt even a finished product. You cant tell me that they did any road testing what so ever with issues like you are having.

Hope it keeps getting better for you.....
I would suggest it is a finished product when applied to finished (stock) vehicles. Perhaps Magnuson should clarify that in their documentation. Custom modifications (literally thousands of combinations of gears, wheels, tires, etc.) will require a custom tune - and price that accordingly. I think it's pretty naive to expect a one-box, one-tune-fits all solution.

Again, I think it's important for all SC vendors to set that expectation up front.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Guess it is time for an update. The individual that is helping me get this dialed in (doing the tuning) has made great strides in getting this setup to have better drivability. With my tire size and gear ratio I believe it has thrown a whole nother factor into the tuning. The light switch acceleration is much much better, still there at times but better. I want to let the computer get used to these settings and see what happens.
We are going to work on one area at a time now. So we still need to take care of the highway cruising issues. Mainly not wanting to go into 8th while cruising and if it does, staying there and not hunting back and forth. At 77 mph it is better, for some reason at 60 it likes to hunt and jump between 6, 7 and 8th gear. Like I said we will work on those as we go.
The last thing will be to try and get some of the fuel mileage back when cruising, seems to have lost 2-3 mpgs when just cruising. I think it has something to do with the tune Pettys supplies, maybe with stock tires and all it may work but when you change tires and gears everything changes with it.
I know I can not thank the gentleman that is helping me enough. He has been quick to respond and has not lost it with me on a few issues I had with inputting tables (at least not in his responses to me ;) )
I will continue to follow up with the progress.
Pardon me for asking, but-
1) Did you send your ECU to Magnuson for programming?
2) If you did, was there some type of questionnaire regarding your specific vehicle configuration so they could tune accordingly?
Thanks!

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Let's clear some things up. Hypothetically the way the jeep is set up their control architecture the BCM carries all the gear and tire size information, so gear and tire and transfer case should not matter to the Powertrain Controller Module. With that being the case one file should.woek and work well. The problem is FCA's controller does not work as it hypothetically should. Even though those changes are in the BCM they do not get applied across the PCM and transmission control for all the needed tables. So long story short I do not think the aftermarket manufacturers maliciously developped a product that does not work across the board. The software on the Jeep has many hidden pitfalls that even Jeep I believe is struggling with.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just tried the new Magnuson file. It is pretty amazing what engine management can do these days. They have set that file up very similar to a centrifugal SC. It does not lean into the boost until you are way into it. Around town it drives pretty stock. Pretty sure they are heavily manipulating the torque tables, successfully I would add. My only complaint as it seems a bit down on power through the lower revs

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
what RPM are you at when traveling at 77mph in 8th gear? 2250
Pardon me for asking, but-
1) Did you send your ECU to Magnuson for programming? Yes
2) If you did, was there some type of questionnaire regarding your specific vehicle configuration so they could tune accordingly? No
Thanks!
When you do call or email them, they tell you that the tune is set up for a stock vehicle. This is what you will see at the bottom of the correspondence.

NOTE TO CUSTOMERS WITH MODIFIED VEHICLES: The Magnuson calibration included with this kit is intended to work on stock vehicle configurations, including stock trim levels and stock OEM vehicle options. Modifications to your stock vehicle including, but not limited to, engine, flywheel, clutch, torque converter, transmission, wheels, tires, axles, gears, driveshafts, induction system, exhaust system and additional weight (ie. bumpers, racks, etc.) can have a significant impact on your vehicle’s calibration and may require modifications to our calibration as supplied. While we attempt to minimize the need for modifications during our development process, it is impossible for our team to account for all possible build variations/combinations, and in some cases it may be necessary for you to supply an additional element of customization for your vehicle—custom calibration—and to work, at your own direction and expense, with a local service facility to address your unique combination of hardware and make calibration adjustments as necessary. Please be aware that standard product warranties and governmental emissions certifications are predicated on stock vehicle configurations, and vehicle modifications and calibration changes may affect or even void powertrain warranty and emissions certification status (such as CARB emissions certification). It is the sole responsibility of the customer making a warranty claim to prove that any vehicle modifications and calibration changes were within warranty. It also is the sole responsibility of the customer to determine if the modifications and changes comply with all local, state and federal emissions standards.

Like I have said before. They did at least give me 2 updated tunes and luckily the second one got it so at least it is fun to drive again. I do believe it needs to be refined some to match my tires and gears, so we will see what happens now.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you JT for letting me know about that file. Hats off to whomever worked on it. Petty/Magnuson. I cleared my ECM and flashed the whole tune over, lock stock and barrel, even down to the injector constants. This is a HUGE improvement. This should satisfy most people. It is extremely close to a factory refined calibration. Light switch effect is absolutely gone. Petty if your listening this is the tune you should distribute. If I had to nitpick I would say it feels a bit down on power, but 1000% more driveabilty. After review, my guess is this file is built upon the FCA update for misfire, as there are ample changes to parameters that set those diagnostics in the ingnition portion of the tune. For whatever reason the tune still does not utilize the Error correction feature for Torque bobble when the throttle body oscillates, but my jeep quickly adapted and stopped surging after about 20 miles. This tune heavily modifies the torque model, and the modifications are pretty complex, leaving me to wonder if this was partially some FCA changes. All in all if you can get this calibration with your Magnuson, you have nothing to worry about, it is better than factory throttle pedal from a stop and all of that PD howl you ever wanted. Sucks I put so much work into my file LOL. Oh well I will take how ever I can get it.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you JT for letting me know about that file. Hats off to whomever worked on it. Petty/Magnuson. I cleared my ECM and flashed the whole tune over, lock stock and barrel, even down to the injector constants. This is a HUGE improvement. This should satisfy most people. It is extremely close to a factory refined calibration. Light switch effect is absolutely gone. Petty if your listening this is the tune you should distribute. If I had to nitpick I would say it feels a bit down on power, but 1000% more driveabilty. After review, my guess is this file is built upon the FCA update for misfire, as there are ample changes to parameters that set those diagnostics in the ingnition portion of the tune. For whatever reason the tune still does not utilize the Error correction feature for Torque bobble when the throttle body oscillates, but my jeep quickly adapted and stopped surging after about 20 miles. This tune heavily modifies the torque model, and the modifications are pretty complex, leaving me to wonder if this was partially some FCA changes. All in all if you can get this calibration with your Magnuson, you have nothing to worry about, it is better than factory throttle pedal from a stop and all of that PD howl you ever wanted. Sucks I put so much work into my file LOL. Oh well I will take how ever I can get it.
So... been following this thread and drooling where appropriate, but how about listing the tune names so we know what to look for?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to be clear so no one is surprised. this file does not carry any warranty or support of the supercharger system or the rest of the jeep. I am developing this for my own ride and I am happy to share it for others to use and learn. I will be happy to discuss issues and work on those if possible.

This latest revision has significant changes to the airflow model and throttle implementation. Unlike the latest Petty tune. My tune works around the premise of bringing the SC on right away to avoid light switch effect. This still may be a bit aggressive for some. I think it is pretty fun :)

If you have an automatic there is a fair bit of trans tuning that has been done to utilize and smooth out the power delivery.

For those requesting the latest Magnuson/Petty Update, I would encourage you to reach out to them. 1. this could possibly help retain your warranty 2. For those who are not into tinkering this file is supported by the company.

I don't think it is fair or right for me to be distributing their work, unless they say it is OK.

Attachments

Sponsored

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
You are going to force me to try this aren't you!?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would if I were you. It has some pep lol. I way smoothed out the trans.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Just to be clear so no one is surprised. this file does not carry any warranty or support of the supercharger system or the rest of the jeep. I am developing this for my own ride and I am happy to share it for others to use and learn. I will be happy to discuss issues and work on those if possible.

This latest revision has significant changes to the airflow model and throttle implementation. Unlike the latest Petty tune. My tune works around the premise of bringing the SC on right away to avoid light switch effect. This still may be a bit aggressive for some. I think it is pretty fun :)

If you have an automatic there is a fair bit of trans tuning that has been done to utilize and smooth out the power delivery.

For those requesting the latest Magnuson/Petty Update, I would encourage you to reach out to them. 1. this could possibly help retain your warranty 2. For those who are not into tinkering this file is supported by the company.

I don't think it is fair or right for me to be distributing their work, unless they say it is OK.
Please repost your vehicle's specific configuration with the file post so we can understand how to reference the file.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Sport S Max Tow 35s two inch lift with 4:10s
Thank you. I have my JTR going on 37s with 4:88 gearing and haven't yet decided which unit to go with, Magnuson or Edlebrock.
I run an Edelbrock on my 2014 JKUR on 37s with 5:13s but it is a manual... that's why I'm watching what's going on here.
I like the Magnuson because it looks like it puts out a bit more than the Edelbrock. But then there are things I like about the Edelbrock over the Magnuson.
Sponsored